Anyone else unhappy with JC Penney's new pricing?

Where are you finding the deals? I haven't seen anything priced that low. Do they mix the items in with everything else or special racks/area?

They are there with those Best Value little blue signs or signs with a dollar amount, like $10.00 and up. Gone are the big clearance signs like they used to have. You just have to look for them. I know tomorrow they are doing another big round of markdowns (and tomorrow night) so I will be in there to see what racks they are starting to mark down. Our Penneys is really, really nice so I'm sure they will tell me what's going to be marked down. I even wrote the CEO to tell him how nice our store manager is and the other employees too. There's only one I'm not too crazy about, alot of them know me by name. There's one clerk there that I tell about bargains at Younkers, Children's Place, Old Navy, etc... if it gets really low. She has three kids and she's really nice. I'm sure she gets alot at Penneys but it always nice to get other bargains too. During peak clearance season I'm there about every day. Last week they marked down sheet sets-queens were $8; full $7 and twin $4. They must have been after the last markdown and left to the store to price. Stocked up on sheets! Good luck, I hope you find bargains at your store too.

They are the racks that say BEST DEAL. That is their new name for clearance. My penneys was full of great deals and I like the new pricing in that's it's 40% less than it used to be if I need something in a hurry and can't wait for a sale. They would never make any money if everyone waited until it was 2.00 to buy, that's unreasonable. I think 20 for a pair of jeans that used to be 38 is pretty good.

Where are you finding the deals? I haven't seen anything priced that low. Do they mix the items in with everything else or special racks/area?

I found a lot of the $2 bargains this past weekend at my local JCP. The way to identify what was being marked down in the clothes section (as explained to me by the manager) was to look for the old "pink" clearance tags on items,along with the new "best value" tags, the pink tags indicated this was older merchandise. Anything I found like that I took to one of the girls that was marking (on Saturday, I might add, not Friday) the items down. The manager of this store always grins when he sees me walk in.... he knows I'm looking for a bargain, and he's usually pretty helpful in helping me find one.

I'm not a big fan of the new system, I liked the old way- but I do like the $2 prices. :D

I found a lot of the $2 bargains this past weekend at my local JCP. The way to identify what was being marked down in the clothes section (as explained to me by the manager) was to look for the old "pink" clearance tags on items,along with the new "best value" tags, the pink tags indicated this was older merchandise. Anything I found like that I took to one of the girls that was marking (on Saturday, I might add, not Friday) the items down. The manager of this store always grins when he sees me walk in.... he knows I'm looking for a bargain, and he's usually pretty helpful in helping me find one.

I'm not a big fan of the new system, I liked the old way- but I do like the $2 prices. :D

I think the reason they did it on Saturday is because those items were probably past their computer generated markdown dates and left up to the store to price. Those deals don't seem to be following the twice a month new markdown system. I went tonight and got tons of stuff. :) They had some mens sport coats for $9.00. They had all the clearance mens underwear for $2.00 and all the clearance socks $2.00. Thermals were $5.00 and robes were $3.00. They haven't done any of the other departments yet so I'm going first thing in the am. Oh, all the ladies winter tights were $1.00. Great deals-just like the old days! :)

I'm quite sick of the website saying something is available up until I click add to cart and then it's suddenly unavailable. I haven't been able to put anything in my cart out of the last 22 items I've wanted to add. I'm over it.

JCPenney is notorious for this and it drives me nuts.

One thing I noticed is that all stores do not mark down the same way. Last week I got PJ bottoms for my grandson for $3 for a 2 pack at one store, and went to another one at the mall yesterday and they were $9. (Salesperson checked the price and couldn't give me a reason for the price difference) You would think all stores would have the same price. So if you have more than one store near you, check them all.

Congrats on the bargins! Do you go to Penney's in Johnson City, or is there one in Elizabethton I didn't know about? I went to the one in the Bristol Mall, but they didn't have anything for $2.00, or anywhere near that price range worth having.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the bargins! Do you go to Penney's in Johnson City, or is there one in Elizabethton I didn't know about? I went to the one in the Bristol Mall, but they didn't have anything for $2.00, or anywhere near that price range worth having.

Hey Kim, I go to the one in JC. We had one in Eliz. a LONG time ago, but it is no more... Strange, none of the three in the TriCities (JC, Kingsport, or Bristol) have ever marked down on the same schedule. Not sure why that is though...

I've been so disappointed with JC Penney lately.

I ordered 5 pairs of pants from them for work and four ripped within 2 months. I wash them on a gentle cycle.

They sent me a $25 gift certificate.

No! I spent a lot of money for 4 pairs of pants that ripped right away. I want a refund. Not $25.

I can't even find anything to spend the $25 on. They used to have quality clothing.

