Share your suggestions for improving BF & win a BF t-shirt - CONTEST OVER!

Brad

All lines on BF should start behind those of us wearing a GottaDeal tee shirt. BTW, I don't have one yet Brad so........ They look really cool this year, great job.

I agree! THen we Gottadealers could set the start time for the lines..... I think he has a point!

I too would like to see layaway back even if it is in a more limited form (like the 3 months before Christmas and over the summer for back to school clothes). Set better limits so that people don't abuse it and use it as a backup plan (I've seen people cancel layaways after several weeks because they decided to get it somewhere else but wanted to be sure that they could get one, so they put it in layaway).

I wish they would have door prizes for coming. Like every 100th customer gets a $5.00 gc to their store. Even while people are waiting in line they could give the first hundred or so a form to fill out and call names randomly for prizes like gc's or even coffee and doughnuts. Would definitely make me want to hang around to see if i won.

1. no tickets for kids. I have seen families try to say that each of 5 kids is getting a laptop, a desktop, camera, pet duck, etc. usually the employees were good about it, and said no. teenage is one thing, 7 year olds is another.

2. no rebates. CC is one of the worst for these.

3. dont list items as "instant rebates". for the items/stores that do price match, the term rebate usually negates the PM. if I pay for it now, pay tax on it, and get money later, thats a rebate. if the price is just lower/on sale, and I dont pay tax on it, then its not a rebate.

4. no bundles to get the deal. no Vonage, AOL, Nutrisystem, anti venom of the month club, etc. to subscribe to in order to get the price.

5. no "bundle only" sales for game systems. bundles can be a good deal, but dont make me buy if it I only want a system.

6. no carts. if the carts are outside, dont let them in with the initial rush. it clogs the ingress something fierce. even worse, people get crazy with them as a battering ram, and others get hurt. if the shopper wants to bring a cart in, then they should wait a few minutes for the first rush to go through. pushing a cart through there is going to slow them down enough that they cant get all the super hot items anyway. gather what you can by hand, secure it, get others to bring a cart later, etc.

if the carts are inside the store, they are right up front, and then totally block the way inside there. maybe corral it off so those without a cart can get on their way and bypass them. if you want a cart, get one, and go another way.

1. Have a MAP of what is where instead of making you guess. And make sure the employees know and don't lie about it. (This presumes the walmart model of not having everything in the front of the store, but scattered all around instead.)

2. If it's a big ticket item and there is an extra warranty available, have the paperwork easily available. Don't make me ask about it, tell me on the display.

3. If your store has an eatery, HAVE IT BE OPEN! The best experience I had last last BF was the Target with a Starbucks. The Starbucks people easily made out by having people go down the line and take orders. Those staffers got tips too! I had just come from the Walmart and their McDs was closed. Would have bought my breakfast there but, their loss.

4. It's already been said - have enough room to move around and enough checkout aisles open. Don't make me stand in a line for 2 hours (cough Kohls cough, choke KBToys choke).

5. Bring back the "spend X, get that cool thing for less" kind of deal (KBToys used to be really good at this).

I would love for the stores to do layaway again. I don't own any credit cards and don't want to so it would be easier for us folks. I would definately spend more. (hint, hint TARGET) Did target ever do layaway? So sad that they took layaway away. I also think that all stores should also do a late-bird special on bf like from 10-midnight. That would be soooo cool then both my husband and I could go together while someone sits with our sleeping kiddos.

Hopefully the stores will look and take some suggestions into consideration!

I Think Kohl’s Needs To Find A Quicker Way To Get People Out The Door. Last Year We Waited In Line For 3 Hours To Check Out... That Is Just Crazy!

I Also Agree That Places NEED To Bring Back Layaway. I Never Used It But Know People Who Did And I Know That It Really Helped Them Out During The Holidays.

And I Also Agree With Pretty Much Everything Everyone Else Has Said. :tongue1:

I also think all the retailers should just send Brad an advance copy of their ads. His site generates a lot of buzz and I think their sales benefit from us having the ads without legal threats or other crap! It's just not Black Friday either, we come here year round, I have growing teen sons, I need good deals on everything from aspirin to Zantac and all the letters in between!

1. no tickets for kids. I have seen families try to say that each of 5 kids is getting a laptop, a desktop, camera, pet duck, etc. usually the employees were good about it, and said no. teenage is one thing, 7 year olds is another.

I've actually seen stores let 6 year olds "purchase" things, the parents hand the kids the $$.

Limit the number of people in at a time.

Make sure the employees know the ad inside out and where items are, who to call if there are questions/problems and can be clearly identified. And for goodness sake, have them well trained - make 'em watch clips of BF events past so they know what they'll be facing!

Clearly designate where lines start (and for that matter what direction they're going ).

No mail-in rebates! They're a (insert favorite phrase or choice words here) to fill out, especially when you need to cut the UPCs off of boxes. Every year I'm stuck doing at least 5 because DH has to have certain things :yuck:

One thing I would love to see: a store that randomly gives someone in line an X minute shopping spree along with their own personal checkout lane. I'd love to have one for my own personal shopping but think it would be even more fun if I was shopping for an adopted family or two :)

I am sure that this has been mentioned, but here goes:

1> Tickets for items are a good thing, that way no one gets injured trying to get a certain item.

2> Make sure the staff knows where the items in the sale ad are, we asked last year several times and was sent to the back of the store, when the item was up front behind the counter and by then the line was too long to stand in because they only had a few items to sale. (STAPLES)

3> Make sure there are 2 people at each register, one to ring it up, one to sack it or whatever else they need to do with it to make the line move faster.

