Drink Prices

fluffkin79

I told my kids "no more soda" at restaurants becasue of the $. I only allowed them soda on pizza night or when we go out to eat. So now they have a new drink,... milkshakes. UGH, I'd rather pay for the soda then 3 or 4 bucks for a milkshake!

The price of glass of soda is soooooo sickening to me. The prices are wayyyyyyyy over board and agree with alot the opinion I read about on here.

When I got for lunch I drink water with no lemon since hearing about the bacteria the is found on the rind. I save $2.50+ and the carbs..

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/lemon.asp

That is the link to the snopes report on the lemons. It IS true.

Also the soy milk can cause problems with hormone levels. My son (7) started having problems with the estrogen in it, so we switched to organic milk. WOW that stuff is great tasting too! The fat free taste like regular store brand whole milk! My kids now can skip the extra fat. It is a little more expensive ($3 a half gallon), but it is worth it for the fact of no pesticides,hormones, and antibiotics.

I will just say this, some of you work for business that make a profit correct! some items make more of a profit than others, for Restaurants it is soda! I run multiple restaunts for a living, so keep your complaining, it does no good. just order water you know you do have a choice. Water is still free! So think about what does your company give your customers for free that they consume for free. my guess is nothing. Walmart-nope Caterpillar-nope General Motors- nope I can go on for days.

I love when people complain about prices! You can do the same about gas prices and what good will it do?

You're right! The markup on soda is about the same as on gas! ;) Unreal, unfair, and greedy. :yuck: Yes I will continue to order water, if they do start charging, I won't go! You are right everyone is in it for a profit. :yup: But to make such a huge markup on a drink (that you know every needs) as you can't eat a meal without something to drink is unfair. And yes we will still complain! And those who do not like to be overcharged like they are now for drinks, will not order them. It will come back to haunt restaurant owners when everyone starts catching on.

I'll get off my soapbox now:gd_soapbo . Just my two cents.

highly unlikely!

You're right! The markup on soda is about the same as on gas! ;) Unreal, unfair, and greedy. :yuck: Yes I will continue to order water, if they do start charging, I won't go! You are right everyone is in it for a profit. :yup: But to make such a huge markup on a drink (that you know every needs) as you can't eat a meal without something to drink is unfair. And yes we will still complain! And those who do not like to be overcharged like they are now for drinks, will not order them. It will come back to haunt restaurant owners when everyone starts catching on.

I'll get off my soapbox now:gd_soapbo . Just my two cents.

This is what we do when we go to a Pizza Hut or Mazzios... we order our pizza, then get 2 2lts of what ever soda is agreed upon and get glasses of ice. The 2lts are about 1.89 so.. its a LOT cheaper than 6 drinks at 1.50 or higher. None of the places have seemed to mind yet.

I will just say this, some of you work for business that make a profit correct! some items make more of a profit than others, for Restaurants it is soda! I run multiple restaunts for a living, so keep your complaining, it does no good. just order water you know you do have a choice. Water is still free! So think about what does your company give your customers for free that they consume for free. my guess is nothing. Walmart-nope Caterpillar-nope General Motors- nope I can go on for days.

I love when people complain about prices! You can do the same about gas prices and what good will it do?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Food & beverage is different than hard goods. I have NO idea why you'd try to compare a restaurant that "gives" away water to a hard goods or other manufacturer. BUT, if we're talking about "giving away", GM does give away Onstar on select vehicles for a year. Other vehicle manufacturers give away satellite radio, etc. Wal-Mart has been known to give away extended warranties. Costco does the same thing with their own warranty that they offer on everything they sell. Caterpillar "gives away" free factory authorized trainings and seminars. So does Intel and Microsoft. And Microsoft gives away free trial versions of their software. Body shops give free estimates. Gyms give free trial memberships. Jewelry stores give away free ring cleanings, and sometimes sizings. And on and on. Just because you don't eat or drink it doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Oh, and the biggie - many broadcasters "give away" free programming in the way of RADIO and TV. But people will still complain about the amount of commercials. OH, AND THIS FORUM IS FREE FOR ALL OF US.

Quit acting so magnanimous.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Food & beverage is different than hard goods. I have NO idea why you'd try to compare a restaurant that "gives" away water to a hard goods or other manufacturer. BUT, if we're talking about "giving away", GM does give away Onstar on select vehicles for a year. Other vehicle manufacturers give away satellite radio, etc. Wal-Mart has been known to give away extended warranties. Costco does the same thing with their own warranty that they offer on everything they sell. Caterpillar "gives away" free factory authorized trainings and seminars. So does Intel and Microsoft. And Microsoft gives away free trial versions of their software. Body shops give free estimates. Gyms give free trial memberships. Jewelry stores give away free ring cleanings, and sometimes sizings. And on and on. Just because you don't eat or drink it doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Oh, and the biggie - many broadcasters "give away" free programming in the way of RADIO and TV. But people will still complain about the amount of commercials. OH, AND THIS FORUM IS FREE FOR ALL OF US.

Quit acting so magnanimous.

Well said!

The biggest way to make a restaurant bill outrageous is to order drinks. Coffee costs a restaurant about 50 cents per pot, maybe 60 now with the price increases lately. Usually restaurants try for a food cost of 35% or less (per my experience and my classes on food service cost control). Drinks, esp soda tea and coffee are usually at most a food cost of 10%. You got it, less than 10% of that $1.50 for tea is the cost of the tea. The 10% includes drinks like juice and milk, which have a MUCH higher cost - very close to the 35% the restaurants try for with the other food items.

My kids drink water unless it is a special occasion. I tend to, dh hates to. He insists on tea. That gives us $2 for drinks instead of $10 or more. It adds up.

I will just say this, some of you work for business that make a profit correct! some items make more of a profit than others, for Restaurants it is soda!

LOL! When I was a waitress, our mgr went on and on about the huge markup for eggs. 2 scrambled eggs and a slice of toast could run about as much as a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread.

You just have to look at it as if pretty much every business is in business to make $$ and they do it where they can.

its funny but now when my sister and i go out i bring a can of pepsi with me and a bottle of the starbucks coffee for her. we either share the can of pop-i now stock cups in my car or she will splurge and have her coffee. and we love mcdonalds on monday as you get free coffee! of course we go thru the drive thru and eat in my car but we sure save a lot of money.