Satellite radio on BF

allystl

I am looking to buy my boyfriend satellite radio for Xmas. And I see a couple deals out there for BF. I know nothing about this radio. All I know is he wants the one that you can move from the car to the house to work. Anyone have any ideas which I should buy? Any feedback from those that may already have it is appreciated. I only have a few days to prepare. yikes. :bonk: Thanks!

I am looking to buy my boyfriend satellite radio for Xmas. And I see a couple deals out there for BF. I know nothing about this radio. All I know is he wants the one that you can move from the car to the house to work. Anyone have any ideas which I should buy? Any feedback from those that may already have it is appreciated. I only have a few days to prepare. yikes. :bonk: Thanks!

I've got both the Old Sony PnP, the SkyFi2, and a Roady2, and #2 son has the MyFi ... Personally, I'd get the SkyFi2, unless he wants the 5 hr harddrive (NOT FOR MP3 ... purely for 5 hours of XM) ...

Alternatively, get XM2GO (either the Delphi MyFi, the Tao XM2Go, or the Pioneer XM2Go) ... The Delphi MyFi (apparently) has the worst satelite pickup when using it as a portable, but when in the car or home kit, they are all the same.

Cheapest place I've seen for the SkyFi2 is : https://espromotions.xmradio.com/xm/ (use the code "xmbbxm03") ... it is not a BF sale, so wait till closer to the time, since it requires 3 months subscription to get the low price.

If you do go to the link above, I'd recommend that you get the "Delphi SkyFi 2 BoomBox Bundle" which comes with a 6 month subscription commitment, (3 months paid at time of purchase) ... currently, these are $29 (no rebates etc). you can get home kits and car kits from just about anywhere including WM, BB, CC, etc all for around $50. (That way he can use the Home Kit at home, the Boombox at the office, and the Car kit for the journey between :D ... )

The also do the Pioneer XM2Go, the Delphi MyFi and the Tao XM2Go ... all $99 inc. both car and home kits.

Also, note

1) purchases from the website above are not entitled to the $50 rebate

2) The Roady2 is a nice unit, but it is designed for in-car use, although home kits are available for $50.

This is all assuming you want XM Radio and not Sirius.

Never ask which is better, XM or Sirius.... Intel or AMD ... PC or Apple ... TiVo or ReplayTV ... you'll get a lot of responses ... most of which come from people who only bought into one technology.

@

Sirius

Subscribers: >2.1m

Listener MarketShare: 30%

Retail Sales: 41% (Q3 2005)

Including pre-installed Vehicle Sales: 37% (Q3 2005)

Financials: Total Worth: $9.80bn. Cashflow: $-357m

Exclusives:

Howard Stern (good reason to get XM :D)

Martha Stewart

Sports:

NFL

NBA

NHL

College sports

English Soccer

Plans:

monthly: $12.95

12-month: $142.45 ($11.87/month) (break even after 11 months)

24-month: $271.95 ($11.33/month) (break even after 21 months)

lifetime: $499.99 (break even after 38 months) (available until Jan 06)

multi-subscriptions (ie radios #2-4) are $6.99 month.

XM

Subscribers: >5m

Listener MarketShare: 70%

Retail Sales: 59% (Q3 2005)

Including pre-installed Vehicle Sales: 63% (Q3 2005)

Also available online (free for subscribers) and via DirecTV (soon)

Financials: Total Worth: $6.65bn. Cashflow: $-189m

Exclusives:

Opie and Anthony (good reason for Sirius :D)

Bob Edwards

Snoop Dogg

Tom Petty

Quincy Jones

VH-1

MTV

Sports:

Nascar

MLB

ACC / Pac-10 / Big10 (college Sports)

Plans:

monthly: $12.95

12-month: $142.45 ($11.87/month) (break even after 11 months)

24-month: $271.95 ($11.33/month) (break even after 21 months)

36-month: $359.64 ($9.99/month) (break even after 27 months)

48-month: $479.52 ($9.99/month) (break even after 37 months)

60-month: $599.40 ($9.99/month) (break even after 46 months)

Multi-subscriptions (ie radios #2-5) are $6.99 month.

