Black Friday Bartering

VaderGCP

That's not cool

So if someone camps out in front of the store, waiting for several hours to get items it is somehow wrong for them to offer this item to someone else in exchange for compensation? Is that person's time not worth anything? I would gladly pay someone to wait in line for me so that I could get the items that they did not want.

ND

So if someone camps out in front of the store, waiting for several hours to get items it is somehow wrong for them to offer this item to someone else in exchange for compensation? Is that person's time not worth anything? I would gladly pay someone to wait in line for me so that I could get the items that they did not want.

ND

Yeah, pretty much. They do the tickets so it's first come, first served. Not so people can sell the opportunity to buy an item. :rolleyes: Screwing over a guy who waited nearly as long as you did is not in the spirit of deal hunting or the holiday season, and it's a poor reflection of our society.

That's about the long and short of it.

Do what you want though, why do you care what other people think?

Yeah, pretty much. They do the tickets so it's first come, first served. Not so people can sell the opportunity to buy an item. :rolleyes: Screwing over a guy who waited nearly as long as you did is not in the spirit of deal hunting or the holiday season, and it's a poor reflection of our society.

Im behind you mugs...

I personally don't care what other people think. If you do then that is your own choice. The same way that people pay for a lawn service or a housekeeper, a person can pay someone for their time in line, a service that they are providing. Sure they could simply give the item to someone else for what it cost them, but that would be their choice not anyone else's. Why should it be viewed as screwing over a guy who waited nearly as long? Just like you said, first come, first served. I suppose that selling the item on ebay to someone who did not want to venture out on that day would be screwing over a guy too? Spirit of deal hunting? Give me a break. Entrepreneurship is alive and well and I salute the people who are creative in their ways of providing services to others. Bottom line: How much is your time worth?

ND

Like Don King would say: "ONLY IN AMERICA!"

I don't think I'd sell any extra tickets I would get but I would trade them to someone for an item or just pretend like im playing dumb around the item and see who REALLY wants it.

Or I could just offer to some cute girl. :)

ONLY IN AMERICA!

Guest Deals4Me

yeah i will be first and taking every ticket, including that stupid 2 dollar alarm clock(kidding lol) but bartering works if nothing you can make someone feel good or get a phone number lol

:flame::fryingpan:2bat:

Thats really anal. I hope you can feel good about yourself...IF you dont NEED/WANT whats tehre, then leave it, and the person who wanted it...CAN get it.

I've done that before at WM. The woman had waited in line as long as I had and we both wanted things that were at opposites ends of the store so we each got things for the other and then met up at the big thing that we had wanted (my sister went and sat on them for us as the had to have 2 people to put into the buggy). I don't see anything wrong with it. Makes me feel good to know that not everybody feels the need to act horrible on BF. Besides we both made some kiddies very happy that year.

Yes it sucks that people do this but how is it any different than people buying stuff cheap and selling it on ebay for more or even stores that buy the stuff for cheap and make a profit? It really isn't that much different and we do live in America where it's all about the money. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but when there is an opportunity to make money, people will jump on it.

I personally don't care what other people think. If you do then that is your own choice. The same way that people pay for a lawn service or a housekeeper, a person can pay someone for their time in line, a service that they are providing. Sure they could simply give the item to someone else for what it cost them, but that would be their choice not anyone else's. Why should it be viewed as screwing over a guy who waited nearly as long? Just like you said, first come, first served. I suppose that selling the item on ebay to someone who did not want to venture out on that day would be screwing over a guy too? Spirit of deal hunting? Give me a break. Entrepreneurship is alive and well and I salute the people who are creative in their ways of providing services to others. Bottom line: How much is your time worth?

ND

I didn't want to turn this thread into an argument, so this will be my last post in it. If you'd like to continue the discussion, feel free to PM me.

How much is my time worth? Well let me think... how much did I charge a fellow Gottadealer when I made two trips to Kohl's and went to two different post offices to save her $15-20 on a pair of shoes? Nothing. Actually I told her I'd cover the shipping, so it cost me $8.

How much did another Gottadealer (DigDoug) charge me when he used his own Buy.com account to order a GPS for me so he could use his coupon and save me $15? Not a dime.

