Going out for dinner Christmas Eve??

snakeswiff

My sisters in laws always take everyone out for dinner after the holidays, as a thank you( we host Christmas as we have the biggest house) for all the home cooked holiday goodness :) Anyway this year they are taking us all out for Christmas Eve instead. this will be the first time ever we are not home to eat on the Eve...it is causing me some anxiety, plus it being my DD's birthday doesn't make me feel any better about it.

So yeah, my question is to those who have gone out Christmas Eve as opposed to stayed home....was it a good experience? Would you do it again?

It just doesn't feel very "family" to me, even though the whole family will be there.......

One thing I've learned about in-laws and holidays as I've gotten older, is that as long as everyone is together, it's a good thing.

Perhaps you could make it an early dinner? Or lunch? That way, you could still go home and enjoy your usual festivities with your family, especially for your DD's birthday.

We've never gone out to dinner for Xmas Eve, but it might be fun! :)

My sisters in laws always take everyone out for dinner after the holidays, as a thank you( we host Christmas as we have the biggest house) for all the home cooked holiday goodness :) Anyway this year they are taking us all out for Christmas Eve instead. this will be the first time ever we are not home to eat on the Eve...it is causing me some anxiety, plus it being my DD's birthday doesn't make me feel any better about it.

So yeah, my question is to those who have gone out Christmas Eve as opposed to stayed home....was it a good experience? Would you do it again?

It just doesn't feel very "family" to me, even though the whole family will be there.......

personally I do not like it....... but I am not a fan of going out anyway... and holiday are for "grandams pie's", "aunt's casserole" and whatnot. we did it one year it was ok, we were together. That said my family does not do holidays anymore, I stay home alone eating(this year I am not even sure if I want to decorate) whatever so maybe my opinion is not the one you need,lol.

Coming from a person whose birthday is on Christmas Eve and my in-laws take me out every year for my birthday(and my SIL also, their DD, as it is also her bday), I don't mind it. I like that the family is all together and having a nice meal. I would like to stay home this year as the last couple years we have done nothing fun and have done what my Inlaws wanted to do. 2 years ago we drove around for 3 hours looking for them a house... in the rain. I was not happy.

I also think it is just about the family being together. You will be surprised at the number of people eating out on Christmas Eve.

This is how we celebrate the holidays every year with my in-laws, we take everyone out for dinner at some kind of a buffet on Christmas Eve, it actually releves alot of stress, that way we get to stay home on Christmas and my family comes that day since they just live down the road............

Restaurants around here post early-closing hours on Christmas Eve. It seems like a nice idea to eat out --- but I feel badly for staff who have to work til closing and then probably clean/prep for the next open day.

I 2nd that..

However It is nice of them to want to take yall out.. but maybe try and atleast do it early, so that you still hav e Christmas eve Night at home with the kids. Or try to plan something WITH your inlaws so that it can go in with your DD birthday also.

Good luck.. and hope you all have a nice time.

One year me, my mom, my grandmother, uncle, and cousin went out for lunch on Christmas Day to Denny's.

Just a little extra holiday meal since everyone in our family celebrates on christmas eve and we are no longer welcome at my aunt's house because they are small minded idiots :mad: but back to original subject, Denny's was ridiculously crowded that day and out of a lot of food lol

I don't think we'd ever eat out again for Christmas unless it was a random just because type of situation but we would never replace it for our holiday get together meal, we love having our family here and celebrating like we always have.

A lot of Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. THe last few years we have had Christmas dinner at one (not quite as funny as "A Christmas Story" but a lot of fun for us and no dishes to wash). WHen I was younger my family would meet up at a seafood restaurant near my parents house for Christmas Eve dinner. THey did close early though. First year they said 8 but stayed open until 9 because another large group came in just before close....

Waffle House is open 24 x 7 .. I'd go to a place that is open so that the waitstaff will have a few more customers! And yummy scattered and smothered hash browns!

Ew. Sorry I have been to the Waffle House once when I was visiting VA and I thought it was disgusting. OAN: We have done Denny's on either Christmas Eve or Christmas night, can't remember and it was PACKED!

We got to Olive Garden every Christmas Eve. It feels very family because it's usually less crowded than usual and everyone is in a festive, good mood - or at least that has been our experience. We started it one year and enjoyed it so much we kept it as a tradition.

now that does sound more fun then other options

That is very thoughtful of your SIL's to express their thanks in this way. I never host the holidays at my house (too small, too dirty :() I may take this idea. I know how much work it is to host and not to have to clean up the night before or the night after would probably be welcome.

We got to Olive Garden every Christmas Eve. It feels very family because it's usually less crowded than usual and everyone is in a festive, good mood - or at least that has been our experience. We started it one year and enjoyed it so much we kept it as a tradition.

We do Olive Garden too. It's just a few of us and we find it's more relaxing to go out to dinner. We have no clean up and actually spend more quality time together. We usually have desserts and snacks when we get home, through the evening.