With XM if you buy a multi-year package, and cancel early, you will recieve a prorated refund ...

Which is better? depends on what you want.

@

Albrandwood -- do you know if on that link you gave above if in the agreement that you have to check, if they verify this information or not. I was thinking of getting the boyfriend xm and this looks like the best deal I've found.

""By accepting the terms and conditions of the offer, you certify that you are a current employee of this retailer and agree that XM Satellite Radio reserves the right to charge the full MSRP plus other applicable fees and taxes at any time if this information cannot be verified, or if you are not authorized to redeem this offer. ""

Appreciate the help

Wow, thanks for all the very comprehensive help. I think I'm leaning towards Sirius. He loves sports. And he was very specific about how he wanted to be able to listen in the house while playing his PSP, another gift this year. So, I guess I'll see if I can find any info on the home and car kit. Hopefully, CompUSA or someone else has that super cheap this year! You guys are great!

This is on sale right now at B/Buy...Delphi Roady 2 XM Satellite Radio - $29.99

Comes with the car kit and they also give you a $25.00 B/Buy gift card. I need to show this to wifey...hint...hint...lol:wife: :wife:

And to think that just a few weeks ago I paid $49.99 for the Roady2 and the car kit and Best Buy, with no gift card promo..... :slapcry:

-Mark-

COLOR] Okay guys. PAY ATTENTION!! I'm not sure about the link Albrandwood submited. I checked it out because I'm in the same boat as allystl in not knowing what to buy. You have to check that you agree with the terms/conditions of placing an order which include you MUST BE an XM employee. If they can't verify, they will charge you the difference in pricing later when/if they catch it. I'm not sure I want to risk it. SOOO I went to Crutchfield.com and called the 800 number to get some advice! The gentleman told me the Delphi Skyfi2 is the best xm for right now. So that's the model I chose. They also sell this for $79.00 (msrp $129.99) PLUS the $50rebate is still good, so you get it for $29.99 w/free shipping...NOW THAT'S A DEAL!!! :) I'm a happy camper. As a side note, the guy also told me he just switched his service from XM to Sirius. He said he just liked the programming better (rock music and Howard Stern). Anyway check out Crutchfield! They are very helpful and great pricing!

Thanks so uch Princess. I'm glad you finally chose one! I'm still going crazy! Although, I think I'm leaning towards Sirius because of the programming too. My dilemma may be solved though. I read a post by "general" who stated he heard BB was giving out free XM radio receivers to the first few! And I intend to be #1.

COLOR] The gentleman told me the Delphi Skyfi2 is the best xm for right now. So that's the model I chose. They also sell this for $79.00 (msrp $129.99) PLUS the $50rebate is still good, so you get it for $29.99 w/free shipping...NOW THAT'S A DEAL!!! :) I'm a happy camper. As a side note, the guy also told me he just switched his service from XM to Sirius. He said he just liked the programming better (rock music and Howard Stern). Anyway check out Crutchfield! They are very helpful and great pricing!

Is the one you ordered just a receiver or is it a combo pack with the car kit included?

Thanks for letting me know. The reason I was asking is that Circuit City has the combo for $129.99 then with the $50 rebate it ends up being $79.99 plus free shipping. I was just trying to figure out which would be the better deal. It looks like they will both average out to be about the same price.

Albrandwood -- do you know if on that link you gave above if in the agreement that you have to check, if they verify this information or not. I was thinking of getting the boyfriend xm and this looks like the best deal I've found.

""By accepting the terms and conditions of the offer, you certify that you are a current employee of this retailer and agree that XM Satellite Radio reserves the right to charge the full MSRP plus other applicable fees and taxes at any time if this information cannot be verified, or if you are not authorized to redeem this offer. ""

Appreciate the help

Yeah - that appears to be a technicallity ...

In the 2 years that the deal has been on other forums, there have not been any reports of the company ever verifing or charging retail.

