Help! Hubby is being a grinch!

beccas302

Courtesy of the US Air Force, hubby will be leaving for a year and heading to Korea (by himself) just after the New Year. Now, whenever a Christmas commercial comes out, or he hears a Christmas song, he exclaims "Bah Humbug"! I feel guilty because I absolutely LOVE the holiday season, and have a countdown going (a silent one, simply because I don't want it to seem like I'm counting down to when he leaves).

How on earth am I going to get him in the holiday spirit?! He'll miss next Christmas, so I'm already planning on what I'm going to buy/send to him to make him feel like he's home.

Anyone have suggestions?

I just shipped a package to hubby the other day. I sent him a small tree, ornaments, a stocking loaded with candy (no chocolate so it wouldnt melt), the kids and I baked sugar cookies and put them in a tin, peanuts, dvds, books, phone cards. And each kid (and myself) wrote him our own letter in separate envelopes. I think he will love it. :)

I have a dvr through the cable company and I record shows all week. I try to ship out at least 2 dvds with 6 hours of shows a week to him. He and his friends love it... but they don't like some of the shows I have recorded..lol. But I am always up for suggestions from them! :g_thumbri

Oh, I about forgot..several of his friends here in the states are getting together and getting him differant types of card games and sending him for Christmas to play with the other guys. He said he is soooooo sick of poker..lol.

It sounds like he is just down because he has to leave his family. I would encourage him to start thinking about others and what is going on this year. What does he want to get his family for Christmas? Where does he want to go on BF? Remind him often, how much you will miss him but you are so glad he is here this year to help you celebrate.

Courtesy of the US Air Force, hubby will be leaving for a year and heading to Korea (by himself) just after the New Year. Now, whenever a Christmas commercial comes out, or he hears a Christmas song, he exclaims "Bah Humbug"! I feel guilty because I absolutely LOVE the holiday season, and have a countdown going (a silent one, simply because I don't want it to seem like I'm counting down to when he leaves).

How on earth am I going to get him in the holiday spirit?! He'll miss next Christmas, so I'm already planning on what I'm going to buy/send to him to make him feel like he's home.

Anyone have suggestions?

My husband is also in themilitary, and I understand how he's feeling. That being said though, he needs to try to get through this the best way he can. Try to explain that this is the time to be greatfull for. Let him not use up the time you have left by creating negative memories. The two of you will want to look back on this time with "happY" thoughts. Not of all the fights you had. Make this the best holiday season you have ever had!Tell him try to live for today and not for tomorrow! Best wishes to you.

I would have to hurt someone if hubby missed a christmas. Thank god he has already been tdy and probabally won't be going again. I'm so sorry for you and your family. My only suggestion is to remind him that he's still here now so no use in being mad till he leaves and messing up the little time he has left before deploying. Hope things get better gotta love the Air Force so family oriented for "their" family. Sorry I'm bitter with the AF too dh can't get leave for after christmas cause all the single guys got it first for New Years but he has to work New Years and Christmas now.

One of those motion activated dancing, singing trees. Get it this year and put it on the toliet top. A few years ago I pulled the trick after hearing how I had a tree in every room. (I had 2 in the house.) In the middle of the night, LOL talking about scaring the p out of somebody. After that, I can have as many trees as I wanted as long as the activated one isn't in the bathroom. "Life may not be the party we wanted, but we might as well dance."

My husband came back from Korea in July, after 13 months. He is grumpy because he is going to miss his family and he is going to miss every holiday and family event. Maybe the 2 of you can go out and do some of the things he likes to do and take pictures of it so that you can send them to him later. With the holidays kinda in his face, I can see why he's upset, but let him know that you'll miss him and he'll be fine.

I have never been through this as I do not have military personnel in my immediate family. That said, what about giving him a "gift certificate" each day until Christmas good for something that you know he will LOVE. For instance, one day a gift certificate for a DVD, that he can call/send/email to you at any time and you will purchase that gift for him while he is away and send it off to him. It doesn't have to be something you buy, maybe one could be for a picture of you or someone else, like a recent picture that you take at a birthday or during a funny time. This way he can know that he will be with you every moment even though he's not there.

If you are brave enough, one could be for something just between the two of you, a letter, a favorite whatever. You can take that as you wish, but just something that will remind him of you and let him know you were thinking of him that day.

Bless your family and may you all be safe.

Had a talk with hubby, apparently the "Bah humbug" wasn't because he was leaving, it was because he felt they were doing christmas stuff way too early :rotflol:

He took me to Kohls tonight because they had the buildings I wanted for my new christmas village. Spent almost $200 on accessories and buildings, but stipulated that I could NOT put them up until Thanksgiving... I can live with that :g_dance:

Had a talk with hubby, apparently the "Bah humbug" wasn't because he was leaving, it was because he felt they were doing christmas stuff way too early :rotflol:

He took me to Kohls tonight because they had the buildings I wanted for my new christmas village. Spent almost $200 on accessories and buildings, but stipulated that I could NOT put them up until Thanksgiving... I can live with that :g_dance:

I am glad you worked it out. I wish my husband would take me shopping, but in his book that is nothing short of torture. Oh well, he has alot of good point so I'll forgive him that one.

cool:D glad you guys talked

I have a dvr through the cable company and I record shows all week. I try to ship out at least 2 dvds with 6 hours of shows a week to him. He and his friends love it... but they don't like some of the shows I have recorded..lol. But I am always up for suggestions from them! :g_thumbri

QUOTE]

How about some DVD sets from Sex and the City.....the camel website has season 1 & 2 in their Comp shop....easy to get the points needed too.....I have a list somewhere of about 1100 points...more than enough for the DVD's....that way all you'd have to do is wait for them to arrives and pay for shipping....or are shows like that NOT acceptable over there?