should I get a docking station or docking printer for a digital camera?

denisekraemer

You dont need anything like that. The docking station usally is just a stand with a usb port and the printers arent the best of value. they cost a lot of money to run. you'd be better off ordering prints online from walmart

before reading the thread was going to suggest that as well...if it comes with it for no extra, sure...might use it a few times...but prints are very cheap at walmart and you can send you order in online and go pick them up whenever you want.

I have one for Hubby's easy share Kodak. I am not impressed. Much prefer my cheapy card reader that works for all kinds of media.

All you do is insert your card and the pics load.

Also, the battery charger on the easy share stopped working.

I also agree on ordering prints, much more cost effective and better prints.

JMHO

I agree with everyone else on the docking station.

I have a print dock that came in a bundle.

It charges the camera as well and easily "shares" your pictures w/the computer.

I've not printed ONE single pic, b/c the refils are so high. I think you are better off w/rechargeable batteries and the card reader someone else suggested.

I've got a card reader in my computer and that's how I t'fer the pics.

Since the dock in not "in use" it's in a cabinet under the desk and that's where I have to charge the camera. Not the most convenient thing.

My MIL bought me the camera and docking printer for Christmas last year and I really like mine. It's easy to use and really good for charging your camera. Mine prints very clear so it's great for printing snapshots. My daughter also likes it because it's so easy. You just set the camera on it push a button and out it comes. The docking station without the printer seems useless to me.

These are gimmick items. You don't need a dock if you are running XP. Just plug the camera in and it recognizes it as a drive. You can drag and drop or cut and paste the shots onto your PC.

As far as printers go you can get much better prints for much cheaper by printing them out at Sanpfish.com (via mail 11cents, pickup @ Walgreens 19cents) or Walmart.com for about the same price.

I'd be sort of interested in a docking station if they also charge batteries, I think it'd be nice. I don't know much (anything?) about them though...

That is one useful feature but I just use regular AA rechargeables from CostCo/Sam's Club.

Let's say you're in a remote Kenyan village with a 7 Eleven and they only sell alkaline batteries.

What if you're stuck with your PROPRIETARY LITHIUM ION batteries? Wouldn't that suck? Yes it would.

AA for the win!

okay so are ya'll saying that if I get a Kodak camera with the printer dock, I can still hook it up to my computer and download the pictures? What extra cords or whatever would I need?

I have the docking cradle, that recharges my batteries and downloads my pictures. We were going to buy another one that just comes with the cradle, not the printer because I like having the pictures on my computer to share. I would like to have the printer too, but between the 2 we chose the regular dock. We thought we could only use the printer to charge and print.

I know that my dad has the Kodak camera with the printer dock, and he told me he can't connect it to his computer and download the pictures. He could definitely be wrong! lol, he probably didn't read all the instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can still hook it up to my computer and download the pictures? What extra cords or whatever would I need?

Yes you can, you need the USB cable which should come with the digicam. It connects from the digicam to your computers USB port.

Or you can remove the media (small memory card) and use a card reader. Personally I prefer the USB cable method.

Look at the box or owners manual, it should have a list of contents.

okay so are ya'll saying that if I get a Kodak camera with the printer dock, I can still hook it up to my computer and download the pictures? What extra cords or whatever would I need?

I have the docking cradle, that recharges my batteries and downloads my pictures. We were going to buy another one that just comes with the cradle, not the printer because I like having the pictures on my computer to share. I would like to have the printer too, but between the 2 we chose the regular dock. We thought we could only use the printer to charge and print.

I know that my dad has the Kodak camera with the printer dock, and he told me he can't connect it to his computer and download the pictures. He could definitely be wrong! lol, he probably didn't read all the instructions.

It comes with the USB cable to hook up. Just plug it up and you're good to go.

The printer dock can do everything the regular one does plus print the pics. You don't have to have either one to get the pics on your computer. You can use your memory card or the USB cord that came with your camera (at least mine did) The camera/dock comes with all the software needed so you don't have to have either one. I just think the printer is handy and good for charging the batteries in my camera (I'll be sure to pack my AA's the next time I visit that remote Kenyan village.).:tongue1:

That is one useful feature but I just use regular AA rechargeables from CostCo/Sam's Club.

Let's say you're in a remote Kenyan village with a 7 Eleven and they only sell alkaline batteries.

AA for the win!

AA for your camera and a nice cold big gulp to recharge you! :banana01:

Might be same as Sams - heard WM has a decent 4 battery recharger with batteries for between $15-$18.

What if you're stuck with your PROPRIETARY LITHIUM ION batteries? Wouldn't that suck? Yes it would.

AA for the win!

:clapping: The Kodak c360 at Costco comes with a docking station. Sure it's nice but at a cost of $200 is it worth it? I can get up in the morning and get the c360 at bb for $129. Hmmmmmm:homer:

:clapping: The Kodak c360 at Costco comes with a docking station. Sure it's nice but at a cost of $200 is it worth it? I can get up in the morning and get the c360 at bb for $129. Hmmmmmm:homer:

Not really, I bought my Kodak DockingStation (before selling it because it sucks so bad) for around $40 after coupon.

Go for the cheaper $129. With the difference buy some rechargeable batteries and other accessories.