They do still have quality clothing, but the distressed look of the new styles allows easily ripping. They do guarantee their stuff, if you take your receipt to the store they will give a refund. My daughter had a vinyl vest in which the armpits were melting. It had been 6 months and they still gave a refund.

I've been so disappointed with JC Penney lately.

I ordered 5 pairs of pants from them for work and four ripped within 2 months. I wash them on a gentle cycle.

They sent me a $25 gift certificate.

No! I spent a lot of money for 4 pairs of pants that ripped right away. I want a refund. Not $25.

I can't even find anything to spend the $25 on. They used to have quality clothing.

Well, I finally spent my rewards. I asked the clerk when I checked out if she thought the new concept would last and she said she thought they would keep it. I told her I was really hoping they would return to their old ways. They seemed almost upset with me. I'm not buying that most people are happy with the "new" penney's. I did email them about my feelings and they basically just thanked me for contacting them, and they believe everyone should be treated fair and square. What a joke.

Why do you think it is a joke. THey LOWERED ALL their prices. I would much rather have low prices every day than 7 sales a week . 40% off is okay for me if I need something today. I don't want to have to wait and check every day to see if it goes lower than that. They are now on a price level with walmart. I think their fair and square promotion is great. No receipts needed, no stupid .99 pricing. I think it's a big hit. People are buying armloads in my store.

Well, I finally spent my rewards. I asked the clerk when I checked out if she thought the new concept would last and she said she thought they would keep it. I told her I was really hoping they would return to their old ways. They seemed almost upset with me. I'm not buying that most people are happy with the "new" penney's. I did email them about my feelings and they basically just thanked me for contacting them, and they believe everyone should be treated fair and square. What a joke.

Why do you think it is a joke. THey LOWERED ALL their prices. I would much rather have low prices every day than 7 sales a week . 40% off is okay for me if I need something today. I don't want to have to wait and check every day to see if it goes lower than that. They are now on a price level with walmart. I think their fair and square promotion is great. No receipts needed, no stupid .99 pricing. I think it's a big hit. People are buying armloads in my store.

Their prices are not lower. How can they be lower than free? I used to get coupons for $15 worth of merchandise. Sometimes I had to buy $25 worth to save $15 and sometimes I only had to buy $15 worth to save $15 - that's free. We would buy bath towels for free. Also the candy bar sale - save 15, 25, or 35%, loved that sale. I KNOW that I used to pay less for items then I would now. Also, the choices have been reduced. Unless they got more clothes in since 2 weeks ago, they have much less to choose from. And the only way to get "best prices" is to wade through clearance racks. I could go to Marshalls if I wanted to do that...not.

Just back from my local store, I bought nothing! Didn't see where anything had been even marked down but maybe a dollar or two. Wanted some shorts but at $26 I couldn't bring myself to pay that. Can get them cheaper elsewhere. Most depts still had what was left over from the prior markdowns and nothing new. As a PP stated, I too have noticed the quality and selection is pretty bad now. I haven't bought myself anything in months there.

With the exception of my one buying spree when things were marked $2, I haven't bought a thing in JC Penney's since the change. Granted the store is now more spacious, but the selection has dwindled tremendously as a result, which I think is part of my personal problem. I don't really see the "big" savings myself, and the few people that I know what work in the store have all told me their sales are down significantly. It's not hard to figure out... it's like a ghost town in there...

They do still have quality clothing, but the distressed look of the new styles allows easily ripping. They do guarantee their stuff, if you take your receipt to the store they will give a refund. My daughter had a vinyl vest in which the armpits were melting. It had been 6 months and they still gave a refund.

Thanks for your info. However, these very dress pants. They certainly did not have a distressed style. The hems undid themselves, and one pair ripped at the crotch AS I WAS TEACHING! :gdparanoid: That's not quality.

Thanks for your info. However, these very dress pants. They certainly did not have a distressed style. The hems undid themselves, and one pair ripped at the crotch AS I WAS TEACHING! :gdparanoid: That's not quality.

Ouch..I certainly would not spend a penny more after that mishap.

• 3 weeks later...
I am so disappointed with not just the new pricing, but the horrible quality of the clothing. They just look so cheap. I use to shop at penneys some, but now I don't even bother going in..... I never could find anything marked down at my local store worth having since the changes anyway. Belk has much better quality and the prices are as good, if not better.

I've been only twice since the changes and neither time did I purchase anything. I was probably in the store a grand total of 30 minutes combined. I used to go weekly to the mall store near by house and a couple times a month during lunch to the free standing store near by job but I don't find it exciting or fun any more. I've said it before but it's still true: the joy of shopping there is gone. As is the quality. Unless the revert to the previous system, I'm done. :( Edited by packergurl24

• 1 month later...
I have been there a few times but have not bought anything. I just think their prices are too expensive. A pair of jean shorts for $25 when I can go to Aero and get the same thing for under $20 in a sale. I have even told them in the stores that their prices are just too high. :(