How much do Ross and Brad charge for the hours they spend working on this site and answering people's questions here in the forums? Nothing, of course. Many people here know Ross and Brad from another site, Anandtech, where they've been offering the same help they do here for years. I remember a time when Ross even set up a temporary 800 number so people could call him up and ask him anything they wanted. What a guy! He never asks how much his time is worth.

That's what this site is all about, helping people out. Taking the information they freely provide and using it to make a profit off my fellow man just doen't sit right with me.

You have no idea what an entrepreneur is.

Well said mugs!! I think it's rude to take tickets for something you have no interest in actually getting, especially if you plan to profit from it by selling the tickets to others. It's also not in the spirit of the holidays. If everyone followed that lead, next year we'll be paying a membership fee for this site. Having worked at BB, I also look at this from their perspective. We normally end up with 1 or 2 of the doorbuster computers from people who didn't claim their ticket. Once the doorbuster time ends and the price goes up, these systems are not a deal at all. You can normally get a better system for the same price or even less. And these models are often brought in just for BF. So then it's very difficult for the store to unload them. If enough stores have a few left overs, then perhaps next year they'll cut back on the quantity they give each store and then people will be left out.

2 years ago I gave away the bestbuy desktop ticket to a woman who looked like she needed it more than I. She was almost in tears saying this was the only way she could afford the computer to the sales clerk. I waited for him to say no ticket no pc. I just gave her mine. I was going to resell it anyway and figured it was a nice christmas gesture.

I king of agree with mugs... You spend you time camped out all night becaus there is something at a store that you want. I agree that if you are there as one of the lucky first few, that you are entitled to any of those ticket items. However, how would you feel if you were #11 in line and the first ten people took the only 10 tickets to the item you were there for and none of them actually wanted the item? Didn't you camp out all night practicaly too? I think it's a bit .... I don't want to say selfish or greedy....but it's just not quite the right thing to do.

How could I put this nicely, if someone does that where I'll be the locals will take the person out back and beat them into a pulp and then take all of the idiots tickets. The cops will laugh for about 15 minutes and then haul the person beatup off for the day for being a public disturbance.

Why? because people who think they can make a profit out of it will not be tollerated.

well my opinion on this is its first come first serve...... it is not my fault that the other people can not get their as early as i do. if people are willing to pay me enough for a ticket im not going to say no. i plan on being at best buy earlier this year... i only geting one of the big ticketed items. when it comes to passs out the tickets i will be taking all of that i cant get. last year i used the dvdplayer ticket to get ahead of line in the office max line.... which opened like 20min after i was shoping in best buy.....

so my opinion is if someone is willing to pay/trade/barter for a ticket then do it

There is no difference between selling the tickets and buying the item then selling it on EBay. I am going out to Best Buy, along with others with the same idea as myself, at 9:30!!!! PM. Look at it this way. That Laptop is going to be $379 and it is regularly $750. You can get it on EBay for $550-$600 range. If I sell my ticket for that Laptop to someone for $30...they are still saving a LOT of money. They are paying me for the time I spent sitting in the 30 degree weather. Don't wanna buy a ticket from me? Get there at 9

How could I put this nicely, if someone does that where I'll be the locals will take the person out back and beat them into a pulp and then take all of the idiots tickets. The cops will laugh for about 15 minutes and then haul the person beatup off for the day for being a public disturbance.

Why? because people who think they can make a profit out of it will not be tollerated.

And as for that...I think we can handle ourselves :sidesplit:sidesplit

I have to say that I am so proud that Mugs is such a wonderful person. You are so right, Mugs. I personally feel that even though we are all looking for great deals, it is still the CHRISTMAS SEASON!!! If you use this sort of situation to "get ahead" you are making yourself no better than all of the selfish, ignorant people we have to deal with all year. I am so proud of all of you who do as I do, if the chance is given to me and not someone else to get the hard to get items, I take them. Then in turn for my good luck, I will GIVE them to someone who wants or needs them. GET SOME HOLIDAY SPIRIT and SOME RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN, and QUIT BEING SO GREEDY. You may need something from someone one day and not be able to pay for it, WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!!!