4> Have an afternoon DOOR BUSTER, and make sure the product is saved until then for individuals that had to spend most of the morning in one line.

5> Security to roam the parking lots of known busy places/hot spots, just to make the individuals that have to be out there alone feel a little safer.

Thanks Brad for keeping me going during BF/ GD is GREAT!!!!

I think it would help if the retailers would print the price matching policy for the store on the front cover of their Black Friday ad, and not just leave it up to the managers. This would help to keep things consitent. When an employee or a customer does not know the policy it would be a simple thing to show them the ad instead of waiting for the manager to be called.

I LOVE this idea ALOT!

If it is cold in your area, put out a few heaters, serve some hot apple cider, coffee and hot chocolate, I mean it isn't gonna break ya!

Also, if you know there is only 10 of something and its a hot, hot item, pass out raffle tickets to anyone in line that showed up to get one, at least this way everyone has a chance. This is great for anyone that is not in the front of the line, thus it will cut down on all the crazies, trying to run one another over in order to get there first to get it.

Further more liven up the store a bit by having some sort of random give a ways. For example, announce that the 10th person in line at register 5 is a winner of a what ever it is or perhaps, the first person standing in next to a certain item in the store wearing a certain color gets whatever. This would make people stick around a bit longer and shop, if they know they can win a little something extra and that means more money spent at your store!

As for what to give away, well it could be a roll of wrapping paper, ribbons, a cd of Christmas music, a Christmas movie, etc....

I think the hot drinks is a GREAT idea, especially in states where it is cold on BF. And the Giveaway idea is terrific too. It would make shoppers want to go back to that same store the following BF season.

I think it would be interesting to take the ticket system one step further. Maybe 1 or 2 hours before the store opens, when they go to hand out tickets, have the employees get your items setup at the register. Kind of like a concierge service but with a time limit. SO you stand in line for 20 hours at Best Buy and your second in line. You get the 10 ticket items you wanted so everything is going well. Then a Best buy employee asks if they could help you by gettting all of your items ready at the register. Now all you have to do is go in and pay. Its a win win. Less people in the store and the store is showing those die hard customer that they want to take care of them. Now I said there was a time limit so if you don't go to the register within say 20-30 minutes all your stuff is sold off. No store hopping once you have your tickets!

Here are my thoughts on improving BF:

1st off to all the retailers- Stop hiding your ads and stop threatening to sue if they are leaked early. That is a HUGE part of BF for us shoppers (you know the people that keep you in business!!!) It is important to get our hands on the ad early (more than 4 days!!) so that we can plan our attack on BF!

2nd- There should be an employee or two outside to help handle the people that think they can just cruise on in when your store opens even if they didnt camp out for days beforehand. I was at our Target last year and it was SO nice! They not only had some employees keeping people from getting around the rope but a police officer was also making sure that everything ran smoothly at opening time. This is SO nice to those that do wait out in the cold/rain/snow/etc for days/hours.

3rd- Its BF not hide n go seek. Please do not put kitchen ware with pet supplies or toys in hardware. Keep the stuff where it is supposed to be. Keep it wrapped if you need to but please for the love of everything good put it in the same department it belongs in!

4th- please do away with any rebates less than 50.00. Big ticket items, fine. But seriously who is going to venture out for a tool set thats on "sale for 9.99 after a 10.00 rebate" Not to many....

I agree with those whos suggest that layaway should be brought back. I would not even mind a huge restocking fee if you canceled your layaway.

No rebates would be great too, I usually don't buy items that have them.

Someone suggested having the hand stamped instead of tickets, I like that idea too

I would LOOOVE it if they could bring back layaway. Even if it's just for the hoiday season. It helps out so much! I always put my Christmas on layaway and paid it as I could. It was so much easier.

I also agree that the items should be in the right departments! I hate it when Wal-Mart has toys in sections other than the toy section, and DVD's next to the grocery section. At least try to keep items in the sections the belong in!

I'd like it if I knew what time a line started forming. LOL! Like that's possible but you know, 2am the day before thanksgiving seems INSANE to me. I wish they could say, no it starts at 7pm on T'giving or whatever so these poor people would get their family time and also their deals.

Heaters outside. At least a few spaced down the line.

Party atmosphere as it gets closer to opening time. I'd love to have the loud speakers out with some wake up it's almost time to get in music.

More 10 item or less lines. Really, those that are in for a few things would LOVE to get out quicker and being behind someone with a lot of stuff makes it drag so much! Also ENFORCE the express lanes. Seriously, lady with a bunch of groceries should find another lane.

Heck, Police at all of the big stores. I have seen those pesky line jumpers MOCK the people in line. Oh I know it's been years but I still remember like it was yesterday they were saying, I've been warm and in my own bed and I'm getting in before you. Yes this was before the tickets at best buy, but really some of "those people" do it at Target or other places without the tickets and I just wanted to punch them. Regular employees don't scare them, they know that they can't lay hands on them. We need the police!!

I would LOVE to see a Store Map with the listing of where each item from the flier is!! I can't stand walking around the stores trying to find it or asking an employee where they are when they don't know either!!!

I love the ticket idea. I haven't had to shop at Best Buy, my kids are still some what little and I hit TRU first every year! The Zunes last year were a joke...3 in the store when just hours before there were 8! Where did the other 5 go?