Is a gameboy too much for a 5 y/o boy?

mjmcca

Ok in another thread I was asking about the Vtech systems but now seeing all of these replies I am starting to think maybe skipping those and going right for the gameboySP? DD is 4 but has her own PC and all and plays w/ daddy on the PS2. We are a traveling family and we really want something she can play in the car.

Thankgoodness I found this wonderful site with all this info :)

I got my daughter a GBA for her 5th birthday last year and it never leaves her side. She loves it. That was about 8 months ago and it still looks brand new. On the other hand, my son received his GBA when he was around 7 and it was lost with in 6 months. Never to be found again.

My son is 5 and has been playing gameboy for a couple of years. He got his older sisters gameboy. This year for Christmas he has his heart set on Ninento DS. He really wants that dog game. I think that will be his big present since my daughter is getting the Dell laptop.

The GBA SP is a good choice for younger, and older kids, but I think 5 may be too young. The little boy I babysit for (will be 7 in December) just got his sister's old SP (she bought one of the new brighter screen ones). I looked it over not long after, and the screen was all scratched up and I could actually pull part of the screen off. Your son may treat his stuff different, but most boys tend to be rougher on toys/electronics/etc. Either way, a lot of titles that kids would like based on the game box covers require reading.

I disagree! My son is 5 and takes very good care of it. We have a carrying case that he keeps it and the games in. He has had the GBA for 3 years. It keeps him occupied in the car, numerous sports events and etc... We keep it in the car!

I would say that it depends on the child. But from what you have said, I would say that it would be fine. My son has had various stages of gb's since he was 4. He has done very well with it. I don't know if I would go with the DS though, as they seem easier to damage, due to the touch screen. But, with my 3 (the youngest 3yrs) I have to consider that, because even though it may belong to the 8 year old, the 3 year old WILL get her little hands on it.

I am still not sure wht to get my Ds for Christmas. He loves videogames and has a keapster and Vsmile and plays them a lot. I am unsure if i should try and get a gameboy or gamecube for him this christmas. Any input?

My daughter got a gameboy the 1st advanced that came out not the flip one for this past Easter, and she was only 2 1/2. The reason we got it is because she was always playing with my nephews and well he would get mad because she would take it and play it. And for being only 2 1/2 she did pretty well on it she only had 2 games dora and brother bear. So i personally think its a good idea if hes into games.

I think handheld electronic games such as that should wait until they are closer to ten years old. I think it is okay to pull out a console (GameCube, 360, Playstation, etc) occasionally for some of the family to use though and include to the 5 year old in playing.

Just my opinion. :P