What preparation do you do on Thanksgiving for BF?

Jen08

Every thanksgiving morning, I get up before 7am, slip on my bathrobe and shoes and drive to the little country store down the road from my house just to get about 5 newspapers with all the ads, coupons, etc. I always get stuck being the one who my SIL, MIL, mom, and sister ask to pick them up a paper to so that is why I get so many. Its actually alittle funny to see how fast i can get out of the car, get my papers and back in the car before anyone sees me in my pj's but I always catch another women doing the same thing. LOL!!

Once I get back, I cook a breakfast casserole (I only cook this casserole on thanksgiving day). Next, me, the kids and hubby heads over the my inlaws house where we sit around and snack, talk, joke around until Turkey is ready!

Once we are done eating, all of us, including the adults sit down and make our Christmas Lists. Once we have done this, we all sit around the table and go thru all the sales ads. This is honestly my most favorite time of thanksgiving. Its def. a memory that I will always cherish. This year I am going to take pics of us doing this b/c one day these memories will be a thing of the past and I'll have to make new ones with my boys and their wives (their only 2 and 7 so I have a ways to go. :) ) By the time we get home from my parents house, we are tired! I always have a hard time falling asleep especially when I know I'll be getting up in just a matter of a few hours to go shopping! I can hardly wait!!!! BF is my favorite Holiday! (Yes, BF is a holiday in my book). hehehe!

Edited by bigjimslade
added better title

On T'giving I cook so I have dh go grab a paper. Then once my parents get here and we start eating my mom gets out her paper and I get out mine. Then we go through figure out what we want (by then we usually already know thanks to gottadeal :) Decide what time we are leaving, where we are going first, etc. Then they leave and I set out my many layers of clothes and go to bed.

This year will be different because I have to take hubby to work that morning and pick him up in the afternoon so we'll be out even earlier.

Get up around 3, get ready, eat and head to Meijer and Kmart for their thanksgiving day sales which gets me even more amped up for BF lol

Then come back home, help mom with some cooking and look through the paper and go over our list to make sure everything is just right lol

I an organization nut and love making list so I will do this about 20 times between now and BF lol

Then we spend the day eating and being with the family and watching A Christmas Story.

Go to bed as early as possible which is never as early as I want because I am too excited to sleep lol

We get up and head out to my parents house and pick up a paper on the way. My sister and I peruse the ads and she may pick out one or two things she wants me to pick up (she doesn't like shopping on BF?:shock:). We have dinner, pack up and head to the MIL/FIL for the other side. My MIL/and 2 SIL and I work over the ads and form a game plan for who will pick up what at which store. It is truly a refined battle plan.

I'm getting pumped just thinking about it.....gads we need an ad!:razz:

I get up, get the Turkey in the oven, make breakfast and send an unsuspecting innocent family member to the store to get the paper. I say unsuspecting and innocent because I live in the middle of nowhere, and I don't tell them they have will probably have to go to about 3 different gas stations before getting the paper. :angel1:

After we eat, we spread out the paper and gottadeal print outs and make a plan of attack. Then off to the bar to pre-celebrate the BF rush we are about to get into! (maybe this is why I'm so tired the next day :) )

I wake up Around 4;30 5 ish, head to Wawa for coffee and a paper (even though I get one delivered; gotta make sure u have ALL the ads). Head over to K-mart if there's something in their Thanksgiving Day sale that I want, come home cook, watch holiday movies and then my beloved Cowboys. While I am doing all of this I am constantly checking and rechecking the ads and my list; don't want to forget anything...

All during the day me and my bff are texting each other about our plan of action. Last year I went to bed at 8 to be up and out the door @ 10 for Kay-B's midnight opening. If TRU is opening @ midnight this year, I will probably be doing the same but I may try and get there by 9 ish. :)

I am up at 5:00am and run to the 24 hour store and get my papers. Then I come home and look through the ads and hole punch them, put them into my binder behind the ads that I already downloaded from this site. I check my lists, then finish baking etc for T-day. Then we go to my in-laws for lunch, while there we all look at the ads and make lists. Then we go to my parents house and have dinner and make our game plan for BF (my sister, my Dad and I) we decide what time we need to leave and map out what stores we are going to. We check all of our lists and decide who is going to get what at each store. It is sooo much fun and it is a family event.

I wake up Around 4;30 5 ish, head to Wawa for coffee and a paper (even though I get one delivered; gotta make sure u have ALL the ads).

Oh, what I'd give to have Wawa coffee or cappuccino on Thanksgiving morning!!!!

Nowadays I wake up with the DH, get the paper, read over the ads (though I've memorized them already from GottaDeal), then forget about BF until late after dinner has been cleared and dessert has been served.

Then I make a map of the local area and highways, along with a list of stores and their opening times, and any sales that may be timely (ie: JC Penney's doorbusters end at 12 or 1). Make the final list of stores and items in order... Then enjoy a nice evening with the DH, set the alarm for o'dark thirty with clothes laid out... and get ready for some BF!

I get up, let my DS (6) run out in his jammies and crocs to get the paper out of the driveway, separate all the ads from the news, give the news to my DH, start prepping for cooking, reading along the way. We eat after the Lions lose, (my DH is from Michigan, so we have to watch them lose.... Don't know what we will do if they ever win one on Thanksgiving day.) so we normally don't eat until 4:30 or so. After we eat, Sister in law and I start making our plan of attack, where to go first, etc. She usually brings a paper that she drove about 10 miles to get, because the papers on our side of town won't have some of the ads (I HATE Kohls for this!!!!!), and even though we have seen all the ad scans, made lists, lists, lists, and prelim attack plans, we never finalize anything until we have all the ads spread out around us. Then up at 3 AM on BF to start the game!!

