Official Black Friday DESKTOP COMPUTER Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are going to get what you pay for on BF. If you get a $200 pc, it isn't going to last you very long. I am also in the market for a PC this BF, but my strategy is a top down rather than a bottom up. I look at the best PCs on sale on BF and find the best value for the price/discount. I'm really hoping for something with a Core i5 with a $200-$300 discount. The nice part about the top down model is that you usually dont have to wait as long in line for them, as you will be paying more.

The emachines I have purchased on BF for friends have lasted over four years now. Depends what you plan to use the PC for should influence if you by the $200 deal or not. The $189 emachines of four years ago are fine for web browsing, email, and light gaming. The $299 emachines of last year (which we have two) are good for that and much more. Good maintenance and any PC will last. I have had my desktop for five years now and it still performs well. Though Dad is getting an upgrade this year! Edited by dad2trips

The issue you can have if you buy cheap now is that everything comes with Windows 7 and if the computer is lacking in specs, it may have issues running that OS. It is getting harder and harder to revert back to XP because of the lack of drivers, etc. But yes, if you are just using your computer for basic things a cheap one can work for you usually.

The nice part about the top down model is that you usually dont have to wait as long in line for them, as you will be paying more.

I'd say the bottom-most cheapest and the top-most expensive are gonna be the ones they run out of first. Gamers and college students are gonna want great deals on the very best and some folks out there just want what's cheapest to get 'em online. When they run outta those the next step down, or up as the case may be, goes next. I think ya got the right idea that your best bet without waitin' in line would be a mid to high-range Core i5 or somethin' with a decent processor. Of course almost everythin' else in the PC can be upgraded later.

I gotta then called "Everex'' from Wal-Mart for a Xmas present back in 04 and im still using it as I type.. Although its not lightning quick, I could manage to do email,internet and some games.. In the meantime, its starting to go snail slow and this is the year im purchasing a new desktop PC..Lookin in the $300-400 range...Hoping for some good deal$ this year!

I see tons of notebooks and netbooks in the flyers but nary a desktop!! I bought my Dell in 2004 and it still works ok but it won't even run my new HP printer lol. I am DYING for a new one! Waiting and hoping for something in the Staples ad as Best Buy around here is a madhouse.

I'm thinking about getting a desktop (haven't had in about 10+ years...have strictly been a laptop person). It will depend on the price as I also need a new laptop. Planning on camping out for both if the price is right.

DS' laptops motherboard went so we have to get hime a new computer. He wants a desktop. I need a Laptop so will be on the lookout for both. So far my hopes are with BB since there have been no desktops yet. I need on to run an engineering program that DS is getting from his teacher at school. I saw one a few weeks ago but decided to hold out to see what BF would have.

I see tons of notebooks and netbooks in the flyers but nary a desktop!! I bought my Dell in 2004 and it still works ok but it won't even run my new HP printer lol. I am DYING for a new one! Waiting and hoping for something in the Staples ad as Best Buy around here is a madhouse.

It's becoming a laptop world. Sad day. Go to a store once, the laptop to desktop ratio is about 10:1.

It's becoming a laptop world. Sad day. Go to a store once, the laptop to desktop ratio is about 10:1.

I have three children so I go to the store almost every day but thanks for the suggestion. I cannot stand doing much typing on a laptop and hate using the touchpad so a desktop is better suited to my needs. DH has a desktop in his office and the rest of us all have netbooks or Macbooks (although I find my iPod touch is all I need for on the go). Guess I will have to wait and see what the rest of the ads bring.

CPU comparison chart to help those of you who know little about the relative value of each processor. Each tier brings a small increase in performance from bottom to top.

So, if for example you find a computer A with all the same features as computer B, at the same price, but one has a AMD Phenom X4 955 processor, and one only has a Core 2 Quad Q9300 you know that you will get more performance/$ out of the 955 computer...all other parts and prices being equal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-upgradable-processor-phenom-ii-x6,2731-6.html

If it is just online games, then yes. If it is games that are based on your computer that you join up online (think the newest Starcraft), maybe not.

Thanks for responding. This would be a gift for my mom. All she does on it, other than email, is play games (Pogo, etc...). It's definately a good price, but I wasn't sure how it would run.

Extremely disappointed in the lack of deals on higher end desktops this year. I was hoping for a deal on something that had at least a Phenom x4 in it, but the best I see at a store is the Athlon x4 at Staples. Am I right or am I missing one?

Is there a way to find out more about BF products, other than what we get from these early released ads? For instance Best Buy has eMachines AMD Athlon Desktop w/ 2GB, 320GB (No Monitor) $219.99 and I've tried looking up more info on this desktop and there's nothing... for instance is it integrated graphics, does it have dvi output...? things like that... would the store have this item on display now?

This is my first BF hunt so I'm not really familiar how everything works

Is there a way to find out more about BF products, other than what we get from these early released ads? For instance Best Buy has eMachines AMD Athlon Desktop w/ 2GB, 320GB (No Monitor) $219.99 and I've tried looking up more info on this desktop and there's nothing... for instance is it integrated graphics, does it have dvi output...? things like that... would the store have this item on display now?

This is my first BF hunt so I'm not really familiar how everything works

for that price, it is either an integrated graphics, or a super low card. DVI output is possible but unlikely, but the adapters are rather cheap if it does not and you are not buying a discrete graphics card.

Originally posted by nhughes

"Office Max looks to be my stop this year..They have an Acer 4GB Desktop for $349.99

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/bla...w4GB640GB.html "

I picked up this Acer desktop at Office Max last night and they said they will price adjust for 14 days, so I will go and get $50 back on Black Friday off the $399 I paid last night. I have the Acer hooked up to my 32" Samsung HDTV and it looks & works pretty good with Netflix movies too!

Edited by rebeljean55

Originally posted by nhughes

"Office Max looks to be my stop this year..They have an Acer 4GB Desktop for $349.99

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/bla...w4GB640GB.html "

I picked up this Acer desktop at Office Max last night and they said they will price adjust for 14 days, so I will go and get $50 back on Black Friday off the $399 I paid last night. I have the Acer hooked up to my 32" Samsung HDTV and it looks & works pretty good with Netflix movies too!

REBELJEAN...hey thanks for your input....it didn't come with a monitor though did it?