Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others) (530 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others)

1. I already have enough of them, so *NO*. (10 votes [1.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

2. I have *NO* plans on buying one. (82 votes [15.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.27%

3. I plan to only buy one for MYSELF. (70 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

4. I plan to only buy one (or more) for OTHERS. (253 votes [47.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.11%

5. I plan to buy one for MYSELF and for OTHERS as a gift. (120 votes [22.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.35%

6. I don't like pictures. (2 votes [0.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 mello  OFFLINE  

mello

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 13, 2007 - 11:44 pm

No plans to buy one, but I'd like one. I will probably get one in a few years if the price on them keeps dropping like it did from last year to this year.

Ditto here.

#62 snooze824  OFFLINE  

snooze824

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 13, 2007 - 11:59 pm

Bestbuy recently had their 7" westinghouse for 79.99. Not a bad deal.

#63 jelee3  OFFLINE  

jelee3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 3:45 am

To tell you the truth, I thought the same thing at first, until someone pointed out that the original price for this product is $130. The highest price for a Nextar 7" everywhere I have searched is $93, and that one had a mp3 player in it. The deal is $69.99 plus a $10 rebate. 1 Nextar frame for 59 is not that great of a deal since Sears has it for $49.99 with NO rebate. I've asked someone that works there for clarification, so we'll see :)

#64 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 15,004 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 3:46 am

Mods--- Is it possible that we could get a sticky for The Official Black Friday Digital Photo Frame Discussion??

You mean to sticky this one? I certainly can, but do you think it's necessary? There aren't that many comments in here, not like the laptop thread for instance.

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on 233 spammers! Hammer.gif

#65 wendytom  OFFLINE  

wendytom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 4:14 am

I had made up my mind to go ahead and put it off for one more year to see if the price would go down any...then I saw the Kohl's ad.....they have a two pack (or at least that is what it says) for 59.00.....now I can have one and give one away....Guess I won't be waiting after all.:P
:P Trendy Wendy

#66 schoolboy  OFFLINE  

schoolboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 6:11 am

I had made up my mind to go ahead and put it off for one more year to see if the price would go down any...then I saw the Kohl's ad.....they have a two pack (or at least that is what it says) for 59.00.....now I can have one and give one away....Guess I won't be waiting after all.:P

I think that is one digital frame with two interchangeable frames. I believe it comes with a black frame and a silver frame, but only one display.

#67 harperjn  OFFLINE  

harperjn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 7:44 am

Anybody have any experience with either of the Radio Shack frames (Optimus 7" or the 11.3") on sale for BF? I'm going to try and stop by there today and see if they have them out. I'm curious as to the picture quality.

#68 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 15,004 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 7:48 am

Anybody have any experience with either of the Radio Shack frames (Optimus 7" or the 11.3") on sale for BF? I'm going to try and stop by there today and see if they have them out. I'm curious as to the picture quality.

Optimus is Radio Shacks "in-house" brand. I'd put more faith in them than some brand I've never heard of...

Be sure to let us know what you think of them.

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on 233 spammers! Hammer.gif

#69 harperjn  OFFLINE  

harperjn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 7:52 am

You mean to sticky this one? I certainly can, but do you think it's necessary? There aren't that many comments in here, not like the laptop thread for instance.

Er, maybe I didn't mean sticky. Perhaps this thread could just be renamed so that everyone knows to post their BF digital frame questions here. There are a couple different threads now, and it would be nice to see all the information in one place and this thread seems to be the most active one. :)

#70 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 15,004 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 9:31 am

Er, maybe I didn't mean sticky. Perhaps this thread could just be renamed so that everyone knows to post their BF digital frame questions here. There are a couple different threads now, and it would be nice to see all the information in one place and this thread seems to be the most active one. :)

Oh, gotcha... I'll do that right now. Posted Image

#71 Netter40  OFFLINE  

Netter40

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 7:23 pm

Does anyone have one of the digital key chain frames? My dd wants one but I don't know a whole lot about them. I think it is neat but if anyone has any info on them please let me know.

#72 harperjn  OFFLINE  

harperjn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2007 - 7:33 am

Does anyone have one of the digital key chain frames? My dd wants one but I don't know a whole lot about them. I think it is neat but if anyone has any info on them please let me know.

I don't have one - so take this with a grain of salt - but I've heard that the batteries die pretty quickly on those. I guess if it's cheap enough, it doesn't matter.

#73 jennirv4967  OFFLINE  

jennirv4967

Proud Momma of Twin Boys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 11:07 am

I've wanted one for over a year now. My husband keeps putting the kabosh on it doubting the picture quality of them. Does anyone know which ones look the best?

#74 arress  OFFLINE  

arress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 11:44 am

Well Meijer online has them but not at 5 dollars.

#75 artie852  OFFLINE  

artie852

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 1:03 pm

i heard there are picture frames that play video. anyone know if the for $100 w/ kodak camera at BB plays video?

#76 petalmom  OFFLINE  

petalmom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 1:36 pm

Bestbuy recently had their 7" westinghouse for 79.99. Not a bad deal.

I have a Westinghouse (model DPF-0701) that I received last year from my daughter. I use it at my office rather than cluttering up my desk with photo frames.

