Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

Does anyone have a Kindle with the special offers? Do they pop up when you are reading? I would like to get the $79 one for my mom and my MIL but I don't want them to have to constantly be bothered by ads.

The ads pop up on the bottom of the screen and as a screensaver. It does not interrupt reading at all...

I respectfully disagree...I think people who spent their money on an iPad might be disappointed when they see their friend's Fire does 90% of what the iPad does for several HUNDRED dollars less.

They both surf the web and do email.

They both play movies, music, games and read books.

The Kindle doesn't have a camera or microphone and thus can't do video chat.

But the Kindle reportedly has a much better interface with their customized version of Android.

The Kindle is easier to carry around and hold with one hand.

Oh, and did I mention IT COSTS A FRACTION OF WHAT AN IPAD DOES? :)

Believe me, I'm the first person to say the iPad is an awesome little tool.

But its WAY overpriced for what 95% of people use it for.

I absolutely see this as a valid (perhaps smarter) alternative to the iPad for the vast majority of consumers. Is it better than the iPad? No. Does it do everything the iPad does? No. If I already had an iPad, would I replace it with a Fire? No - well....maybe....if I could get someone to buy my iPad off me for more than the cost of a new Fire I might. But does it do everything that 95% of iPad users do on their iPads? Absolutely. So to me, for 95% of people considering buying an iPad out there, they could buy this instead and be perfectly happy. In fact they'd most likely be more than perfectly happy since they saved themselves HUNDREDS of dollars.

90% of the functionality for 40% (or less) of the cost? Smells like a deal to me.

Now, when Siri makes its way to the iPad....that might prove interesting...

I agree. I wish this were out a few months ago. I would have gotten DD12 the Fire instead of the Ipad as she only uses it to play games, email, and surf the net.

Can I ask what your estimated delivery date is? I am on kindle forums every day and preordered mine within 5 minutes of the link going live. There is a poll on there to see how far up in delivery it goes each day.

I preordered mine Oct 3 and it shows Nov 17 as the shipping date

If I got dd a netbook and iPod does she need a iPad or no I figure a netbook is almost the same am I wrong thanks

I would also like to know the difference between the netbook and tablet. DH wants a tablet, but he also wants to be able to take notes on his tablet and work on files. Can he do this w/a tablet?

If so, is the kindle fire an option for him.

Keeping my fingers crossed......

Yeah, I got lucky recently as part of the Amazon/Onsale fiasco and finally got a 32GB HP Touchpad for $150. There is a Kindle app for it, so I am going to get that and see how I like it. I will wait for the next gen of Kindle Fire and hope they add 3G ;).

Yeah, I got lucky recently as part of the Amazon/Onsale fiasco and finally got a 32GB HP Touchpad for $150. There is a Kindle app for it, so I am going to get that and see how I like it. I will wait for the next gen of Kindle Fire and hope they add 3G ;).

The app works, it's just going to be brighter than reading on a kindle - there's some eye strain.

Can I ask what your estimated delivery date is? I am on kindle forums every day and preordered mine within 5 minutes of the link going live. There is a poll on there to see how far up in delivery it goes each day.

Delivery Estimate: November 21, 2011 - November 29, 2011

I have no interest in the Fire or any other tablet with an LCD screen. I have a notebook and a smart phone and the tablet niche is just too narrow at any price. The Kindle, Nook, and other e-ink devices, on the other hand, have caught my attention as they solve a lot of problems.

First, the e-ink screen looks very good even in direct light. If you want to read something beside the pool, at the beach, or at a campground, this is a much better option than an LCD.

Second, these devices are very energy efficient. My smartphone dims the alreay dim display before I can finish reading a page.

Third, the prices of these devices are so low that there is no risk of buyer's remorse.

In the case of the Mindle (minimal Kindle) and Kindle Touch, the form factor is very appealing. These devices will fit in my pocket while providing as much text real estate as a small paperback.

I am holding off on purching a Mindle until i get to touch a Touch, but one of these will likely fill the gap between my laptop and smartphone.

If you REALLY want a keyboardless computer, I suggest you look at the Asus Transformer. It's not cheap unless you are looking at an iPad.

Does anyone think the Kindle Fire will be hard to get around Christmas? I can't really afford to get it now, but I'm afraid if I wait until closer to Christmas, it might be sold out lots of places and difficult to find in stock. Does anyone think this is a possibility?

Does anyone think the Kindle Fire will be hard to get around Christmas? I can't really afford to get it now, but I'm afraid if I wait until closer to Christmas, it might be sold out lots of places and difficult to find in stock. Does anyone think this is a possibility?

Pre-order it now, and it won't charge you until it ships. When you pre-order it, it will show you your estimated delivery date, so you'll have an idea of when it will be charged. Someone else mentioned they were going to add a small amount of money to their Amazon account weekly so when it came time for their shipment, it'll already be paid for. (sort of like a lay-away) If you don't think you'll be able to pay for it, just cancel the order before they prepare to ship it, and there are no penalties.

I'm the one doing it that way. I put 25 on it each week, it's got 75 on it right now, then I select apply to order and it takes it right off the balance. It will be paid for the week it ships. People who are ordering it this week still ahve a November delivery date and it will probably be in stores since the little kindle is already. They are selling 50,000 a day so each day you wait puts it more unlikely you will get one.

Pre-order it now, and it won't charge you until it ships. When you pre-order it, it will show you your estimated delivery date, so you'll have an idea of when it will be charged. Someone else mentioned they were going to add a small amount of money to their Amazon account weekly so when it came time for their shipment, it'll already be paid for. (sort of like a lay-away) If you don't think you'll be able to pay for it, just cancel the order before they prepare to ship it, and there are no penalties.