There are known problems with adding these to existing family plans. There are also known issues where the radios arrive, and are set up before the billing information is passed to XM ... but those are usually cleared up by waiting a couple of days.

The company behind it, is actually just a fulfillment company for XM-Radio (as well as TiVo and DirecTV amoung others).

Hope this helps.

@shley

When buying this $29.99 what other things,equipment do you need to buy?

How does it work in the car? you remove your old radio? VERY interested in this item now...

With regard to the SkyFi2, or Roady2, the car/home kits are "docking" stations that give easy access to the provided antennas, power supplies and tape/stereo cabling. You don't _need_ to use a docking station, but by the time you purchase an antenna, and power supply, you may as well by a docking station for it.

Specific to the SkyFi2 sized units are the boomboxes ... these will allow you to listen to XM wherever you have a south visible sky, and batteries.... great for the beach.

Most XM (and I'd assume Sirius) satelite radio have FM broadcasting abilities ... this means that they will work with any existing car radio (assuming you can find a useable channel). Alternatively, if you have a cassette player in the car, you can use a standard cassette adapter for those. The exception to the rule is the XMDirect adapter (this is for integrated in-car systems)

With regard to the XMDirect - These are designed to be installed in your car ... they are effectively a two-part installation, as they use special adapters to integrate with existing radios... These are available for some DaimlerChrysler, Ford and other models. With OEM equipment, they usually pretend to be CD Changers. Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood and others, they have dedicated adapters that allow the use of the XMDirect.

XMDirect + Adpters are a much neater solution for the car, not having any visible wires, permenant mounted antennas etc, but generally cost more than the transportable units such as XMCommander, XM Roady2, XM SkyFi2.

There is also an unauthorized adapter to allow XMDirect to be connected to a PC, and controlled through a USB port. Note that in these cases, the sound is _NOT_ played through the PC. Only control is made from the PC.

For the Home Audio systems, there are limited options ... XM has the Polk "reference audio reciever" which has digital outputs for high quality sound. Yamaha & Sony (amoung others) have also released a couple of HomeTheatre Recievers that have built in XM recievers, and just need a special XM Antenna ($50) to be used... Expect any of these Home Audio versions to be pricey though.

Hope this is more help ...

@

My hubby drives a truck and I bought him Sirius but do not know where to go and get an adapter so that he can plug it into a CD player. It came with a tape player adapter but cannot get info on what to do. Also I am looking the Antenna, help me we have a year sub. and for several months it has not been hooked since he got a new truck with a cd player. I am sure he would appreciate having it back. thx

First find out if he wants XM or Sirius. I like the channels offered on Sirius a lot better than what XM offers. No Howard Stern on XM for example.... Better rock stations on Sirius. Do your homework before buying a satellite radio!

Yeah - that appears to be a technicallity ...

In the 2 years that the deal has been on other forums, there have not been any reports of the company ever verifing or charging retail.

There are known problems with adding these to existing family plans. There are also known issues where the radios arrive, and are set up before the billing information is passed to XM ... but those are usually cleared up by waiting a couple of days.

The company behind it, is actually just a fulfillment company for XM-Radio (as well as TiVo and DirecTV amoung others).

Hope this helps.

@shley

Ok,

As a followup, according to other forums, Opie and Anthony are telling listeners to use the code : OPIANTXM6 ...

Since they are broadcasting this on XM, one would assume that this is open to anyone.

@

I went ahead and used the "xmbbxm03" to get the SkiFi2 w/Car Kit for Free + Free Shipping. The paragraph in whole states that you are an employee of the retailer (not XM) OR authorized to use the the code. The code above "xmbbxm03" is for Best Buy employees. There is a similar code that does the same thing "xmccxm03" that is for Circuit City employees. I was never told I was not authorized to use the code so I assume that I am ;-) Plus, around the holidays there is no way they are going to be able to verify with any acuracy with the huge influx of holiday help.

I'll let you know what happens!

UPDATE: It worked!!! I got my FREE SkyFi2 radio in the mail today. Easy set up. Thanks albrandwood!!!