Walmart forced to stay closed on Thanksgiving

ravi7791

Walmarts here in MA want to stay open on Thanksgiving but the governer is forcing them stay closed. Only the Pharmacy can be opened.

Is walmart open where you live?

Correction - it is NOT Gov. Romney - it is Attorney General Tom Reilly who has appparently re-discovered MA's ancient "Blue Laws". It seems that this whole mess began when AG Reilly threatened Whole Foods, after Whole Foods competitor Shaw's complained to the AG about WF's planned "Blue Laws" violation. Then the AG's office claims it received complaints from employees of other retail stores, who were then also contacted.

Gov. Romney actually said that he doesn't really have a problem with WM being open, but he will not (and probably can not practically at this late date) contest the AG's decision.

There are a number of stories starting to appear on this topic. This one seems to cover most of it:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/11/23/holiday_warning_issued_to_retailers/

I think its okay. Give these underpaid employees a day off to enjoy the Holiday like so many others! What is the problem with that?

It would be nice, in theory, for all employees to have the day off, more like it used to be. But I've also seen in other threads that some of these employees very much want or need the overtime money they earn on holidays.

Walmarts here in MA want to stay open on Thanksgiving but the governer is forcing them stay closed. Only the Pharmacy can be opened.

Is walmart open where you live?

I don't care because I have been Walmart free for 4 years

So will Mitt be our next candidate for pres?

I think there is a post somewhere that I read about Kmart being closed in MA also, that must be the reason.... I feel bad for you all, because I am itching to go shopping so bad I will probably have to hit kmart or walmart up for something tomorrow.

Andrea

Can't believe that all the Blue Laws haven't been challenged in courts. Separation of church and state and all that.

Well they don't tell you you have to go to church. ;) And Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday.

But I really did hate not being able to buy alcohol on Sunday when I went to college in Indiana. :)