Which is better an ipod or a tablet? I got ipods for my kids for xmas but today someone told me that ipods aren't as good for youngsters, that the ipads are better. What is everyone's opinion?

It depends on what your kids want to use it for. Ipods are good for music, videos, etc. If they want to surf the web and play games, you would want the Ipad.

Thanks everyone for these great posts! Came to see if I could get advice for my 10yr old. Think I will go with the Kindle Fire???? He wants both an Ipod and a Kindle....... I have an Ipod that he uses so I can't see getting him one. I am not up to date on these. I never knew they had games.

I think the question you have to answer is what form factor is best for your kid and what apps and services will he/she use...assuming budget is not an issue. Everyone thought the Kindle would be a <$300 iPad clone and it is not. At launch, people dismissed it as an inexpensive android based front end to Amazon.com -- that's wrong too.

A kindle does not have a camera, microphone, or gps. The fire is wifi only. If you want to 'tag' pictures, or video chat, no Kindle is right for you.

Otherwise, I think you would be very happy with a Fire. I have had a kindle (the $79 version) for less than a week. This has no speakers, no color, no 3g, and it's still a hit. I have installed Calibre on a PC and subscribed to around 30 services (free except for the wall street journal which I was already paying for), I have downloaded fifty free books from amazon.com, and I have copied (via usb) a bunch of documents (including the itinerary, menus, and supporting documents for a business trip). I'm looking forward to the companionship of my kindle in the airports and restaurants.

My wife took it to dialysis this week. Also very tingly. She started Pride and Prejudice but ended up reading TMZ and the Boston Globe. Today, we are conflicted as she has dialysis and I have a boy scout event. I win! (she has a TV and internet) Santa will be bring her a Keyboard Kindle.

We think this will be great for her mom who does not have internet. She'll need a 3g device, so we are thinking touch or keyboard. I can send her kindle stuff via kindle email over 3g.

I looked at these for my 14 year old reader. I thought this would be great for him since he always has a book in his hands. I was shocked to see that he was completely unimpressed with the Kindle. He thinks books are fine and likes browsing a library or book store. This from a kid who sleeps with a zune! I think he will love a fire, though. We'll see.

His brother started college this year. He had no interest in a tablet when he got there, but they are routinely available and he has expressed interest. He has an android phone and a laptop, so I think a touch or basic would be best for him, but he wants a Fire. So be it.

So much buzz over a toy none of us ever even thought about until last month. I think Jeff Bezos has achieved what Steve Jobs and Bill Gates failed to attain -- a very compelling ecosystem of infotainment.

Browse through the amazon android app store, check out the kindle books (select a genre and sort low to high to see the free stuff), and look at the movies and TV shows in the Prime service. For the price of an ipad, you can get your kid a Fire, a year's worth of streaming media, a couple games, and a bunch of books. That's my recommendation.

len_mullen just in case your son does not know you can now borrow books on the Kindle from libraries across the US. I originally got the Nook for myself since I borrow books dont

really it. That being said I plan on getting a Kindle for my Daughter and one for myself sine now you can borrow books on the Kindle also. I have over 400 books I got for free on

the Nook and I also have on my Amazon account about 150 free books for the Kindle. I have been waiting for the Kindle to starting the borrowing service before I got one. :)

So sorry for this silly question but how do you add money to your amazon account? I would love to pay a little at a time until it ships, but save my place in line by preordering. You have to pay nothing at the time of pre-order?

It is very easy, you buy a gift card and send it your own amazon account. They will email you the gift card. SImply select apply to account and it will take you to your amazon account. Apply the gift card to your account. THen open your kindle fire preorder and select apply gift balance to this order. IT comes right off. Everyone who isn't familiar with amazon, here's the best thing about them. If hyou break that kindle or it quits working, simply call amazon and they send you a new one out overnight most times. You have 30 days to return teh broken one with their prepaid label. THey are WONDERFUL. One lady dropped hers in teh kitchen sink and they overnighted her a new one. THey are unreal. My son originally wanted an Ipod Touch just for the apps. He has a nice mp3 player, but he can stream movies or put his psp movies directly on the fire. For more info, go to amazon.com kindle forums. I go on there daily to get more info and learn all I can about them.

So sorry for this silly question but how do you add money to your amazon account? I would love to pay a little at a time until it ships, but save my place in line by preordering. You have to pay nothing at the time of pre-order?

It is very easy, you buy a gift card and send it your own amazon account. They will email you the gift card. SImply select apply to account and it will take you to your amazon account. Apply the gift card to your account. THen open your kindle fire preorder and select apply gift balance to this order. IT comes right off. Everyone who isn't familiar with amazon, here's the best thing about them. If hyou break that kindle or it quits working, simply call amazon and they send you a new one out overnight most times. You have 30 days to return teh broken one with their prepaid label. THey are WONDERFUL. One lady dropped hers in teh kitchen sink and they overnighted her a new one. THey are unreal. My son originally wanted an Ipod Touch just for the apps. He has a nice mp3 player, but he can stream movies or put his psp movies directly on the fire. For more info, go to amazon.com kindle forums. I go on there daily to get more info and learn all I can about them.

Also, I have over 800 books on my kindle and have not paid for one yet. THere are tons out there for free. The kindle basic is half the battery life and half the space and doens't have a lot of the features of the kindle keyboard, but the new kindle touch sounds exciting too. I read on my kindle 8 - 10 hours a day and can't imagine not having it.