cell phone/service

I am sure this has been discussed a few times, but I have a couple of specific questions so thought I would ask separately:

We have Verizon for our service. I really like them because we get service a lot of places our friends are complaining that they dont (we go into the mountains a lot). My hubby is convinced that we can get cheaper service.... (his "friend" pays less but I dont know the specifics- hubby is not real tech savvy). Anyway, we can get fun new phones in february (2 year upgrade) or wait until contract up in June and switch. We have 3 lines and texting is a must. We have 1400 minutes split between us. Here are my questions:

1. We all want cool touch type phones with keyboard too- son is wanting HTC, I really dont care what kind I get as long as I like the phone (friend has LG touch one I like a lot). I like the ones that buzz in your hand when you do stuff. I really want to find phones without the stupid huge cancel fee (the 175 is fine, the 350 or whatever is not). Any suggestions?

2. Who do you have for service- Verizon, T-mobile...??? Do you like who you have? T-mobile seems about $20 less a month for what we would need.

3. If you have Verizon, have you ever told them that this other company only charges $xx.xx for the same service- will they price match?

4. If I get my hubby internet, they have two choices- 9.99 for 25 MB or 29.99 unlimited (the 29.99 is pretty much a no way in my book- we already pay $150/month). Is 25 MB enough to use the internet some? As in, could he use it a lot or will he be going over all the time?

5. Can we go somewhere besides the Verizon store to get our new phones, i.e. Best Buy, etc. and is this a good idea or not? (this would be if we do the 2 year upgrade deal) Or do you find better deals on Verizon website?

Thanks!!!

Edited by rachealb

I have Verizon and I really have not negotiated with them on the rate. You can always threaten to cancel and see if they can help you on the rate. My previous employer had discounts for Verizon, and that got me about 15% off my bill.

However, if you get your husband the 9.99 internet plan, be prepared for the overages if he goes online A LOT. The overage fee is ridiculous per MB and it's very easy to go over it. Also note some phones may require a mandatory 10 dollar data plan, no matter what. And Verizon does their best to get you off the grandfathered plans the second you pick up a new snazzier phone - happened to my friend. She had unlimited texting back in the day for no cost, then they switched her plan when she upgraded, then they forced a mandatory 10.00 data plan fee on her current phone.

You can go to Best Buy - I used to go to an authorized dealer or reseller all the time and got my phones relatively cheap before Verizon wisened up to my tactics of switching my phone number every two years to qualify as a "new" customer. The deal at Best Buy may be better but it really depends on the phone and the contract specifics. If you want the Motorola Droid, it might not be as good. The HTC Droid Eris though, you may be able to finangle some deals.

Note if you go outside of Verizon, you may not be able to cancel/switch for a set period of months as the vendor waits for their commission from Verizon to come through.

I know this is all kinda garbled, my response, but I personally have been happy with Verizon, and I don't want to leave them because I think their coverage is far superior to anyone else out there. T-Mobile's coverage is nowhere near as extensive as Verizon's I believe.

I would really check out what some of the smaller carriers are offering. No doubt that Verizon has the best national network, but many smaller carriers have excellent coverage in their regions and have partnerships with others allowing their customers to travel anywhere. Metro PCS and Cricket both offer great values and most plans come with unlimited features (minutes, texting, internet) so no worrying about going over on the internet. Do some research and think about what you really use, good chance you'll come out ahead with someone smaller.

We also have verizon. 3 lines. Unlimited texting, unlimited internet access and 1000 minutes to share. We pay $155 a month. We never go over our minutes because pretty much everyone we call is verizon/alltel or in the circle of numbers (not sure what verizon calls it, we just got merged here a few months back).

I have US Cellular my monthly bill is about $150 for 2 phones on the family plan.. I have Nation wide 1000 minutes @69.99 the 2nd phone is $9.99 we have a family unlimited texting plan @ 19.99, included is mobile to mobile, all incoming calls, text, picture messages and nights and weekends starting at 7pm... I have a blackberry so the data plan on it is 24.95 a month which ran it up to $150 before i got the blackberry my bill was $120 and we have never gone over our minutes but that is probably due to all incoming calls being free... OH and I do pay the $5.95 a month for the insurance on each phone(DH dropped his at work and didnt know and it was ran over glad it was insured)

Be sure and check all the coverage maps for where you live/work/play.

Saving money is great, but if you don't have coverage, you may as well not even have a cellphone.

FWIW, I have TMobile. They work fine for me, but when I visit my parents in the boonies, I get very little signal.

