Anyone know much about the PSP???

Candy

My 17 year old informed me today she really, really wants the PSP...well I thought she meant a new version of Paint Shop Pro....:g_dance::eyepoppin instead I am informed NO..this is....Playstation Portable..hmmm:grandpa: I kow I am getting old...but dang..lol.

We have 3 systems now, PS2, xbox and GameboyAdvance...is this really worth the investment?..And does anyone have any idea the price range I should expect?

(Sounds like the unlimited minute cell phone would have been cheaper!!):crossfing:eyepoppin

I actually AM getting it for my son for Christmas....I must be crazy lol. Personally, I'd rather get him the Nintendo DS but he insists he wants the PSP. It goes for $250 and the games run anywhere between $30 to $50 each. There aren't a ton of games out for it yet but, there are some due out early next year that look alright. The system is still fairly new so hopefully their will be a lot more selection in the future. For now I'll get him the system, 3 games and 3 movies. That is his Christmas gift.

I think I will probably try to get it...after alot of research and looking for some kind of deal..she is 17 and graduating this year..and a great kid...lol..but she better be getting allllllll A's for until they throw her out the school!..lol

I have 3 of them--ok, actually my son, husband and daughter each have one :) My son and husband love them. They take them everywhere. My daughter takes hers on band trips and stuff like that, but not everywhere like my son does. We have a lot of games for them and the movies look good too. A plus is that you can save music/mp3's to the memory stick and carry everything all in one.

My son has too much already. PlayStation 1 PlayStation 2 Nintendo 64 X-box GameBoy Advance Gameboy Sp I don't want to promote too much butt sitting now. LOL

I hear that. My kids already have the Gamecube and Xbox (we have a PS1 too but its not working). Now I am getting DS the PSP and DD the GBA SP.

• 2 weeks later...
Whew.....with much persuasion and thought...my daughter has now decided if I can get her a gameboyadv for 48 at Wal-Mart..that will be ok..lol......yeesssssss..lol. Afterall..can't argue with all 5 having a gameboyadv and a dozen games each they can share and enjoy alot of different games! Whereas PSP..would have been one or two games every few months...gets old she said..lol......whew..lol...now if only I can get a $48 gameboy advance at Wal-Mart............

aww, I don't work for sony but you should get the PSP

UMD (the format the movies are on) will replace dvd's, or at the very least be a far better rival than vhs ever dreampt of.

Soon sony tv's will have a umd slot on the front, the playstation 3 will soon have a umd "port" and within the next 2 years or so a UMD slot will be as common as a USB port on your computer.

Sony was brilliant for developing this.

Don't gimme that blue ray disc crap either :) It'll be 10 years before they are affordable

aww, I don't work for sony but you should get the PSP

UMD (the format the movies are on) will replace dvd's, or at the very least be a far better rival than vhs ever dreampt of.

Soon sony tv's will have a umd slot on the front, the playstation 3 will soon have a umd "port" and within the next 2 years or so a UMD slot will be as common as a USB port on your computer.

Sony was brilliant for developing this.

Don't gimme that blue ray disc crap either :) It'll be 10 years before they are affordable

I'm sorry, but this is not accurate. The disc may be perfect for portable gaming/video/mp3, but it has such low capacity (1.8 duak layer, 900MB single layer) that it makes it impractical for larger movies at a eye-pleasing resolution. Secondly, Sony has been extremely hesitant to license the format for use by 3rd parties (with the exception of some).

My kids want them because they think they're cool to take on their ONE field trip each year. LOL I don't think so! We've had so many Game Boys and they never really got into the hand helds at all. I see the PSP as being no different for them. I'll use the money and invest it in the Xbox 360 instead.

My nephew on the other hand, always plays his Game Boy. He goes nowhere without it, so for someone like him, I think it would be a good gift to get.

I suggest trying to get the new PSP Giga Pack that is out. Instead of the 32mb stick you get a 1GB memory stick for all your MP3's, videos, pictures and saves. Since 1GB memory sticks are still in retail stores hanging around the 100 buck mark and the Giga Pack is only 50 bucks more then the value pack (299 compared to 249) it's a much better deal.

Honestly I would not get the PSP for a younger kid though. They are pretty tough but the screen is not protected and easily scratchable. It's more of a handheld multimedia device then a kid's toy and is not built for kid punishment like the Gameboy SP's. Just keep this in mind. The DS is a little better for kids but my nephews bottom touch screen on his DS was scratched all up from the stylus within a month.