After everyone is full to the top of the bellies we clean up have some dessert and onty then are we allowed to open the sale ads! There is a huge house full of the family and friends and everyone has markers so we are able to see exactly what we want.....and the children are allowed to look and circle also!! Then we plan which store we are to hit, who is going to stand in the buying lane so the others spead off and get their wonderful deals and then someone comes and holds the place in line so we use very little time so we can also get to the next shop. We also have special clothes we wear each year, usually it is Christmas pjs and slippers. This year we found a very pretty apron that we will all make and wear black yoga pants and slippers! It is sooooooooooooooooo FUN!!!!!!!!! I have 3 adult daughters and one son and we always try to someohow get everyone there and dressed and ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While the bird cooks, we plan our attack!! We always have atleast 2 papers to make sure we aren't missing any ads. We list all the stores by opening time then we list out what we are getting at each store, that way we are in and out of each store on BF. There is no room for error when it comes to timing to get to the next store just as it opens. This is by far the day I plan for most all year long!!!

On Thanksgiving morning, I usually head over to Meijer and Kmart for their Thanksgiving Day sales! And every year I ask myself, WHY?!

In the afternoon, we head over to my Grandparents house for dinner, and after we eat we get out the Sale papers and start writing out our lists!

My little sisters and I compare and then map out our plan of action, what mall is best, which stores to go to first, etc. My hubby thinks I'm nuts because I have a notebook dedicated to Black Friday!

When we get home, I end up going over everything again, and then head over to the 7-11 to pick up extra papers for the Carsons coupons! Last year I bought 9 papers, I must have looked crazy!

Black Friday has been one of the most looked forward to days of the year for me since I was a kid! I got married on Black Friday almost 11 years ago, and I was up at 5am shopping for deals! I got to shop for 3 hours before I had to get my hair and makeup done, but it was a good stress reliever, lol!

Get up early, grab paper off the front steps, head to friends house, stop and get coffee and more papers, go to Kmart parking lot, sip coffee, look through ads (that we've already see thanks to Brad) and then stand in line to shop at Kmart (which is never ready for the crowd outside).

After done, grab family and go to moms to eat, have fun, and plan for the big day!

I am the one who cooks Thanksgiving and we have a big family so it is always a bit crazy the week of thanksgiving. I start my lists as soon as I get ads but by Thursday I am on the websites and checking the papers while cooking for about 15 people!

I try to go to bed early so I can be out of the house by 10 and at the outlets by 11....but I never seem to get to sleep...Thank goodness there is a starbucks at the outlets :P

This is how I've always done it:

It all starts that morning; I grab a cup of coffee, finish making the usual Thanksgiving dessert (If necessary; I usually have that finished the day before), and look over the first set of ads while the parade is on (Although, I know most of the ads by that point; it's just to begin finalizing my plans). After a Thanksgiving lunch at my grandparents' house, I look over the ads that came in their paper (They get both the local paper and one from the nearest big city), as I finalize my battle plan.

That night, I go to bed earlier than usual and have my alarm clock set to take me up an hour before the first sale; giving me time to have some coffee before I leave for the sales.

I didn't realized that you camped out for 3 days, I just thought you went out there Thanksgiving morning.

NOOOO. I start camping Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning before the store opens.

really...u camp out from tuesday...seems well over what you actually need

Not really. Over the last few years BF has become more popular over the years with people knowing about this site and the media hype the lines form early and early every year. Around Noon on Wednesday there are around 20 people in line where I shop and 100 by 6pm that day.

Thnx for asking this question ; I like reading everyone's answers.

I get up about 8ish. I usually eat dinner @ my Mom's, so I dont have anything to cook, so me & the girls sit & watch the parades on TV. We usually head out of the house around 1 to start our visiting of the relatives. We end up @ Moms about 5 oclock, eat dinner, watch football & have dessert. I usually head to KMart on my way home bcuz the kids stay with mom while I shop BF. Mom will already have the paper, so I double check my typed list that I have from GD to make sure I have everthing. I get to bed no later than 9 so Im already to go. I have everything set up on the table in a brown envelope (cash, VISA, ID, ads, pen & of course my cell phone) so I dont forget anything.

Edited by mommyofanangelb

I wake up Thanksgiving morning, go get a paper and get into line at Kmart. I buy anything there that I'm getting (usually little things like Christmas socks, DVDs, stocking stuffers, etc) and head home. I start cooking while the kids watch Christmas movies with DH. Everyone comes over at about noon and we eat between 1 & 2pm.

Then we'll all sit around and play the Wii or a board game for awhile (nothing beats watching my grandpa playing Wii Sports). Our guests leave around 6 or so. MIL will stay the night so she can watch the kids while DH and I shop. At about 7, I finally get to sit down, look over the ads, and finalize the game plan (DH doesn't really participate- he just does what he's told on BF :) ). Kids go to bed at 8, DH and I go to bed right afterwards, then we'll get up at about 1, leave by 1:30, and drive an hour to get to the stores.

I get up early and go get the papers. While I'm out I'll grab a Gingerbread latte from Starbucks. Go home and sort through the ads. Then I start making a list and plan for the next day. Also I watch for any sales that start online ahead of time so I can avoid certain stores. I'm not big on Thanksgiving Day so it's more like Black Friday Eve for me. This year my parents are visiting so I don't know how it's all going to go. I don't think they'll appreciate me hiding and scanning ads instead of entertaining them. :rolleyes: