>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

I did this, but the Tomtom was impossible to get out of the plastic container it came in without destroying it. I have decided to keep the navigon. Do you think staples will be understanding when I return it without the plastic it came in?

Trust me, there was no way to open it and keep the plastic intact.

I almost cut off my finger trying to get it out!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the same issue. I just had to rip it apart. I know it's an expensive product and they need to protect it, but it is such a pain in the butt to open that type of plastic. :eyepoppin

I don't know what Staples will say, but I agree, I had to destroy my packaging. Also, I am completely disappointed with my Tom Tom One, I've used it twice, from my home to work and from my girlfriend's to my house. Both calculations were entirely WRONG and I put in the RIGHT address. I can't believe I stood in line for this worthless piece of electronics.

Is this the Le from BB. I have heard 3 bad things about it so far. Mine wont be here till next week..

I had bought my husband the Tom Tom One 3rd edition for Christmas, but because of our unexpected sudden trip to Canada he got it early. I have to say that I had a lot of fun using this unit. I dropped my husband off at work on Friday and the kids and I just traveled the roads in Canada. We found our way to quaint downtowns and of course had to make a stop at Lake Erie. Without this unit along I'm quite certain that we would have stayed within a small radius of where we dropped him off at so that we wouldn't get lost, but with the Tom Tom in hand I was able to actually do some sightseeing. The POI attribute was really very nice, we didn't need addresses of where we were going, we could look it up by city and name or we could look it up by type of POI we were interested in. I have to say that my husband is very pleased with his little present. I wish that I would have bought 2 so that we could have an extra one in our car permanently and he could take one when he travels. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the research Marcster!

I was able to get the TomTom GO 720 from Radio Shack for $240. Not sure why they were offering it for that much, but I certainly wasn't going to ask any questions.

I originally went for the TT One, but they were out (guy ahead of me got the last one), so I picked up a Mio....overheard the RS salesman trying to sell the Go to a couple who wanted the one...they didn't want it, so I snapped it up right as I was walking to the checkout.

Was at Best Buy today - surprised to see they had a bunch of Tom Tom One's LEs still available in the GPS section at the $119 price.

Anyway - I have both the TT LE and the Navigon 2100 coming. My plan is to keep the navigon unless it is really bad (only had a chance to play with the Navigon 7100 which I liked) and retrun the TT One LE.

Just beware - the TT One LE display at BestBuy was marked that returns on this item had to be made within 14 days of purchase - AND BestBuy is charging a 15% restocking fee if opened

Radioshack had the 5100 at select stores for $149. I purchased and plan on using the $50 rebate.

I bought the Navigon 5100 @ Staples for $249.99...it was listed at 499.99.

I printed off the Best Buy Navigon 5100 price and Staples had to price match it.

The Navigon 5100 also has a $50 rebate.

Hehe I opened it and used it.

It was quick to lock on to a satellite, the 3D view is nice, the Reality View/Lane assistant was very nice. Having it say the street names was nice (it says 'please'). It gave the side of the street the destination is on. I have not used the Traffic Serfice or the Zagat Survey yet.

The BIG problem with the NAVIGON is the speaker.....it is not loud at all and the sound is muffled.

Hopefully I can get used to it

I don't know what Staples will say, but I agree, I had to destroy my packaging. Also, I am completely disappointed with my Tom Tom One, I've used it twice, from my home to work and from my girlfriend's to my house. Both calculations were entirely WRONG and I put in the RIGHT address. I can't believe I stood in line for this worthless piece of electronics.

You could try seeing if there is a map update at www.tomtom.com. Maybe the maps are screwy for your part of the country? :cheesy:

Radioshack had the 5100 at select stores for $149. I purchased and plan on using the $50 rebate.

Wow great price for the 5100, Radioshack in MA had advertised the 2100 for $149 - the stores I went to had none cause the units were defective as someone wrote on this site.

Anyone get the Navigon 2100 and thinking of returning it please PM me as I was unable to get on at our staples (they had like 5) and even though I was #8 in line, they did not tell people where to find them. Only the store manager knew, and people like #50 to #60 found out they were behind the desk near checkout so they got them. I was pissed that they gave out tickets for TTO, but not the navigon's.

Marcster--you are AWESOME for doing all of this research (I thought I was the only super-anal one who researches the crap out of everything before buying something)!!!

I bought the Garmin at WM (I feel loyal--my husband works there--plus we get 10% off!!!). I was still torn as to whether or not I should get it BF morning (yes, I was here online too). I read at another site (either WM.com or Amazon.com) that if your GPS is shipped BEFORE the most recent map update, if you CALL customer service, you will get a FREE upgrade to the most recent map. Any map updates after that will cost you.

I haven't taken it out of the package yet, only because all of our bags from BF shopping were hidden from the kids! I can't wait to take it out in the next day or so and play iwth it!

Everyone enjoy theirs! Happy travels! :D

I bought the Navigon 2100 with lifetime traffic online at BB for $149(only last a couple hours at this price) I have not received it yet but im debating whether or not to get another one now. Ive read that its not updatable via the PC, so your pretty much stuck with what you get. I think i would rather have something where there are more POI rather than text to speech and traffic updates.

Are there any other deals right now for under $200?

