Do your kids still believe in Santa?

stacy0479

Six year old DS still does believe. 13 year old DS does not. But the big one KNOWS he'd better keep the joy of Santa alive for his brother's sake or mom and dad would be MAD at him...:D. The 13 yr old stopped believing around 10ish.

My sister has DD 10 and 1.5...she always told her daughter from age 4 or 5 that there was NOT a Santa...my sister was traumatized as a child because another child who was of a different religion told her there was no Santa..I think my sister was about 8...It really affected her, obviously:eek:...I still can't believe we're related...we are TOTAL opposites. I told my sister she's better not tell my kids that or there would be H**L to pay!!!

My wife and I are having a similar dilemma. I don't want to lie to our son, but I love the idea of him thinking that a jolly fat man gave him presents b/c he was good. My wife keeps asking what we should do. Honestly, I don't know what to tell him.Sorry, I forgot to tell you that he is two so soon I will have to come up with something! Edited by civiclover88
forgot to tell age DUH!

When I was in first grade my school hired an extra teacher pretty much at the last minute because they realized their 1st grade classrooms were going to be seriously over-crowded that year. On my first day of first grade this new teacher (Mrs. LOVE, if you believe that) stood up in front of us and said something to the effect of, "Hello, I'm Mrs. Love. I am so happy to have all of you in my class. We will have a lot of fun together this year. We will study hard but we will have games and holiday parties as well. Of course, you are all big boys and girls now and you know that there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. But we can still celebrate the holidays and have a great time!" :shock: There were about 25 wide-eyed faces staring back at her in disbelief. A few burst into tears. :no:

About two weeks later the classes were consolidated and we ended up with an average of 38 students per first grade class that year. Mrs. Love was moved over to the 5th grade hall. :yup:

When I was in first grade my school hired an extra teacher pretty much at the last minute because they realized their 1st grade classrooms were going to be seriously over-crowded that year. On my first day of first grade this new teacher (Mrs. LOVE, if you believe that) stood up in front of us and said something to the effect of, "Hello, I'm Mrs. Love. I am so happy to have all of you in my class. We will have a lot of fun together this year. We will study hard but we will have games and holiday parties as well. Of course, you are all big boys and girls now and you know that there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. But we can still celebrate the holidays and have a great time!" :shock: There were about 25 wide-eyed faces staring back at her in disbelief. A few burst into tears. :no:

About two weeks later the classes were consolidated and we ended up with an average of 38 students per first grade class that year. Mrs. Love was moved over to the 5th grade hall. :yup:

Wow, that was uncalled for. I had a similar thing happen to me around that age. I was in Sunday School class, and my churches pastor walked in and announced that Santa was not real. Wow, I was floored. I guess that disappointed feeling is why I chose not to teach my son about Santa. Oddly enough, we ran into that same pastor when my son was 14 months and he ask my son what Santa brought him for Christmas. Hah. My son has always enjoyed playing along with the Santa thing, though for all the kids in our family (most of them do believe).

Edited by Kim3498

But honestly, my kids are 7,12,13 and they all still believe.

Although about 2 weeks ago my DD12 was ont he computer and she looked like she was really stressed out and deep in concentration. When I asked her what she was doing she said she was doing research. So me being mom I asked what was the research on and she told me she was trying to prove that Santa is real because an elder cousin told her he is not.

Needless to say somehow she came to the conclusion that Santa is indeed real, and her cousin who is 16 got grounded for the weekend.

Santa and believing is really big in our family. And the the 16 year old is in a very rebelious stage in her life and is down right mean and nasty to EVERYONE. So thats why she was grounded, not because she doesnt believe, but because she told some of the younger kids this to upset them.

aww TNT i love that :) what a great santa!

anyone use black friday as a santa day? I wanted *some* of the credit right off the bat, so my son knows that the day after thanksgiving mom has breakfast with santa and a lot of other local moms and go over wish lists with him! ha! ;)

I do!!! I just told my son the other day, he has been DYING to get Madden 10 and I keep saying put it on your Christmas list, but I told him don't you know that I talk to Santa on BF? What's even funnier is DF has Santa's phone number on his cell phone. Apparently if you call it, it really is Santa. I have no clue though cause I have never called it. LOL

LOL!! my grandpa has been santa for years via the phone, but sadly this is 99% going to be his last christmas....I actually thought about recording him as santa for myself to remember both his voice, and my son's reaction to "talking" to santa...

whew...teared up bad typing that up! lots of typos to fix!

