hate going to inlaws for holidays?

copados1993

does anyone else hate going to their inlaws for the holidays? I love everything about the holidays except knowing that at some point having to go there. They don't enjoy kids and their home feels like a musuem. Anyone have any ideas how to make a trip to the Grandparents house fun for the kids?

does anyone else hate going to their inlaws for the holidays? I love everything about the holidays except knowing that at some point having to go there. They don't enjoy kids and their home feels like a musuem. Anyone have any ideas how to make a trip to the Grandparents house fun for the kids?

That's sad...I guess I'm the extreme opposite, I love having my granddaughter over. She's coming over tonite and I walked around Meijer for an hour trying to find a toy or craft we could do. Make sure you take toys for them to play with.

I hate going to someone's house who doesn't have kids and they spend the whole time acting like they are okay, but you notice them looking nervous. I would rather stay at home than go somewhere and feel uncomfortable the whole time because people are "waiting" on your kids to either say or do something they shouldn't.

I don't enjoy going to my in-laws either. They are the most stingy people I know. If they didnt give gifts to my hubby or me that would be fine but my kids are their only granddaughters and they get one gift per child. Sadly they play favorites but my parents make up for it! We love spending the holidays with them.

I think Christmas is for the kids, and on Christmas morning, the kids like to play with their new things. I had this problem years ago, so I have the inlaws come to my house on Christmas, if they dont have kids. Its much easier for them..and its for the Kids anyways...not a control thing. My son missed out on a Couple of Christmas's of being home, from running around all Christmas Day to Divorced Parents. I had to put my foot down..and let them Know the Next Years..they can come and visit on Christmas Day, so the kids can have their Christmas. Yes they tried to push the issue..but I stuck to my guns. At least my son had Christmas at home for a few years.

Wow, that is sad. Both my in-laws and my parents LOVE the kids. And while they both don't have babyproofed homes as much as we'd like.. we just stay on our toes (all of us) with the kiddos. The holidays have become that much more fun since we had our kids. :D

No ideas for you.. I hope one day your in-laws realize how enjoyable kids are, especially when you are the Grandparent (and can give them back to the parent, lol!).

We go to FIL's for both T-Day and Chr-stmas. My folks are gone, and my FIL is much more himself when we're around than when we aren't. We live about 7 hours away from each other most of the year, and when we're not around FIL drinks. :::sigh:::

When we're with him, he's cold stone sober and alive, if you know what I mean. Beorn adores him, and I think he's pretty OK myself.

I am hopeful when Paul is finally finsihed with school and we get our own place that we can build an apartment on to our home for FIL. That's my dream regarding him, anyway...

We go to FIL's for both T-Day and Chr-stmas. My folks are gone, and my FIL is much more himself when we're around than when we aren't. We live about 7 hours away from each other most of the year, and when we're not around FIL drinks. :::sigh:::

When we're with him, he's cold stone sober and alive, if you know what I mean. Beorn adores him, and I think he's pretty OK myself.

I am hopeful when Paul is finally finsihed with school and we get our own place that we can build an apartment on to our home for FIL. That's my dream regarding him, anyway...

That is so sweet Pam. It sounds like your FIL is lonely when you guys arent around.

I don't know yet. This will be our first year going to his family's house(s). But when I was married to my ex...I LOVED it. We always went to his grandmothers for either Christmas eve(or a few days before) and then his mom's on Christmas and New Year's. It was always a lot of fun. Loved his family...just not him...kinda a shame. I think as long as hubby's family has it as his grandparents house it will be ok. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I go to my parents. My husband and Dad are so close I sometimes think he wants to see him instead of me! LOL. Im lucky because I love my father-n-law but he lives out of state. My mother-in-law is something to be desired, but shes leaving for Florida before christmas :)

I used to hate going to my MIL's for any holiday because both her and my FIL lived about 6 miles apart and when we'd go to his house, she'd act like we were betraying her. She also can't remember my kids' birthdays and is a PITA most of the time. Now, we live 15 hours or so away. My FIL moved about 6 hours from us, so we go to see him a bit more often. I like going to see him. He is such a sweetheart!! I still haven't gone back to OK and I don't want to!! I liked his second wife--she was my favorite MIL, but now they are divorced. She till sends cards on time for the kids' birthdays!!!

Well, I also have a mother-in-law nightmare before xmas story, so I guess in-law problems are the same all over the world...

Last year I agreed to spend Christmas Eve at my mother-in-law's. Here, it's the main celebrations day, Dec 25th already has that after Christmas feeling... Anyway, it was 6PM, we were ready to leave home (with our baby and everything), she calls us and says: "can we postpone it? I am not feeling very well..." We hadn't prepared anything for ourselves, as we were going to have Christmas dinner there. I got sooo pissed!!!! How can someone "postpone" Christmas!?!?!?!! I rushed to the bakery, they sell Xmas dinner items to go, like a buffet. You pay by kilogram of food. Of course, at 6PM there were only leftovers... That's what we had for xmas dinner last year. Thank God we had a great lunch with my dad, and a big xmas dinner with my mom on Dec 25th. I'll never agree with such an idea again in my whole life!!!!

How do I begin! This is the post for me! We always do Christmas Eve with my DH side of the family it is always done at his grandmothers home and she is a chain smoker. I offered to do it at my home this year and was shot down immediately. Well i found out that my dh cousin is going to have it at her house (my home is larger) Ihave just kept my mouth shut. My main problem is that my mil favors my dh's cousins children over ours. and our daughter is her only grand child! I think most of his family lacks tact (you wouldnt believe the topics of convo!) I always leave very upset and frustrated! I have hated Christmas Eve for the last 7 years! Sorry for venting! I am glad that there are people who can relate.

How do I begin! This is the post for me! We always do Christmas Eve with my DH side of the family it is always done at his grandmothers home and she is a chain smoker. I offered to do it at my home this year and was shot down immediately. Well i found out that my dh cousin is going to have it at her house (my home is larger) Ihave just kept my mouth shut. My main problem is that my mil favors my dh's cousins children over ours. and our daughter is her only grand child! I think most of his family lacks tact (you wouldnt believe the topics of convo!) I always leave very upset and frustrated! I have hated Christmas Eve for the last 7 years! Sorry for venting! I am glad that there are people who can relate.

Boy I can sure feel for you!!! I come from a normal, not perfect family where everyone loves each other. I go to my inlaws house and I can just cut the tention with a knife! Thank goodness I don't live close!!!!!!:lolrun:

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..did I say hate..let me put loath my DH's mom..:gd_devild:flame: She is a piece of work..DH doesn't care for her either so no..I am not going to my in laws for Christmas...lol... Besides our excuse is he has to work Christmas Eve till 8 pm so we won't have time..and Christmas morning is going to be too busy with my family..