Has anyone ever asked for additional discounts on large purchases.

bclvr61889

My sisters and I have adopted two families, who have nine middleschool and highschool children between them. We want to purchase netbooks for all of the kids for Christmas. I wanted to know if anyone has ever gotten any additional money off buying like this from Walmart. Thanks

It never hurts to ask. If Walmart doesn't do it, maybe anther store would. If you adopted the families through a non-profit, mention the name of the group you are working with. No matter where you go you are likely to have to go through a manager. Tell them what you are up to and ask what their best deal is. Call around and compare.

You might have better luck online. Maybe you can find a coupon code that could help you save some $$.

You may have to split up your purchases and see if anyone can get some of these for you. You may even have to enlist the help of the older kids themselves, as they can serve as a place holder for one of the netbooks. Perhaps some friends on gottadeal might want to help. We have had netbooks at Best Buy for the last two years, but they may not even offer them this year. Many high schools are going to allow the use of tablets for school work. Perhaps a kindle Fire or similar device would be in order, especially for the younger ones. They can save work in the cloud.

The last Christmas Circuit City was still in business we did it with a TV. It was a top model Samsumg that was regular priced like $39xx.xx and was on sale in the flyer for something like $28xx.xx and my wife told the saleman we would buy it if they took an extra 10% off. He quickly hunted down the manager and without any second thoughts the manager approved the sale and sent us on our happy way. 10% on a $3k item was a big savings, and all it took was to ask... it never hurts and dont let pride get in your way, money is money.

The last Christmas Circuit City was still in business we did it with a TV. It was a top model Samsumg that was regular priced like $39xx.xx and was on sale in the flyer for something like $28xx.xx and my wife told the saleman we would buy it if they took an extra 10% off. He quickly hunted down the manager and without any second thoughts the manager approved the sale and sent us on our happy way. 10% on a $3k item was a big savings, and all it took was to ask... it never hurts and dont let pride get in your way, money is money.

Wal-Mart probably won't do this for you though. Circuit City would have, as they worked on a much higher margin. (Plus, the cost on that TV was probably half, so the store had no problem knocking off another 10%)

Your best chance for discounts is in a store that has their employees on commission, however, in computers, they work on very thin margins and it is not easy to get discounts. Fry's Electronics is one place to try if you have on nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

My sisters and I have adopted two families, who have nine middleschool and highschool children between them. We want to purchase netbooks for all of the kids for Christmas. I wanted to know if anyone has ever gotten any additional money off buying like this from Walmart. Thanks

This summer I was looking to find a good deal on tablecloths for my daughter's wedding and stumbled upon the perfect color tablecloths in the Walmart clearance aisle for $4 each. They had about 30-40 of them. I tracked down the manager and asked her if I agreed to take them all, could she give me an additional markdown. After consulting with her boss, she agreed to give them to me for $3 each. While this is not an electronics bargain like you desire, I was indeed able to successfully obtain an additional discount on a large purchase. Hope this helps!

First of all God Bless you both - how wonderful you both are! Before going research other store discount pricing on same or similar netbook.Then I would suggest going to the nearest walmart store with your wish list info in hand. Ask to speak to the Store manager or Regional manager and tell them of your plans. remember to be reasonable when asking for a discount but a low percentage off might not be a deal given the qty your are looking at. Pending the outcome tell the store mgr you will get back to them because you are checking the alternative - dont forget to get the contact info of the manager. if walmart is your store of choice and the store manager cant help i would suggest contacting the walmart customer service hotline and ask to speak to a supervisor based on your special circumstances, if this does not work..call the public relations dept at walmart and ask for advice on who to contact. not sure what city and state you are in for other store choices. I am in Chicago - dont forget stores like Tiger direct outlet stores; microcenter. I will check your post often to see if you ladies have any other questions.. I will be praying for your success! Kind regards, Shoppinggirl!

if this does not work..call the public relations dept at walmart and ask for advice on who to contact. not sure what city and state you are in for other store choices. I am in Chicago - dont forget stores like Tiger direct outlet stores; microcenter. I will check your post often to see if you ladies have any other questions.. I will be praying for your success! Kind regards, Shoppinggirl!

good point. If walmart won't do it, maybe try contacting Walmart.com and see if THEY will since they're separate entities.

I think it might be difficult for you and your sisters to get discounts on a large purchase for your kids. I don't think the stores want to offer deals like this to large families. They are in it to make money, especially on BF. I find WM cust serv in Arkansas to be no help at all. Just my opinion.

I work in retail,you need to go ahead of time & contact corporate for the best savings! I hope you have time, because i think you are amazing for helping others in such a huge way! I could only hope that one day I'll be in a position to do such a thing :) ;) By the way Best Buy has nice Toshiba 4 gb laptops for $269 a great price think about working w/ them NOW instead of waiting for BF !!!