Anyone else unhappy with JC Penney's new pricing?

I was in penney's today, and noticed a change in their pricing. No sale signs, just red tickets on everything. I asked an associate what was up with their new pricing, and she said said red tags are sale and blue tags are clearance. I asked if it was permanent or temp, she said permanent at least for now. I came home and did some online research and have found this is their new ploy "everyday low prices", which it is not. I'm very unhappy with the new system. I thought it was odd that I haven't gotten any sale info. I compared a pair of Nike pants that I bought for dh before Christmas, I paid 17.99 for them w/o additional discounts. They are now 40.00. Crazzzzyyyyy. If this is how they plan on doing business they have lost a longtime customer.:mad:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-jc-penney-to-unveil-new-pricing-strategy-next-week-20120120,0,2410271.story

I haven't been since before Xmas but this sounds ridiculous.....are they just piling stickers on top of stickers and then removing them when sale is over? or just reticketing stuff when sale changes?

No...basically there are no more sales. It seems similar to walmarts "everyday low prices". It's a joke, what I looked at was much higher. I have always loved Penney's, but I doubt I do much shopping there anymore.

Here is an article about the whole new pricing structure at Pennys. Personally I dont think its going to work. According to one of the commenters on the bottom, they laid of more than 6,000 sales team people for this new pricing plan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/jc-penney-gets-rid-of-sales_n_1230894.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl14%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D130128

I have a penny's 5 blocks away and I would rather drive 2 hours to shop at kohls. Our Penny's has a tiny selection and there merchandise never changes. They have children's spring/summer clothes out now and it will be there for 5-6 months. I don't see there new pricing plan changing my shopping choices anytime soon.

It sounds really confusing how they will be re-tagging things. But maybe it will cut down on the amount of junk mail I get. I get like 3 flyers from JCP a day! I had to laugh at the ad with the lady having junk mail pouring out of her mailbox because my husband has said for months that JCP could save alot of cash by cutting back on their mailings!

Well, I'm sad to see the sales go. I got a new JCPenney catalog today, and the prices are somewhat cheaper. I will miss those $10 off $10 coupons, though.. It will be interesting to see how this works out..... Don't think I will be doing much shopping there anymore. Edited by Kim3498

Who thinks of these things? Don't they realize people like to feel that they are getting a good deal and/or getting something for nothing? I would much rather have a coupon for $10 off of $25 worth of purchases and of course they always had sales anyway. Buy one get one 50% off, etc. so I was getting a sale and using a coupon. How am I supposed to think that I am getting a good price on merchandise now without the sale coupon? Does anyone know if they are doing away with the rewards program? I got coupons through that too so I have a feeling that they will be getting rid of it. Maybe they weren't making any money the other way, but I always liked it.

I'm very interested to see how this pricing strategy pans out. They are the only store that I am aware of that carries a large selection of Tall merchandise. In the past, their discounts were not the same on the Tall merchandise. For instance, a regular size sweater on their website would be on sale for $14.99, while the Tall version would be $27.99. I can see a couple dollars more, but it never made much sense. I'm hoping there might be more consistency with the new pricing. Also, I won't have to feel like I need to get out of bed early on a Saturday to make sure I get to their sale on time. Other that Black Friday, I'm not a fan of having to shop within a 4-5 hour window.

I do like their new commercials!

But the reason they are changing is the main reason I won't go to Kohls.

Wonder how this will effect Black Friday?

I stopped going to Kohls when they changed their clearance pricing. I've been there once in the last year, and I used to shop at Kohls all the time.

You get tired of all their sales & the changing around the prices all the time (lowest prices of the season, then lowest prices of the year...) It got to be too much work figuring out if it was a better price this week or last.

They told us they're not going to do any coupons while testing out the new system. It's supposedly 30% off or more from MSRP everyday but I wouldn't know since they've removed/ covered up all old MSRP. I also don't like how small the prices are on the tags. Usually you look at the tag and see the price... I felt like I had to do double takes on every tag.

They told us they're not going to do any coupons while testing out the new system. It's supposedly 30% off or more from MSRP everyday but I wouldn't know since they've removed/ covered up all old MSRP.

Well, I know that's not true. the a.n.a. Jacket I've been waiting to go on sale went from $40 to $32, or only 20%. :(

Wonder how this will effect Black Friday?

Considering they always have one of the largest ads (which takes wayyyyy too much time to type up and post), I hope they either don't have a BF ad or that this new scheme fails so horribly that they go out of business before then :P

the commercial is absurd in my opinion. Sure it sucks to miss a deal/sale but I rarely shop in stores without sales and/or clearance deals.

I totally agree. I see myself shopping there alot less often if they stop sales and coupons!

funny thing about the ad is the ladies who see what they bought on clearance, hmmm we all have a solution to that, just rebuy and take it back in with old receipt LOL

LOL.....I can see how some people will benefit from this change but I think the majority will not be impressed. I know my bff rather spend more money and save time than vice versa, but then again she usually just heads to macy's or kohl's for stuff:P