What do you serve for Christmas Dinner??

Tessangel

What do you serve for Christmas Dinner??  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you serve for Christmas Dinner??

• Ham
    • Turkey
    • Both
    • Other

A huge smoked ham! But we also have all the great yummy things to go with it! Candied sweet potatoes, potato salad, green beans, corn, cranberry relish, pineapple casserole, tons of relish items like different kinds of pickles, olives, and raw veggies and dips. And don't forget several kinds of homemade pies, desserts, bread and rolls!

Well, here we have lots of different stuff, as it's usually boiling hot here at Christmas. At home, we usually serve:

rice

"farofa" (roasted flour with butter and sausages)

ham (I have no idea if it's similar to yours, but ours is decorated with peaches in syrup and cherries)

turkey (sometimes)

slaw (steamed potatoes and carrots with mayonnaise) or "salpicão" (grated carrots, chicken, ham, peas with mayonnaise)

cheese (it's a spicy one that comes in a red can, in the shape of a ball)codfish snacks (smashed codfish with smashed potatoes, get this dough and make balls, then fry)

fruit salad

ice-cream

"rabanadas" (slices of bread dunked in milk,then in beaten eggs and fried, then passed on sugar with cinnamon)

homemade Christmas cake (family recipe that nowadays I am the only one who can make, as my grandma died and my mom never wanted to learn)

"panetone" (something between cake and bread, with nuts, raisins and fruits inside)

Sangria and Coke to drink

I just love Christmas supper!!!!

it's been a tradition ever since the movie A Christmas Story that we go out for dinner on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is a different story completely. It's pretty fun and beats cleaning all those dishes - of course the day after again is another story, but who wants to do that work plus all the last minute gift wraping?

Standing rib roast

Yorkshire pudding

garlic mashed potatoes

beef gravy

green bean casserole and

southern-style green beans (no squeekers here!)

broccoli-artichoke casserole

tossed salad

rolls and butter

home made pies:

key lime with meringue

pumpkin from fresh pumpkin

chocolate cream with meringue

pecan

and coconut cream cheese layer cake

Beverages include wines, sodas, and Martha Stewart's eggnog.

Christmas Eve is always just lite eating and dd's birthday cake.lol But Christmas Day, I leave it up to the gang. Sometimes it's Italian food, sometimes it's Mexican food, and has been Chinese food before. This year I think that Mexican has won again...so, mexican rice, nachos, enchiladas, pico, guacamole, quesadillas, and whatever else I decide to make.lol

Guest all2tired
We just have turkey and all the trimmings but I miss the Christmas dinners we used to have. From the time I was a kid until my son was born (life threatening egg allergy), we started with escarole soup aka wedding soup, then there was antipasta, sweet ravioli with meatballs, italian hot and sweet sausage, brasciolle. Then we would take a breather for about an hour and come back to have cherry pepper chicken and tossed salad.

Last year I made a baked ham & sweet potatoes but this year it's gonna be a smaller ham. I made the mistake of getting a bone-in half ham last year and there was way too much left over. This year will still be ham, but am going with a smaller ham roll this time. :D There's only me & my 6 yr. old to feed so I only want enough left over for some ham & cheese sandwiches.

Well when I was a kid it was always ham for Thanksgiving. But now that I am married to a Mexican...they have TAMALES...lol.

I would have to have fajitas! I could live off them things. :slaphappy

Hubby is deployed this year so we may end up just going out to eat. Probably less of a hassle because it will only be me and my son. My daughter is going out of state to visit my sis.

MMMMMM.. maybe I will have fajitas this year :D

My hubby is Puerto Rican so we make a Pernil ( not sure hows it spelt just know how to cook it lol), its a boston butt with a bone in it cause it just makes it taste better and it cooks for hours and hours..it has different seasonings. My kids dont think its xmas unless we make it.

So Thanksgiving = Turkey

Xmas = Pernil

New Years = Seafood surprize (hubby cooks thats why its a surprize lol)