I bought the Navigon 2100 with lifetime traffic online at BB for $149(only last a couple hours at this price) I have not received it yet but im debating whether or not to get another one now. Ive read that its not updatable via the PC, so your pretty much stuck with what you get. I think i would rather have something where there are more POI rather than text to speech and traffic updates.

Are there any other deals right now for under $200?

You will be able to update the maps for the Navigon at an additional cost. From my conversation with the Navigon tech guy, they bundle the POIs with the maps -- based on that, there is a chance that when you upgrade the maps you will get additional POIs.

You can add POI lists to virtually every TomTom, Garmin, Magellan, and Mio. The Navigon does not have that capability at present.

You should be able to easily add in many lists of additional POIs through sites like www.poi-factory.com, www.gpspassion.com (http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474), etc. (just Google for "POI List").

I called Navigon last week while I was trying to decide which one to hunt for on BF and the tech guy I talked to said map updates were free for life for the 2100. He did say that if they decided to offer additional maps other than the 48 states it comes with that these would be at a fee. He said they had had a lot of requests for Canadian maps for the 2100 and he felt they were probably going to offer it but wouldn't gaurantee it.

Not sure if folks are still checking this thread, but wondered what the thoughts were about this Walmart Cyber Monday deal --

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8031636

TomTom One 3rd Edition GPS Navigation System w/ Bonus Home Charger & Leather Case ($65 value) for $198.86

The TomTom One GPS Satellite Navigation System comes with the latest and most complete maps of the US and Canada. You can get accurate door-to-door navigation anywhere across the continent, and update your system with new maps and free software upgrades through TomTom Home. Plus, TomTom Map Share technology helps you add to, update and personalize your maps instantly — and also download others users' changes daily. Includes durable leather case.

Key Features & Benefits:

3.5" full color TFT LCD touch-screen at 320x240 pixels and 64,000 colors

Provides navigation information at a glance, even in difficult light conditions

Accurate positioning with easy access to traffic information

This feature helps you calculate smarter routes

Clear spoken directions

Delivers audible instructions through the internal speaker, such as "Turn right in 500 feet."

1 GB internal memory

"Also includes an internal Lithium-Ion battery for 2 hours of operation "

Quick route recalculation

Get to your destination quickly and without hassle

Includes leather case

Get durable leather protection for your GPS unit

Additional Features:

Plug and go

Quick and easy start-up

"Help me!" menu

RDS-TMC connector

Weight: 6.1 ounces

Dimensions: 3.8"x 3.2" x 1.0"

Operating temperature: 14F to + 131F

Includes: Lightweight windshield holder (compact and easy to mount), USB car charger and USB cable for in-car charging

Not sure if folks are still checking this thread, but wondered what the thoughts were about this Walmart Cyber Monday deal --

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8031636

Circuit City has the TomTom One 3rd edition for $149 -- but no carrying case or home charger. You can buy a home charger if you'll really need it, but most folks are fine with the cigarette lighter car adapter.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TomTom-ONE-3rd-Edition-GPS-Navigation-TOMTOMONE/sem/rpsm/oid/191752/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

okay, so 5:30 at radioshack will get me the mio 320 and is mio 320 worth buying?

I picked up the Mio C320 on BF, and it was certainly worth the price and then some! For the low price of $149, I got a GPS with a 4.3in screen, and MP3 capability. Thanks to a few "hacks" I found on www.gpspassion.com, I also now have Text-to-speech, a Windows CE interface, a video player, calculator and document reader.:eyepoppin I had so much fun modifying my unit. Now i'm on the lookout for new "skins" for my maps.

Has anyone got there ttle yet? iam not sure to open. i have heard alot of bad things from this unit?

The one I had sent to my mom's house arrived there today...with a big neon piece of paper taped to the box that says TOMTOM ONE LE GPS. So much for keeping what is in the box a secret. :(

You say you've heard alot of bad things about this unit. Could you please let us know what they are?

One thing is the esimated time of arrival. On the TomTom Forum it states that the GPS accounts for stops in travel time so it thinks everyone likes to stop every so often.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. We would be happy to answer your questions on estimated arrival time.

The arrival times on the TomTom range of products use a complex and conservate calculation to determine arrival time. In an attempt to provide accurate and realistic arrival times the unit adds stops for gas, food, and just rest periods for longer trips. While some drivers prefer to drive a long trip straight through from point A to point B, which means they arrive sooner than the unit predicted this arrival time method has proven to be accurate for the majority of our customers. We hope that this answers your questions.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

I have used my TTLE for the last 3 days driving 800+ miles and am amazed by it. As for the destination time it was about 30 minutes off for about a 200 mile drive but I also was going 5 to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit which would make it about right. It also corrects the time while you are driving so you know about the time of arrival. I purposely went off course a couple of times and after a mile or so it would correct the directions for the route I was going (if I was taking an alternate route to the same location).

I am very pleased

What about the Nextar units? Got mine at Carsons BF for $149

Based on lukewarm reviews like this, I'd avoid it.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/01/ces_2007_coverage_gps_du_jour_-_nextars_q3_and_p7.php

Even the people giving the Q3 four and five stars on Amazon have some legitimate complaints and note the poor design of the unit:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000GC2DDE/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I am assuming that the Q3 is the model you purchased, but you didn't state it for certain.

I would consider Nextar to be a second tier GPS company. Maybe even third tier.