Cameras & Camcorders Discussion Thread

mcwalker

I am shopping for a new point and shoot camera and a new DSLR to upgrade from my "prosumer" camera, so I volunteered with stationchief to prepare comparison lists of all the cameras (and threw in the camcorders for good measure).

The camera and camcorder comparison tables can be found along with the other tables at: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com

Last year, there were 85 cameras and 25 camcorders listed on GottaDeal. So far I have put 127 cameras and 48 camcorders on the comparison lists this year. I think I have finally caught up and every camera/camcorder from the ads is listed, but as you will see, some information has not yet been entered. Note that certain cameras and camcorders are being offered by multiple stores, while others are unique to one store's BF offerings.

I invite comments on cameras / camcorders in this thread. If you see a mistake on one of the tables, please post here or drop me a PM.

So, what is the "best camera/camcorder deal?" Well, it really depends on the features that you want.

Cameras are classified in four types on the list:

- Point and Shoot (P&S) are generally smaller and simpler, but can vary considerably in quality, capability, and flexibility. There is great choice of P&S cameras on BF.

- Single Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras are always larger, more flexible, and more capable (especially in low light situations), and generally cost more. The number of SLR choices offered on BF is much smaller than for P&S, and people seriously considering an SLR might also consider other models not offered.

- Prosumer cameras are "transitional" between P&S and SLR. They are usually larger than P&S, smaller than SLR. Due to their larger lenses, they mimic the shape of an SLR, but their lenses are not removable/interchangeable.

- Novelty cameras: I have included simple cameras for kids and some other specialized cameras in this group. Although kids cameras can take pictures, these should be considered toys, so a P&S might be a better choice even for some children.

For the camcorders, I have two classifications on the list:

- Pocket camcorders are generally smaller (though some might require a larger pocket). Some of these have swing out LCD sreens, but generally, the screen or viewfinder is fixed on the back of the camcorder.

- Palm camcorders are generally a bit larger, and have better capabilities. Most of these have an LCD screen that swings out, and may pivot as well.

I will keep adding info to the tables. In the meantime, what cameras/camcorders are people looking for? What deals do you like in the ads?

Edited by mcwalker
corrections to first post

wow thanks so much for creating this thread, there wasn't one posted. the cam i was eying isn't even listed in the database.. but that could be a good thing for me, lol :g_laughin gonna check out the cams at sears though, thanks for linking to the database, didn't know gottadeal had one! looks great!

i am looking for a sony dsc-wx5. the cheapest i can find it right now is $269. some places had it for sale last week for $270, but the price has gone up since. should i bite on the 269? i was trying to pricematch it at newegg since i have a $10 bucks off coupon, but they said they do not pricematch. should i wait until balckfriday/cyber money to score a better deal on this? what do you guys think? anybody has seen anything else about this camera?

If you want to get into digital photography, always check around for used equipment. There are tons of people who buy the equipment, and never really go anywhere with it. I have a friend that's selling his XSi, with a thrify fifty lens and a UV filter. We got our cameras around the same time and now he's downsizing to a fancier P&S

Please check at newegg.com :

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Black 14.1 MP 2.7" 230k LCD 35X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

Item #: N82E16830120469

$369.00

Enter promotion code :EMCZZNN59 (-55)

Net :$314.00 with free shipping ..

HOT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120469&cm_re=canon_sx30-_-30-120-469-_-Product

Free shipping available, only sucks for me because I'm in CA, they charge sales tax.

WOW, gbcac! Thank you so much. Of course I went right to buy this item, but the reviews are awful... I was sure this camera was the one I wanted. I need to read some more reviews and see if this is still what I want.

Thank you so much for the coupon, will it work on other cameras too? I really appreciate it.

Can you guys help me with a point and shoot for my DD11 and DS7?? I was looking at the Kodaks at WM and I think Target (can't remember) but have any of you seen one, and thought that was a pretty good price for that decent a camera?? I am just really worried about the photos being blurry.

Can you guys help me with a point and shoot for my DD11 and DS7?? I was looking at the Kodaks at WM and I think Target (can't remember) but have any of you seen one, and thought that was a pretty good price for that decent a camera?? I am just really worried about the photos being blurry.

Photos are blurry if the photographer makes them blurry. I've taken decent pictures with a Kodak before (although I hate to admit it, and this is before I converted my husband.)

The Kodak at WalMart does not have IS (and won't at that price point) so the camera won't automatically stabilize a picture if the picture taker's hand is shaking.

Target doesn't have a Kodak. Office Depot and Walgreens has the C143 for $59ish.

If your kids just wants a basic camera, it's fine, considering they may lose it or break it. They also run on AA batteries, so you don't have to worry about charging batteries.

As for the price, it's not super duper cheap. At Office Depot, it's only $20 off on BF.

WOW, gbcac! Thank you so much. Of course I went right to buy this item, but the reviews are awful... I was sure this camera was the one I wanted. I need to read some more reviews and see if this is still what I want.

Thank you so much for the coupon, will it work on other cameras too? I really appreciate it.

I tried it with the S95, didn't work. :( That's also a camera I'd want, except it isn't a super zoom. It's just a pocket sized DSLR.

Can you guys help me with a point and shoot for my DD11 and DS7?? I am just really worried about the photos being blurry.

Photos are blurry if the photographer makes them blurry. I've taken decent pictures with a Kodak before...)

The Kodak at WalMart does not have IS (and won't at that price point) so the camera won't automatically stabilize a picture if the picture taker's hand is shaking.

JackJack: I can't point to a particular camera for you--there are many good choices. As blurry pictures are a concern, I do recommend a camera with image stabilization. Paying a little more now will make the camera still useful in a few years when your kids are a little older. I learned the hard way that digital cameras are more prone to motion blur than film cameras are, which is why all the makers started putting stabilization in a wide range of cameras a few years ago (just after I bought two cameras).

Note: The information on image stabilization in the comparison tables is not complete--many of the cameras have it even though I have not been able to collect all the info. If you see a camera and price you like, I would double check the manufacturer's web site for full specs. [uPDATE: one column was changed to Stabilization and I got that info entered for most cameras after this post.]

Also, more serious photographers don't deal in Kodak cameras, but reviews I have seen suggest that they are somewhat better than their reputation amoung photo-philes (but for the best look to Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony (which took over Minolta's line).

Edited by mcwalker

I also have a 9 year old and am looking for a camcorder. I was thinking about the $99 Samsung at Sears. Does anyone have any opinionsor thoughts?

Can you be more specific - what model are you talking about? Anyhow, Samsung camcorders are fine. not the best, but you can't expect perfection for $99. I'm sure your child will be more then pleased with it for the beginning.

This camera and the one advertised at Costco on BF are completely different.

The one at Costco on BF can currently be purchased at Amazon for 96.95 for the camera only. The Costco BF deal on the camera includes a memory card and a case.

The camera you linked is more of a bridge camera, inbetween a P&S and a DSLR.

It depends on what you want in a camera. The BF deal camera is a pocket sized camera, the one linked is slightly more powerful.

Although I personally wouldn't recommend a Kodak camera.

Thanks Fressia! do you have any recommendations? need a digital camera with good video capailities budget $200

Thanks

Brian.

Does it have to be HD? Do you want something pocket sized?

Canon is always reliable: Canon SD1400

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1400IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B0035FZJJ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290662336&sr=8-2

$149 now at Amazon, same price as BF. Comes with a 4GB Memory card on Amazon.

Slightly bigger, more zoom, Canon SX130 IS:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX130IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNG8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1290662336&sr=8-4

$179 on Amazon, same price as Office Depot on BF.