I've paired it with a 1GB jump drive that I continually add pictures to. Absolutely LOVE it!!

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/B000HD0IWK

BTW, I consider the picture quality adequate (and I'm picky). I would argue that the reviwers that said otherwise didn't have a very good picture to begin with.

#77 justinsmommy  OFFLINE  

justinsmommy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 6:08 pm

Has anyone figured out yet if the Kohls two pack of frames is just two faceplates or is it actually two seperate digital frames???

#78 toebaby  OFFLINE  

toebaby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 16, 2007 - 6:17 pm

It has to be one with a digital card reader -- not all of the digital photo frames have that feature, but most newer models will.

Wow, you drive a hard bargain -- they're basically small LCD monitors -- they probably won't hit $30 till next year. The best deal I've found is the 7" at PepBoys for $39.98 after rebate. If you are one of the first 50 people in line at 5 am, you'll get a $10 gift card -- that would make it $29.98 AR. So there you go. ;)

Meijer did $29 yesterday and again on BF, but I don't know about the reviews.

#79 harperjn  OFFLINE  

harperjn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2007 - 9:29 am

I went to Radio shack to check out their frames. They had just gotten them in, so I wasn't able to see the picture quality, but I was able to get some details on the 11.3" frame. It is SmartParts, 800x480 resolution, takes SD, xD, MMC, Compact Flash, and USB, has a remote, and the frame itself didn't feel too cheap or plasticy (it is plastic, though).

#80 Pams1st  OFFLINE  

Pams1st

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 17, 2007 - 4:49 pm

Does anyone have any comments on the CC 8in. in the BF ad for 80. I believe? I will be purchaseing two of those.

#81 senthilnathan  OFFLINE  

senthilnathan

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 17, 2007 - 8:05 pm

Meijer's seems to be the best deal till now...(Ya kohl's is also there...but is that one or two? anyone know for sure?)...Waiting for better deals from CC, Best buy,....

#82 jennie_bebe  OFFLINE  

jennie_bebe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2007 - 9:13 pm

I have an 8" Ality from Sharper Image. It is hands down the best I have seen, but sells for $300. We want to buy 4 frames for gifts this year, but I have not seen anything that looks nice for less than $100. Perhaps Walmart will pull though?

#83 schoolboy  OFFLINE  

schoolboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 18, 2007 - 6:35 am

I went and looked at the 7" at Sears and found one thing that I really didn't like. all the connections for usb and memory card is on the bottom of the frame. This doesn't matter with the card, but there is no way that you could stick a flash drive memory stick in the slot. You probably have 1/2" of room betwen the plug and the table that the frame would be sitting on. Memory sticks are at least 2", so I don't think it will work very well for that. I looked at Kodak and Westinghouse at BB, and they have the connections on the side. This to me works perfectly, but they are more $$$.

#84 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 18, 2007 - 8:00 am

I got the pandigital 7" frame at Kohls last BF. I think it was $80 and they gave you 10% off if you used the Kohls card and $10/50 spent, so it ended up being ~$60. I got three and gave two as gifts. I had compared the frames for features and image quality and found this superior -- the Optimus frame was not as nice and the image did not look as good to me. I liked this frame so much that I bought another for $49.99 at Staples last month. We have it loaded with still images running a slide show. It sits on a piano in the dining room and I cannot pass through the room without stopping for a few seconds. Hundreds of pictures of our kids growing up. I'm going to put a compilation of our home movies on the other. No sound, just the clips. I'm stopping into RS this week to check out the 11.3" frame. If it looks good, I'm in. It's important to use high res images for best results. Digital images from a few years back are not good enough to play on these frames. Images from our 7m camera or scanned from stills look great. My frames run on AC as well as batteries. We use AC. They take lots of media types. We use 1g sd cards. These cards are not for everyone. I see people who think they are a TV -- turn them off except to watch. You really want to run them 7x24 (it costs pennies a year to run these). Good luck!

#85 jelee3  OFFLINE  

jelee3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 18, 2007 - 11:29 am

I asked a Kohl's associate on the store specific thread. She says that the ad says "2 frames" meaning 2 different frames. But she also said that once in the past they did this but meant 2 different face plates for the frame, so they had to put up a sign in the store clarifying. Still a mystery.

#86 Guest_RealLivePrinces_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_RealLivePrinces_*
  • Member since --

Posted Nov 18, 2007 - 7:00 pm

The Kohl's frame is 2 faceplates. The manufacturer states '2 interchangeable frames' on the box. Black and silver.

#87 debnmark  OFFLINE  

debnmark

My 2 spoiled girls

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 18, 2007 - 7:22 pm

Sorry for what may be a silly question to some, but if a frame is say 7", is that the size for the entire frame or just the part that displays the picture?

#88 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,400 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 19, 2007 - 4:19 am

Sorry for what may be a silly question to some, but if a frame is say 7", is that the size for the entire frame or just the part that displays the picture?

it's the diagonal of the part that displays the picture.

#89 debnmark  OFFLINE  

debnmark

My 2 spoiled girls

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2007 - 4:41 am

it's the diagonal of the part that displays the picture.

Thank you for clarifying for me.

#90 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,400 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 19, 2007 - 8:15 am

you're welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users