Black Friday 5-Year Flashback - Walmart & Best Buy BF ad front pages from 2007

Brad

i think that was the year i waited in a toys r us line all night (i was pregnant with third kid then) - my boys both wanted leapsters. :) i remember reading 3 books in their entirety. it was a wonderful night. i was alone (with many, many MANY other people, lol).

i did go to walmart afterwards and picked up cheap dvds though. don't remember now what they were. . .. .

fun memories!

If I may go back even further in time I shall share something funny with all of you. Today, in the WalMart Black Friday ad, WalMart advertises Mario Kart DS (Not Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS mind you) as being on sale for $29.86. Well a long time ago WAY back in the year 2005, Target, of all places was advertising the very same game for $28. That's right apparently NOT all things get cheaper with age. With a deal that is so facepalm worthy, it also makes you wonder if you could take a copy of Target's 2005 Black Friday and get a price match TODAY (as in this year) at WalMart. I think if you were successful that would be a story of near legendary proportions. Imagine it, "Person price matches seven year old Target ad to save a $1.86 at WalMart!"

Just think then, Target could issue the following statement, "The reason we here at Target chose NOT to put out a competitive ad was because we simply did not need to. Our deals on offer from seven years ago trumped that of our competitor's offers TODAY. As a result, by not offering a super competitive ad we were able to save money and continue to offer high quality products to our valued customers. Add to that any customers who were truly looking for a great deal could just have brought our old ads to our local competitors and have done a price match. We would have imagined among the chaos during the infamous, Black Friday, that our competitors hardly recognized our ads as being outdated. Putting all this together, we will pull ahead this holiday season by not having given away all our products at non-profitable prices, unlike our competitors who will surely see large dips into the red as a result of our customers having price matched with our old ads."

ANYWAYS..... I remember that 2007 was the first year I stood inline at Best Buy. It was at a new Best Buy store and I was first in line. Yes I was a bit ill-prepared but I had quite the fun.