Where do you hide gifts? Odd places welcome!

jillandjustin

We have an old cistern in the basement. It was capped off years ago and is very deep. I went down there when we moved in and cleaned it out. I will be using it for a "hidey hole" this year.

When we lived in Texas, I used the storage shed outside. I told the kids that there was a rattler that lived under there and that they should never play near it. They were terrified of that shed! Mean, maybe but it made a great place for hiding even the biggest gifts! :yup:

Guest purpleangel
We have 3 bathrooms in our house but we only use two unless we have house guests. I hide my kids gifts in the bathtub behind the shower curtain in the spare bathroom. Of course I put them in black plastic trashbags just in case DH decides to shower in there one day!

One year my oldest two wanted a xbox 360 and the other an i-pod I didn't want to put then under the tree so I typed up I owe U and put one on an xbox 360 game and the other in an i-pod assoc. I then wrapped both gifts and put then in bags that decorate a tree in the family room, These bags are there every year and it's not the main tree. So when they opened the packages the look on there faces was priceless. I made them go through all of the morning while everyone unwrapped thinking they didn't get anything. Then told them if they could find them they could have them.

Funny thing my son had vaccumed the daybefore around all those bags

Most everything goes in the attic.

I hid several ps3 games last year and it took me several months after Christmas to find them. I think there is still one game missing.

Now dh puts all the Christmas stuff together in the attic. They are together until dh gets up there and starts moving stuff around.

make sure to put packages of socks and underwear in the linen closet - where the presents would normally go :D

I like it!!! :yup:

We have an older home with really tall ceilings. In our bedroom there is a small closet and above it is a huge "cabinet"... not sure but it was basically just to close in from the top of the closet to the ceiling... inside is about 10 feet wide, 4 feet high and 3 feet deep.... even my hubby at 6 feet tall has to use a step ladder to get into this storage spot..... so I just put everything in boxes... (I keep a cheat sheet and number the boxes so I know which one I am looking for if some need arises to get something out early) and stack them up there.... it's huge and holds almost all the gifts for all 5 kids, 2 grandkids, and extended family. On the years we overflow... I make sure we overflow on things for the extended family/friends so that there is no chance the kids can find their things.

I have the you peek it goes back rule at my house. So I don't really have to worry about gifts getting found - I just keep them underneath my bed.

One year my girls found the stuff, and everything went back. I was devestated and heartbroken. Since then, we havent had too many issues.

Drawer underneath the pedestal washing machine and dryer, boxes in garage marked "computer manuals" or "dad's high school yearbooks", trunk of my car (it's very spacious and with the mesh net to keep cargo upright, there is a HUGE space back behind that no one thinks about!!), underneath stored patio furniture/cushions, inside luggage.

Lately my hiding place of choice has been my car's trunk. I am the only one with the key so it works perfectly. This is the extra car that sits in the driveway anyways. One year I got really creative and hid everything inside brown boxes, in the garage along with the other things. It worked like a charm, no one didn't suspect a thing. Another thing that I also do, my DS now 17 can guess what the item is before opening it. So now I wrap the smallest gifts for him in huge boxes and large gifts in even larger boxes. I have been able to throw him off for the past 4 years. Now he doesn't try to guess he just opens the gifts. Because he knows he won't figure it out prior to opening it.;)

In my walkin closet behind all the clothes - although once I hid something so well I did not find it for 2 years later and that was in the garage. Needless to say I don't hide things there anymore.;)

I do the same (walk-in closet)! I need to have them all together or I would loose things or forgot that I bought it and buy it again! ;)

All of our Chirstmas decorations are in red totes. The kids help bring them up and empty them. Once they are empty, I fill them with the gifts. They have never thought to look in them since they are the ones who emptied them!

I do the exact same thing, lol. It works out great, doesn't it? After decorating, we put the empty totes back in the basement on the bottom shelf and when they aren't home, I start hiding gifts in the totes. They never think to look there either. We also hide some gifts in dh's closet.

I put mine in the suitcase in the closet (I've got older kids, it's all video, dvds, etc! lol).

A friend of mine's mom had the best idea. She stored clothes under their bed in storage boxes. She changed them out every winter/spring.

When he was at school in October or so, she'd take out the winter clothes... and leave the boxes empty and put the summer clothes in a bag and in the attic (or donate them).

Danny never knew that she also put the presents in those boxes and his present were right under his bed. ;)

I thought it was smart! lol

I hide mine in the storage shed. I clean out a corner, lay down plastic and sit out storage bins. Then as I shop I just toss them in the bins, when I need to wrap I bring in a bin at a time and wrap it all and put it back in the bin and back out in the shed. Christmas Eve dh just carries all the bins in. Works great, plus the shed padlocks and only I have the key so no one can peek.

Last year dh got real creative, I wanted a new vacuum that picks up dog hair so he got one and had been keeping it in his trunk. 4 days before christmas he hit a deer right by his office so he put the vacuum in the office before the tow truck came. I had to take him to and from work until they fixed his car which was after christmas. On Christmas Eve he asked me to open the trunk so he could bring home a stack of empty boxes to "put trash in". On Christmas morning after we opened presents he brought in that stack of "empty" boxes. He had cut out all the bottoms and slid them down over the vacumm then put the lid on top, I had no idea that there was a vacuum in there!

I put mine in the suitcase in the closet (I've got older kids, it's all video, dvds, etc! lol).

A friend of mine's mom had the best idea. She stored clothes under their bed in storage boxes. She changed them out every winter/spring.

When he was at school in October or so, she'd take out the winter clothes... and leave the boxes empty and put the summer clothes in a bag and in the attic (or donate them).

Inside the suitcases is where I store gifts for my dd's 15 & 12. I do like the idea of the storage boxes. I have some boxes in my closet that are clothes the older one has grown out of that I am saving for the younger one. I bet they would never notice an extra box in the closet if it was labeled like the others.