We chose not to teach our kids that Santa brought gifts, but they received the gifts from us simply because we loved them. They have never told another child in our family or any of their friends because we wanted them to respect other parents choices for their family. Some of our children are starting families and having to decide for themselves what they will teach their children.

My sons are 2 and 5, and both believe in Santa. Last year, my 5 year old son was so shocked that Santa had actually left a huge present under his bed. He couldn't figure out how Santa had done that.

I do not look forward to the day he stops believing. It will just break my heart. I am 30 years old, and still get excited to see Santa.

We haven't really ever done Santa either. We don't *not* do it either though if that makes sense. We don't write "from Santa" on gift tags but we also don't write "from Mom and Dad" either. We just write the name of the person the gift is for.

Over the years, they've both done things with Santa at school and my mom does talk about Santa coming and things like that but they have never asked why or why doesn't Santa come to our house. I'm pretty sure that they understand that it's just a part of Christmas and they are free to believe in whatever they like.

My sons are 2 and 5, and both believe in Santa. Last year, my 5 year old son was so shocked that Santa had actually left a huge present under his bed. He couldn't figure out how Santa had done that.

I do not look forward to the day he stops believing. It will just break my heart. I am 30 years old, and still get excited to see Santa.

My son puts a fake little 3" tree in his room on his bookcase. I did it when I was little and the tradition carried over. Santa always leaves little presents, like football cards or something under that tree too. :)

I have two boys ages 7 and 2. They both 100% believe. My oldest has mentioned before a few weeks ago about us being santa and I said, "there's no way I can Santa..Me and daddy can't buy all those you toys you get from him". He accepted that answer and talks about santa almost on a daily basis ever since. I love that he still believes. I also purchased Elf On The Shelf last christmas and the boys love their elf that comes every night in Dec. to visit them. If anyone doesn't know what Elf on the Shelf is then you should def. google it. Its a very neat toy for the kids. When my oldest was only 1 I started I tradition with him that we get up every christmas eve and make home made choc. chip cookies for Santa. I can't wait for this year when my youngest will be able to help us. I also video tape them making the cookies and putting santa's cookies out that night.

our kids are 10, 12, 13, 16, and 21... the 10 year old doesn't SAY he doesn't believe... but he took Santa gifts to another house and said "look what mom and dad got me"... I quickly said 'oh that one was from Santa'... he gave me a strange look so I don't know if he's on the fence or what.... probably be able to tell this year.

My 21 year old believed till she was 10 and informed me about how crazy I was one day for believing... she really thought I believed .. and I do ;)

The 16 year old has NEVER asked for anything she wanted.. she's of the mind frame that her parents should just KNOW what she wants... birthdays, at the store, etc... even if she has her own money we should know what store she wants to go to and she gets extremely upset if we don't guess correctly.. if we try to pin her down and make her tell us... she tells us what she thinks we want to hear.... anyway..... Santa let her down... twice and at age 8 she told us if he was real she would have gotten what she wanted.... we tried the "but you didn't ask" thing and got nowhere ... because she politely said that if he can fly, he can read minds too.

Now the 12/13 year old boys had their own discussion about it when they were in 2nd and 3rd grade... DS12 was 7 and DS13 was 8.. the younger one decided that reindeer can't really fly, etc... all this based on the older one asking what he thought because a bigger kid on the bus told him he was a baby to believe... so I told them to believe whatever they wanted to believe and that other boy better be really good to make up for saying such a mean thing.... and I heard them talking and the older one said based on reindeer can't fly he must not be real... the younger boy says but he COULD use a helicopter.... 2 weeks before Christmas the boys had to go to the eye doc.... one of the docs was in the toy area (walled off with a 5-6 foot wall from the rest of the waiting area.... turns out Santa had an earphone in and when the child went in, the receptionist had a radio and she questioned the parents about what the kid would be doing, his name, teacher's name, etc.... and she could hear what he was talking to the kid about.... I guess he questioned good ole Santa... he came out of there... said Man I am glad you brought me here today... cause I wasn't gonna get anything for saying he wasn't real.. but he must be cause he even knows a guy that goes to our church! That bought us another 2 years but to this day they don't know how "santa" at the eye doctor was so smart ;)

Sadly I think this will be the last year any of my children believe in Santa. My oldest dd is nearly 19, my ds is 13 and my youngest dd is 9. Of course the older two don't believe but they are great about playing along.

I've had to step in on a couple conversations between my youngest dd and my 10 yr old niece. My niece doesn't believe anymore and was starting to "break the news" to my dd. I called her out of the room and whispered that "A" still believes and to please not say anything. She asked why and I just explained that it made it fun to believe and that I enjoyed playing Santa for her. She seemed ok with that and the conversation stopped.:thumbsup:

I do remember how my older two reacted when we told them the news. We sat our oldest dd down when she was about 10 or 11 and told her we had something we needed to tell her. After spilling our "secret" she giggled and said she had already figured it out. LOL then I told her there was more and explained how we also played the Easter bunny and the toothfairy. Her eyes got HUGE and just couldn't believe it. I had to laugh because here was a kid who didn't believe in a jolly old human in a red suit but DID believe in a rabbit that left eggs and a fairy that took her teeth.:lolrun: We still tease her a bit about that every now and again. She just rolls her eyes and walks away.:tongue1:

DD11 knows about santa and got to go BF shopping with me last year for the first time and loved it! She knows not to say anything to the younger kids too. DS9 I think is catching on to things but he won't say anything! DD8 still belives for sure and I wish she would forever lol!

Ok I have 3 kids, twin boys 11, and a dd 3. So this is the first year that my daughter has actually wanted Santa Claus to come and see her....lol. She was terrified of him last year and the year beofe and too young to care before that..(she just turned 3 10th of Oct.)

But my boys do not believe in Santa Claus anymore..We told them the truth three years ago because they kept asking and my husband had hurt his knee and was not able to work for about 1 month. So we knew it was gonna be a slow Christmas and we wanted them to be prepared.

But they know now (and it does have it's advantages). At least if I don't find what they want, or just can't get it before Christmas, we can always just give them money and let them get it after Christmas.

I also remember when they would go shopping with me and I would put their gifts under the buggy.. lol I did that until they were prob 5. They never paid any attention to it...My little girl though doesn't miss anything. I've not been able to buy stuff and put it in the buggy for her since Christmas 2 years ago.. when she was 1. lol...She just is too smart and too nosy..lol:D

My DS is 11 and believe it or not, he still believes in Santa. Each year I keep saying this is the last year, but I really think this year is the last. He has had some kids and a teacher tell him that Santa isn't real, but I told him he has to be real cause who eats the cookies we leave out, we track him on Norad, and who brings the presents that I don't get? He still believes! LOL

So do your kids still believe? If not, what age were they when they stopped?

My oldest is 11 and she knows the truth. I told her when she was 9 since I saw my nephew and niece getting teased in school because at 11 they stil swore Santa was real. I did however warn her if she tells her younger siblings that momy and daddy are really Santa she will loses the gift that Santa usually brings her. This is her second Christmas knowing the truth and she has never hinted to the others about knowing the truth, in fact she helps keep them believing it. Especially for a boy though if it goes on for too long they will get teased and it could cause problems, but that is a decision that needs to be made on an individual basis and no one can really tell you when you should tell your child.

My son puts a fake little 3" tree in his room on his bookcase. I did it when I was little and the tradition carried over. Santa always leaves little presents, like football cards or something under that tree too. :)

I love this idea and never thought of it...my DD7 puts alittle tree up in her room every year...she believes in Santa and can't wait...My DS10 says Santa isn't real and knows I buy the stuff but yet when he sees somthing he really wants he says "I'll ask Santa for it". His friends at school tell him Santa isn't real but he is so confused because Santa always brings him such nice (expensive) stuff and he knows Mommy is very poor ;)...he doesn't realize how long I save and how much I read GOTTADEAL forums lol