Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2012

Brad

When can we expect to see the school supplies to hit 30%. School starts Monday here in Orlando.

It is often a few weeks after school starts. Some schools don't hand out lists till after school starts. Around here some schools started last week, but others don't start till after Labor Day. Used to be they all started after Labor Day and school supplies didn't go down till 3rd week of September.

I did notice that lunch boxes were 30% off today. Didn't have time too look too much as I was just getting milk since we just came back from a few days vacation. School stuff will probably start going on sale hit or miss over the next few weeks.

Thought this article was interesting

Target Tricks

Interesting that someone published this so recently, but I had to laugh. Much of that is covered in the first post here. "ask an associate" at your local store about the markdown schedule! Yeah, that will work! Most don't know themselves, and if they do, they won't say. And Target messes with periodically, as we all know. And the birthday club thing has been gone for ages. The link is to the Photo Studio Birthday Club. Unless they've started handing out coupons for the store (they are just sub-leasing from Target and pay Target a fee, so that is doubtful).

I did notice that lunch boxes were 30% off today. Didn't have time too look too much as I was just getting milk since we just came back from a few days vacation. School stuff will probably start going on sale hit or miss over the next few weeks.

Oh nice, thanks! I like to stock up on lunch boxes, I have a child that goes through several a year. Although we have completed 3 weeks of school now and still have them all so far, yay! Target ones are my favorite because the handle has a latch and can be fastened to your backpack. That helps a lot.

Interesting that someone published this so recently, but I had to laugh. Much of that is covered in the first post here. "ask an associate" at your local store about the markdown schedule! Yeah, that will work! Most don't know themselves, and if they do, they won't say. And Target messes with periodically, as we all know. And the birthday club thing has been gone for ages. The link is to the Photo Studio Birthday Club. Unless they've started handing out coupons for the store (they are just sub-leasing from Target and pay Target a fee, so that is doubtful).

I giggled to when I read the article and then I became annoyed that it was on the front page of yahoo, ruining Target clearance even more. :(

found this forum today, and am glad to know I'm not the only person out there who has made a habit/hobby of target clearance shopping. :-)

today's buys included some women's capris at 50%

Men's short sleeved polos at 50%

baby/toddler socks at 30% (already noted, but I was happy with the selection of styles for 70 cents)

Monster High sew on patches at 50% (for the older child)

Sonia Kashuk makeup bags at 70% and Pixi blush also at 70%

Utensil organizer from the summer/melamine dishes section @ 50%. There were some really great serving sets left, but I don't have the room to store any right now. :-(

I found a a return cart full of clearance items I am assuming were collected from various places in the store. A fair amount of 'last one' items and unchecked markdowns. I lucked out that the cart was unattended. I haven't seen lunch boxes go on clearance here yet, but will be on the lookout.

I've been stalking all my local (Atlanta) area Targets waiting for school supplies to be marked down. Some schools started back on August 1, the rest started back two weeks ago. On Thursday two stores were consolidating BTS items and I hoped on Friday they might go to 30%. What really shocked me was when I returned on Friday the school supplies were gone. There was one row of supplies, but not the consolidated supplies, maybe a few items were left over but three seemed to be a few new lines of supplies (packaging I didn't recognize). The only things that were carried over were a few folders, binders, (a lot of ) filler paper, and backpacks. Everything else was just gone-not consolidated-not moved to another part the store but gone. The day before the BTS area was full -so it wasnt all purchased between Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon. Does anyone know what happened to the BTS supplies? I've never encountered this before.

One year at christmas, one store by me had literally 10 pallets of wrapping paper, while the other stores had just a few rolls left. I have a hunch that they take the clearance out of some stores and dump it all in another store?

Our Walgreens do this but never heard about it at Target. My closest store (one of the smaller ones) picks up/returns stuff a day or 2 before the other stores.

Like others have been reported, only BTS that was clearance was backpacks and lunch boxes. I got a lunchbox to add to my stash (thanks lovetoshopCA!). Everything else was all still in their spots, they hadn't started consolidating yet.

They also had a few men's polos 50% off, which was nice since my husband starts a new job tomorrow, and he needed work clothes.

One year at christmas, one store by me had literally 10 pallets of wrapping paper, while the other stores had just a few rolls left. I have a hunch that they take the clearance out of some stores and dump it all in another store?

Yes, Target does this, though not that much. If a particular store sells a lot more at a higher clearance price, they will sometimes trans-ship it to that store. A lot of the school supplies are items they carry year round. That stuff will get restocked as regular merchandise. They may have been moving it to the back to make space for the college stuff or be prepping for Halloween. Hard to say. They've become a lot less predictable.

All of my stores (Birmingham, AL) had markdown teams working the school supplies today. Only a few Crayola items were being marked though so I am guessing the others will be returned to normal stock. In addition to the already reported backpacks and lunch boxes, they were marking down scissors, Elmer's glue and glue sticks, erasers, rulers, pens, pencils, folders, binders, and pencil cases. That's all I can remember for now. Also, just for point of reference, schools started back on August 20 - statewide.

our stores also had markdown teams working BTS. Lots marked, though. They have already pulled most, if not all, of the regular stuff out and put it in the backroom. They were pulling boxes and boxes of paper and other stuff out to get it marked down and out the door. One store where I know the guy who manages seasonal said he was getting it ready for Halloween.

Got 1 more Christmas present done this morning. It will be a family gift for oldest DD and her DH. They are getting a house, and DD has been saying she really wants an above ground pool. I found a 18ft by 48in pool this morning Reg 499.99 for 149.99. They only had the one in the Greenbriar area of Chesapeake VA but you may want to check your Target if you have been wanting a pool. The 16ft was not even on clearance yet.

At my Target yesterday... Backpacks and lunchboxes were 30% off. Odd and end toys ranged from 30-70% off. The brand that has Small pools/slip & slides kinda stuff was 30% off. Intex pools were 70% off, I picked up a 18 ft huge Intex metal pool yesterday (ive been eyeing them). This will replace our 15 ft one... cant wait to set it up and sell my old one on craigslist. :)

FYI... I just have a suggestion if you buy a pool... Make sure there are no leaks, intex warranty wont cover till next season when most people will take them out to use. You need to know now that the pool is good to go!! :)

At my Target yesterday... Backpacks and lunchboxes were 30% off. Odd and end toys ranged from 30-70% off. The brand that has Small pools/slip & slides kinda stuff was 30% off. Intex pools were 70% off, I picked up a 18 ft huge Intex metal pool yesterday (ive been eyeing them). This will replace our 15 ft one... cant wait to set it up and sell my old one on craigslist. :)

FYI... I just have a suggestion if you buy a pool... Make sure there are no leaks, intex warranty wont cover till next season when most people will take them out to use. You need to know now that the pool is good to go!! :)

How much did you get the pool for?? I was hoping to get one this year.

Fans are 50% my store has tons and I don't need any

LOTS in kids bedding/room decor went 30% (looks like they are resetting the ENTIRE area!, not much NOT redtagged!)

School supplies holding at 30%-50%

Nothing new to report other then that

I expected a dollar spot clearance yesterday with all the halloween going in...it has to be coming....its WAY too full over there

The target near me had their dollar spot clearanced at 50%. School supplies were at 30-50% as well as summer beach items and lawn/grill accessories.

I saw some Dr. Seuss invites in the dollar spot.

They were preparing the aisles for halloween.

Does anyone know if back-to-school stuff follows the 3-3-2 rule? I'm pretty sure they want it gone to set up halloween, BUT it is a stickered clearance as opposed to the normal holidays that automatically get reduced...

I think school supplies have always been stickered clearance.