Christmas Decorations

diane175

All this talk has got me in the mood to decorate my house already!! :) We usually don't decorate and put the tree up til after Halloween and before Thanksgiving, but I am getting anxious! LOL When do you decorate and how far do you go? Does your house look like the Griswald's? Mine is getting there! ;) I seem to add more every year! :lolrun: I seem to get my hubby on the roof every year with a new addition!

I have a small tree that I put up around turkey day but not much of the traditional decorations. Instead the whole house is full of snowmen. I have them everywhere. I put away everything on the shelves and put the snowmen statues up. They can stay up until around February because I try not to buy them with anything X'mas on them.

Last year my husband and I jumped the gun and put up the decorations a week before Thanksgiving. Usually we put them Thanksgiving weekend. This site gets me going too! All the talk about BF and christmas in general. I may do it again this year! Heck, I've already wrapped and tagged what I've bought so far for my kids! Im on top of things this year.

I can't wait to start decorating for Christmas! But I will...:)

Day after Thanksgiving the entire house will start it's transformation. 4 Christmas trees and two decorated mantles and lots and lots of garland are just part of the holiday "look" in our home.

The outside of the house is more my husband's responsibility and he needs encouragement to do anything. So the Griswalds we are not - but we'll do something this year, just don't know what yet.

Guest Deals4Me
Within DAYS after thanksgiving, my house is a beacon. Thank god I dont live near a ocean cause ships would think they were supposed to dock on my front yard. My hubby goes overboard to the T. Omg. Our electric bill is sickening unless I put a stop on it.

We didn't do tons of outside decorating last year. Now you come into the house and are shocked. Its a christmas wonderland. My street has a competition every year on who has the best decorations. Every year my one neighbor wins it. And every year my husband and I say we are going to enter! Maybe this year. LOL

Hello everyone;

This is my first time posting and I have to admit I didn't know how excited I was about BF & Christmas until I registered for Gottadeal.com.

But anyway.....last year I put my Christmas tree up a few days after Thanksgiving, but you know what, I think I want to start this week-end. LOL

OMG!!! This is so much fun! I am a Christmas nut. In our family I am referred to as "Clark" (as in Griswald). I am constantly trying to do more decorating. Growing up we put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving, however, as my enthusiasm has grown, I started putting it up earlier every year. Now my husband and kids just ask that I wait until after Halloween. I do the yard, trees, house, and all. I love BF, it's a "tradition" for my mother and me. While our husbands are watching the big game after dinner, we plan our trip. We usually start at 3:00 am because our Wal-Mart is open 24 hours.

I usually decorate around the beginning of December. Everything is down by December 30 because my oldest son's birthday is Dec 31 and I want only birthday stuff up for him, so that he's not sharing his bday with Christmas.

I can understand that. So many people think giving one gift for both Chr-stmas and an end of the year birthday suffices. I say, no way!!

But other than that, who else takes down there decorations quickly after Chr-stmas? As a Jew, I don't decorate at home, but as a child we had Roman Catholic neighbors who always invited my sister and me to their house for what they called 'Little Chr-stmas,' around January 6th, Three Kings Day I think. To my Jewish eyes, it was a complete celebration of Chr-stmas all over again! Tree, stockings, presents, festive dinner, the works! Then the tree came down starting the next day.

Does anyone here do anything similar? I can't imagine keeping a tree fresh that long. If I remember correctly, their tree was brought home the Sunday before Chr-stmas, and decorated during the week. But, no lights were put on until after sunset on Chr-stmas Eve.

We usually start slowly putting up Christmas and taking down Autumn right after Halloween. And as we live very close to the International airport I worry our long driveway will be mistaken for a runway!LOL DH goes all out on the front yard and a couple of years ago we got caught a bit with a Tropical storm in mid November that dumped so much rain all of the 8ft blowups were totally submersed on the ground. Amazing though, days later they dried out and all of them are still working.....This year I took down all the Autumn deco to evacuate for Hurricane Rita and do not have the heart to put it all up again, so I may start Christmas even earlier! We are SO ready for winter here in the Houston area.

