how do you get your mash potatoes to not be lumpy lol??

digman6

I dont ever make mash potatoes accept from a box lol. so how do I make good mash potatoes from scratch for 11 people ? 4 are adults the rest are kids ages 14-4 years old.

my mom always made great mash potatoes but unfortunalty asking her is no longer a option.

Boil potatos in water and chicken broth, drain when soft, put in large bowl and add salted REAL butter, 1/2c HEAVY CREAM and ground black pepper. Mix with mixer (<3 my kitchenaid!) If you are making a LARGE amount mix them half at time and then add them together and mix so you make sure to get all the lumps. If they are too thick add milk or cream. Add salt to taste...

I am well known for my tators :P

Boil potatos in water and chicken broth, drain when soft, put in large bowl and add salted REAL butter, 1/2c HEAVY CREAM and ground black pepper. Mix with mixer (<3 my kitchenaid!) If you are making a LARGE amount mix them half at time and then add them together and mix so you make sure to get all the lumps. If they are too thick add milk or cream. Add salt to taste...

I am well known for my tators :P

Hrm..I have never put them in my Kitchenaid..I may try that this year!! I always use the old hand held tater masher.

My DH insists on a few lumps - he says that's how he knows they are real! I just use my hand masher. Boil until soft, drain put butter in the bowl, add drained potatoes and mash. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like them creamier and sour cream, milk or cream. If you like them smoother use a hand mixer (or stand mixer if you have one.) Or you can really go wild and make them "loaded" - add sour cream, cheese, bacon, and/or chives.

Make sure you cut them in small pieces so that they are equally done. After you drain them, add your milk (cream or evaporated milk) back into the pan to warm. I NEVER use a mixer- it makes them sticky. I use a hand masher. If they are lumpy at the end, you can stick in a hand mixer.

I agree with previous posters- I love the lumps!

Make sure you cut them in small pieces so that they are equally done. After you drain them, add your milk (cream or evaporated milk) back into the pan to warm. I NEVER use a mixer- it makes them sticky. I use a hand masher. If they are lumpy at the end, you can stick in a hand mixer.

I agree with previous posters- I love the lumps!

I use a mixer and mine are never sticky. The texture is always perfect.

I use a mixer and mine are never sticky, always fluffy. I add my potatoes to cold water add some salt and boil until tender. The key is after you drain your potatoes add butter and we like black pepper, mix until all lumps are gone, then add your milk and beat until fluffy. If you add your milk before you get all the lumps out, the lumps are there to stay. We have a long southern lineage and this how we always make our mashed potatoes. You cannot add a liquid until all poatoes are mashed.

I use a mixer and mine are never sticky, always fluffy. I add my potatoes to cold water add some salt and boil until tender. The key is after you drain your potatoes add butter and we like black pepper, mix until all lumps are gone, then add your milk and beat until fluffy. If you add your milk before you get all the lumps out, the lumps are there to stay. We have a long southern lineage and this how we always make our mashed potatoes. You cannot add a liquid until all poatoes are mashed.

good thing to know when we tried to do potatoes one other time my husband made them. he added milk almost immediatly and they where so lumpy i hated it haha

using a food mill, or I think it's also called a ricer, will guarantee no lumps!

:gdyeahthat:

Technically, a food mill and ricer are different, but for mashed potatoes they work equally the same.

I love the fluffiness my ricer achieves on potatoes.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/285x285/11416_285.jpg

food mill

http://www.londonbarandkitchen.com/images/zoom/J450.jpg

potato ricer

(what I use)

:gdyeahthat:

Technically, a food mill and ricer are different, but for mashed potatoes they work equally the same.

I love the fluffiness my ricer achieves on potatoes.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/285x285/11416_285.jpg

food mill

http://www.londonbarandkitchen.com/images/zoom/J450.jpg

potato ricer

(what I use)

learn something new everyday! LOL I thought they were the same thing!

learn something new everyday! LOL I thought they were the same thing!

They seriously are pretty much interchangeable, when it comes to using them on potatoes. A food mill is not a "unitasker," as Alton Brown calls them, whereas a ricer is. The food mill can be used to make baby food, grind flour (with a lot of elbow grease), and other things. The ricer is pretty much only for potatoes.

and I always add a few cloves of garlic to mine with the water. The garlic breaks down while they are cooking and will disappear when you whip them with a beater.

I do the same, but since we love garlic i do one whole peeled clove of garlic for each potato I boil to be mashed. I think the boiled garlic takes on a mellower flavor even than roasted garlic, which I also love.

Hand mixer or stand mixer.

Seems the only thing I use my stand mixer for is mashed potatoes. They turn out so fluffy, buttery and delicious it was worth buying the kitchenaid mixer even if I only use it for potatoes.

Just make sure you add salt, butter (I use margarine) and milk while they are freshly drained and steaming hot and they should turn out perfect.