I have had T-Mobile for 5+ years. We never had any problems. We recently purchased a G1 phone(touch screen, unlimited internet ect.) The screen shattered within 2 months of the purchase. T-Mobile's customer service was completely unwilling to help us get a new phone, excpet to charge us full price. All in all T-Mobiles prices are great, and coverage is good where we live, but if you ever have a problem, the customer service is a force to be reckoned with. We are cancelling our service and not looking back.

I have Verizon. I've had them for about 10 years now. I've been very happy with them. I call them regularly to make sure we are on the best plan. We are currently on 1400 minutes we only use about 500 of them since we use a lot of "in-calling" and the 10 #'s you get for friends and family, free nights and weekends. But we need this plan because it includes Talking and Texting. We have 4 phones on our plan (my husband, me, 2 college students). This is the one carrier that we get at our house since we live in the hills and Verizon offers the "network extender box" and that works AWESOME for us.

Verizon changed some things after January 18th. If you buy anything other than a "simple phone" you will have to get a data plan. I just got ordered the Samsung Intensity since it is one of the only simple phones that has a QWERTY keyboard. I'll let you know how I like that when it gets here today.

I would definitely check with your employer (or your husbands) to see if they offer a discount for Verizon. Every little bit helps.

I've had other carriers and I'm happy with Verizon and I will just stay with them (just committed to another 2 years being that I just upgraded 2 of our phones).

We have ATT and have been happy...I guess as it goes. If you can't get a discount thru an employer try the university or AAA. I get a 15% discount for being a member of the alumni association. I would go in before you are ready to switch or re up and ask all those questions. Take the information and see what other companies offer.

I just got ordered the Samsung Intensity since it is one of the only simple phones that has a QWERTY keyboard. I'll let you know how I like that when it gets here today.

I would love to know what you think of this phone. We will be getting new phones in June and while I know that is still a little ways off and they may come out with more things I might be interested in, I am trying to figure out now what phone I want. I want a simple phone but must have the QWERTY keyboard. I too have Verizon. (truthfully I want a blackberry storm but dont want to pay the $29.95 a month fee so will be getting a simple phone)

Be sure to check Walmart, as well. My dd bought her phone there. She got a smart phone and the 'Walmart plan' which was unlimited data and texting for $19.95. This was for Alltel, however the lady there said that they have special plans and features for all of their carriers.

We have Sprint and I really don't think our plan could be beat by Verizon because Verizon charges separately for everything.

We have:

*4 phones

*1500 minutes (we barely use 500)

*unlimited mobile to mobile (that is ANY cell phone on ANY network!!)

*free nights after 7pm & free weekends

*unlimited data, text & picture mail

*GPS

*all the NFL Live, Sprint TV, Sprint Radio....basically everything....probably why it is called the "Simply Everything Data Package".

I pay $163 a month total including the fortune in taxes that cell phone companies have to charge,lol.

• 3 weeks later...

definately check with your employer. I just got an email about an employee discount for T-Mobile that offers:

750 mins, 5 phones—$81 /mo

1500 mins, 5 phones—$99 /mo

UNL mins, 5 phones—$198 /mo

Add UNL Text/ MMS/ IM for all lines—$18 /mo

Add UNL Web to each line—$27 /mo (ea line)

offer also had 5 free phones after MIR and 2 year contract

I have had T-Mobile for 5+ years. We never had any problems. We recently purchased a G1 phone(touch screen, unlimited internet ect.) The screen shattered within 2 months of the purchase. T-Mobile's customer service was completely unwilling to help us get a new phone, excpet to charge us full price. All in all T-Mobiles prices are great, and coverage is good where we live, but if you ever have a problem, the customer service is a force to be reckoned with. We are cancelling our service and not looking back.

I also have TMobile. The KEY to getting what you want from them when you brake ur phone & its ur fault is to ask for the cancellation department. Do not go through customer service, neither they or their supervisors will give you what you want. The cancellation department will pretty much do whatever you want. I love them! My daughter was jump roping on the last day of 7th grade in shorts with small pockets. Her phone bounced out of her pocket and she jumped on it LOL. It couldn't be much more her fault if she tried! Cancellation department sold me a new phone at the upgrade price. She had just gotten a new phone 6 months earlier, so she wasn't eligible for the upgrade but they did it anyway....we extended her contract 2yrs (she was only 6 months in on the other one & we saved $120). Around the same time my son's side kick's screen cracked all by itself (i dont believe that, but it wasn't worth the argument) same deal, new phone at the qualified upgrade price & he was only 6 months into his contract. GL