Within DAYS after thanksgiving, my house is a beacon. Thank god I dont live near a ocean cause ships would think they were supposed to dock on my front yard. My hubby goes overboard to the T. Omg. Our electric bill is sickening unless I put a stop on it.

I had to laugh! Our husbands never better get together or we will OWN the light company! LOL :D

As for taking down our deco, we usually take it down the first week of the New Year. Altho, I hate to see them come down! :(

As a Jew, I don't decorate at home, but as a child we had Roman Catholic neighbors who always invited my sister and me to their house for what they called 'Little Chr-stmas,' around January 6th, Three Kings Day I think. To my Jewish eyes, it was a complete celebration of Chr-stmas all over again! Tree, stockings, presents, festive dinner, the works! Then the tree came down starting the next day..

I grew up Catholic and my Grandmother always did the nativity set in parts. First Mary and Joseph are there then Christmas day Jesus was there and the angles and shepherd. And on January 6th the Wise Men showed up in Bethleham. Then the Nativity went in the closet for another year. We didn't have a celebration but is was fun to look at the nativity when a new part was added.

i don't have a tree. i wanted to get just a little "shrub" i could put up for the holidays, but my bf kept going "we don't need it, we move to much" blah blah blah.

THIS YEAR if he doesn't give in on the tree (we're not making any major moves for the next three years) i'm making my own freaking tree, and taping it on top of his michael jordan cut out, since that's where i congregated all our presents that we got for our families and friends last year.

i was going to make just a little tree, maybe a foot tall out of construction paper, but the michael jordan cut out is 6'6". i'm tempted to cover the entire thing. hehehehehehehee.

I just love Christmas decorations!!!! As we don't decorate houses for Halloween (we are now starting to have Halloween parties, and decorations at stores, but there's no trick-or-treating, or going out on the streets wearing costumes), and we don't even have Thanksgiving, the only time of the year we decorate houses is Christmas. When I move to the USA, I'll decorate my house in all the occasions!!!

We HAVE to have a real tree... I insist on it! Soooo decorating around our house usually takes place a week or two <at most> before Christmas. It's tradition now.... DH and I go to the tree farm, see a tree, walk all over god's green acres and go back and cut down the tree we originally saw! Happens every year! So why don't we just cut it when we see it? Heck and miss slipping and sliding in mud, muck and ice?? NO WAY! :g_laughin

After the tree is put up and DH puts the lights on (for me to rearrange), then the rest of the house gets transformed, including the Disney Princess tree for DD's room, Outside is done as the weather permits. Last year our poor airblown snowman spent more time down than up because of the winds...not sure if we'll even attempt him this year.

well if you have read my threads about halloween then you know that I decorate!!!!!!. My hubby loves to decor the outside, whilst I decor the inside. My problem this year is where, I am going to put some of the stuff I bought after Christmas when it was 90% off. Have alot more candles too. We decor on Black Friday. I come home take a nap, then get up put stuff away and put the tree up. Then we go down town to watch the parade of lights and get our picture taken with santa.

Guest Deals4Me

I had to laugh! Our husbands never better get together or we will OWN the light company! LOL :D

As for taking down our deco, we usually take it down the first week of the New Year. Altho, I hate to see them come down! :(

Heck no they'll never subside....Its a challenge to them. At my hubby's parents house, where he lived till we moved... He thought of it as a contest... every nook of the house was decorated. Funny part was he won this mental contest every year, cause the only thing in other houses was a christmas tree slightly visiable from behind curtains.

On my court, omg. Hubby is sooo bad. ugh.

BUT last year, I took the cake.

I dont like the holograph stuff, cause that plastic they make it from becomes brittle and fades over time...a short time.

BUT

When I walked into Menards a few days after christmas when they were putting stuff away, I found a rack with the HUGE holograh stuff that was selling for $100+ for $5 I bought the Santas Sliegh, and the reindeer.

I have a small Kia Rio...no way that stuff was fitting in the trunk...They are HUGE.So...We got them in the car and had to ride with windows down for a few small things that I couldnt keep contained in the car... BY THE WAY...This was in January and 2 feet of snow on the ground...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thank god for living close!