Best Buy to match online rivals' prices this holiday season - updated 10/15

Brad

lol...game changer. That was a popular word last BF season

I'll believe it when they make rules/req known.

From HERE :

Best Buy is still working out the details of its Internet price-matching program, which might exclude some products.

Edited by tinkrbel

What I suspect will happen:

"Hi I want to buy this and price match it to Amazon."

"Oh ok you're going to have to see that person in customer service"

*walk to customer service*

"I want to price match this."

"To Amazon? In the super tiny print we only price match Amazon prices on Tuesdays with a full moon."

lol...game changer. That was a popular word last BF season

I'll believe it when they make rules/req known.

From HERE :

Best Buy is still working out the details of its Internet price-matching program, which might exclude some products.

I am with you on this one! Other sites are already poo pooing the initiative.

Story from Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20121012-710127.html

BB will only match prices on appliances and electronics hardware, such as cameras, computers, tablets, televisions, MP3 players and gaming consoles.

There are 20 online retailers they will match, including Amazon, Newegg & Buy.com. No 3rd party sellers on these sites.

They will only match pre-tax prices.

And the big one... price matching will not be done the entire week of Black Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
We just did this last night. Went in to get a new Epson printer that was priced at $279.99, got to the counter and asked for the price match and showed the clerk the online price at B&H for the same printer with free shipping for $179.00. The only slight issue was that it took 4-5 minutes for a manager to arrive to approve the new price but other than that it was easy and pain free. Saved $100.99 for 5 minutes time, I prefer to buy in store and if they continue this policy then I will start buying from BB again.

Thanks for the report!!

We just did this last night. Went in to get a new Epson printer that was priced at $279.99, got to the counter and asked for the price match and showed the clerk the online price at B&H for the same printer with free shipping for $179.00. The only slight issue was that it took 4-5 minutes for a manager to arrive to approve the new price but other than that it was easy and pain free. Saved $100.99 for 5 minutes time, I prefer to buy in store and if they continue this policy then I will start buying from BB again.

Last time I check a printer was technically a "computer accessory" which should be excluded. Guess I should see if they'll price match on a pair of monitors.

You know, I always see people bashing Best Buy, and sometimes I understand...others I don't. I understand when you are complaining about customer service and things like that. What I don't understand is when people complain about their prices being higher than some competitors. My husband works for Best Buy's distribution, so he gets the store discount - I will not say what discount they get because I don't know if it's allowed - but I will tell you that their discount is a certain percentage above cost. Meaning my husband pays only a certain percent more than what it costs Best Buy to get it, and it's a very low percentage btw. And let me tell you, when we buy tv's or computers or anything like that, most of the time the SALE price is better than his discount!! Don't get me wrong, I know they gouge you on the smaller items (you would be surprised!!) But really, you can't blame a company for trying to sell things at a profit....profit is the point of opening the store. And BB being a specialty store, they don't have all the other small things and general items other stores have that they can gouge you on. So of course they've got to charge a few bucks more here and there. I don't hear anyone complaining about Walmart and Amazon's prices. Yet they are making MORE money on us than BB is. It all boils down to the fact that other stores might be able to charge the $50 less on that tv because they'll make it up when you buy that toaster or that throw pillow you saw and had to have.

And btw, most stores that price match won't do it on black friday. Thankfully a few do, but that's not the norm. When your store consists pretty much of only high priced things you would be a fool to price match on BF.

Edited by ap72403
grammatical error

One thing it will not offer this year is price-matching, Brim says. It plans to suspend that policy for the week of Black Friday. So it will be more important than ever to comparison shop before making a purchase there.

Just copied and pasted this from money.msn.Its not just black friday but the whole week

Copied from their website:

Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, Deal of the Day items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, Deal of the Day items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Well they have never price matched on BF, interesting they're going the whole weekend.

Copied from their website:

Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.

So if I buy one of their BF ad items tomorrow, can I bring the receipt in on the day of BF and get a price adjustment?