Went to the Verizon store tonight to get our new phones (we decided we liked their coverage enough to stay) and left without any. While the deal we would have gotten for the phones was totally acceptable (three cool touch type phones for maybe $50 out of pocket), pretty much every phone in the store had to have a data plan. I mean, there were 4 phones only in the entire store without the data plan which starts at 9.99 per phone, meaning an extra $30 a month on top of our already big bill. This sucks. The data plan BS sucks. really not enthused

Went to the Verizon store tonight to get our new phones (we decided we liked their coverage enough to stay) and left without any. While the deal we would have gotten for the phones was totally acceptable (three cool touch type phones for maybe $50 out of pocket), pretty much every phone in the store had to have a data plan. I mean, there were 4 phones only in the entire store without the data plan which starts at 9.99 per phone, meaning an extra $30 a month on top of our already big bill. This sucks. The data plan BS sucks. really not enthused

I didn't like that either. But I guess other companies are doing the same thing. I love my Samsung Intensity. It is the one Verizon phone that has a qwerty keyboard and doesn't charge a data plan. But I only use texting I don't use internet options with my phone. My phones were $29.99 buy one get one free. I think you can get better deals online than through stores. I'm sure they get commision...some deals are only available online. You get free shipping (2 day). I've had other carriers...Verizon works best for us. We have to stay with them (for now - unless somebody else kicks up their coverage).

We have had verizon for many years now. We had sprint years ago and the coverage sucked. My husband used to drive all over WNY and on the border or pennsylvania for his job and with sprint there were so many places he couldn't get service. At verizon the out of service areas were seriously minimized. Then I got on verizon and we dropped the home phone.

The phone I got recently to replace mine (i thought it had died for good) SUCKS! its a CDM 8950 which is a pretty basic phone. My husband is up for his new every 2 (the last one he is eligible for) but doesn't want to. They are trying to get us on a data plan. Screw that! I don't text and am not getting any data or texting plan unless I can get a phone with one of those keyboard things.... and that's not happening because I'd have to buy it myself and my cheap basic phone was $300 if I bought it. I know because I didn't activate it in 20 days and they charged me $300!! I like verizon, but i think these cell phones are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!! And it would be nice if I didn't have to buy all new cords every time I replaced my phone. Oh well.

I myself wonder how the smaller carriers would be. $50 for unlimited talk/text/internet. sounds good. Just don't know about places you can get service.

Cricket wireless has been running $25 a month for talk and text no contracts. Like others have said - wonder about the reception.

My DH has a friend from Nashville that has Cricket and he was here in North Texas visiting on Saturday and he had NO service at all the entire time he was here..

It REALLY depends on where you live. I'm in IL and could tell you all how much I love and adore and want to marry AT&T but my friend who lives in CO had no luck with them there. I hear Verizon is the way to go where you live ( in CO ) but forcing a data plan is a bunch of BS.

Unfortunately, however, the fancier phones are getting, the more I think everyone is going to go in that direction.

Check Verizon online. See if they have message boards. You might also want to check their facebook page. I know I have gotten some good info from AT&T's FB page.

Good luck. Picking a phone is like picking a politician. Check out all of them and find the one that sucks the least for you.

• 1 month later...

I also have TMobile. The KEY to getting what you want from them when you brake ur phone & its ur fault is to ask for the cancellation department. Do not go through customer service, neither they or their supervisors will give you what you want. The cancellation department will pretty much do whatever you want. I love them! My daughter was jump roping on the last day of 7th grade in shorts with small pockets. Her phone bounced out of her pocket and she jumped on it LOL. It couldn't be much more her fault if she tried! Cancellation department sold me a new phone at the upgrade price. She had just gotten a new phone 6 months earlier, so she wasn't eligible for the upgrade but they did it anyway....we extended her contract 2yrs (she was only 6 months in on the other one & we saved $120). Around the same time my son's side kick's screen cracked all by itself (i dont believe that, but it wasn't worth the argument) same deal, new phone at the qualified upgrade price & he was only 6 months into his contract. GL

Ditto on that......I ALWAYS ask for the cancellation dept....They even sold me my new Blackberry without the data plan....

Going through them...my daughter and I get new phones every year...

I have Verizon. I rarely if ever go their store. I always call to do anything with my account. I also always order my phones over the the phone with them. I look for what I want online maybe pop into a store to see it in person. Then call to order. I get way better deals on our plan and phones by calling them directly. I got to upgrade 8 months early by bargaining with them. I have them bill our phones to our account and just pay that when the bill comes in. Try calling them and seeing what you can get.