So far... the deals suck...

tmc

I have a feeling we are going to see better deals as the time gets closer to Christmas than the BF deals :yup: Last year, I had so many places I wanted to be at, I could not make up my mind. This year, there aren't too many. I am not out for that many "door buster" sales. I am still going but I haven't seen anything that I have to wait hours for.. or I should say, I haven't seen anything worth my while to wait hours for.

I've been complaining to my wife that this year's sales are stinkers, but she's claims it's only because I have everything I want. It seems that this year's must-have items are the GPS, but I have yet to come across anything else that is a great bargain and worth standing in line for.

I was looking for a small point-and-shoot digital camera and considered buying the Sony camera for $99 at OfficeMax. Then, I saw the FujiFilm camera at CC for $130, but I don't like going to CC during BF. It takes forever to check out at CC. I browsed the FujiFilm camera on Amazon to read its reviews and saw that it was priced at $137, including tax and free shipping. Needless to say, I think I have bought my only BF item this year without having to stand in line for hours. Okay, who am I kidding, lately I've been having trouble sleeping so I'll probably go somewhere, but won't stand in line for hours as previous years. I'll probably walk up at 5:00 am to Sears, Target, Walmart, or BB.

I think the biggest complaint about the BF "deals" are mainly in TV prices. There are no jaw-dropping deals like we saw last year. If there were a $300 32" LCD HDTV that would bring people out. I also would be pleased with a "brand" name 32" to be around the $400 range. If there were a 42" for $500-600 that also would get people out in droves.

Maybe this just isn't the year. Last year before BF, HDTVs were not selling as expected. That led to some insane BF deals. Typically, after a year of technology improving, last year's TVs should be significantly cheaper. Of course as we all know, they are not. K-Mart is selling pretty much the same Olevia 32 " HDTV (for their thanksgiving sale) at $420 that was sub $400 at Microcenter or around ~$450 at other places last year. This year's cheapest HDTV that is 32+" is Circuit City's Element 32 " that is $400, and if you look at the feedback on this TV at their website you will see that it is HORRIBLE even at that price; it is much worse than the Olevia they were selling last year for $475!

I'm not really sure what is responsible, but HDTV prices are just generally out of whack across the board. It's like they can't figure out what the market will "bear" for HDTV prcies. And the truth is that HDTVs are still massively over-priced for the established brands. You could have a 32" HDTV for $480-850 right now depending on brand-- which is a huge differential for the same product, and that's not even a sale price. Is it worth it to pay twice as much for a Sony / Toshiba than a Vizio or Element? I don't know... But I really wish the industry would get their crap together. It's so freaking unstable right now, and as a result, there are a TON of disappointed people right now at this big dud of a Black Friday.

I think, overall, the retailers are trying to discount the least amount of money on their TVs and still bring out the crowds. I HOPE someone is reading the message boards around sites like this and will see that it's going to backfire on them BIG TIME.

I am holding out for some great last minute HDTV to go on sale like everyone else, but I'm not holding my breath.

When all the retailers see the numbers for this year's BF and see that the numbers are way down from last year, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

You're right. A 32" or 37" would have me standing in line and I haven't seen the quality/price combo that would justify it yet and I have to keep saying it = I miss my BBB bucks and BF is not the same without them. I will be out by 4 wandering around just for the heck of it. Kohl's is openining at 4 - maybe they'll have something I want. The only other thing I've seen are the TV DVDs at Target. I'll take a second look tonight though.

Walmart and Toys R Us are total disappointments. I have found no great deals on scooters or the clickstart my first computer (anyone know of any please let me know). I am excited to get the digital arts and craft studio at Target for $35 as well as the electronic Monopoly game for $20. Thats where I'll be as everything else is pretty much avg. sale prices. I remember when my son was like 2-4 I could go out on black friday and save $300+ on his Christmas gifts. Where have those deals gone?

Now I can say it's OFFICIAL, due to the value of our precious American currency it doesn't buy diddly squat in Chinese goods anymore, even on BLACK FRIDAY. I've also been saying for a few days now, that many of these deals you DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOR DOORBUSTERS and stand in line for. Many can be gotten ONLINE, for the SAME PRICE OR CHEAPER (NO TAX AND FREE SHIPPING).. there are of course exceptions.. many of those under the $200 price tag. So, go if you MUST have something, but its not what your expecting.. from years past. Time to scrooge the retailers and BOYCOTT for a while and wait for the CLOSING LOCAL RETAIL DOOR FIRESALES. There is NO price war amongst the BF ads.. just because there is very little WIGGLE ROOM in the wholesale pricing markets these days particularly for USA.

** Exceptions can be made for LEAD contaminated products.

Wow - I have to say - at the risk of sounding redundant - I am totally unimpressed also. It makes me sad actually because I actually enjoy this ritual and used to save a lot of money at it too! This will be the first year since 2000 for me that I dont think I am going to go - and if at all, certainly not early! I even made sure I wasnt working that day and now Im let down! :)

I have to agree that the deals do truly blow this year. The only thing that I will be buying this year is the Microsoft Zune 30gb from Toys-R-Us but I am gonna price match that @ Wally World (Wa-Mart). The only reason I am gonna go out is cuz its a tradition for my sisters and I and we get away from the kiddies for a bit :yup:

Another one in agreement that the ads are less then stellar this year. After checking all the others I was hoping Walmarts would yield the few items I would be willing to go out after. But nope...

Is it just me or is it almost as if they just photo copied last years ad?

The only things I have found of interst are the video games that are going to be on sale at Toys R Us... and only because we are moving from California to North Carolina next summer and figured these would be great for the kids. DS games for $9.99 but that isn't even an outstanding price.

I am very disappointed in the sales... the same DVD's are on sale this year that were last year, the same clothes, the same stuff.

Heck, even the cheap laptops are the same price as last year. Yes, you're getting more for your money. But not THAT much more.

I gotta say, I need another laptop, and there are a ton of electronic peripherals I need, plus camera accessories, plus a LOT of kids' toys. But there isn't a darn thing in the ads that will make me stay up all night. I see an external hard drive that's a good price at BB and at Target, but I bet if I wait until the afternoon, it'll still be available.

I'm not sure if I'll even mess with going out way early, now. I'll probably hit Joanns just for nostalgia's sake, but that's it. DH will want to go to Meijer on Thursday to pick up Pepsi, but that's not really holiday shopping (well, to him it is!). I just am finding that I can't get excited about any of the ads, nobody's really wowed me yet. I was hoping for a good deal on a small tv for my kitchen, but the one I'm interested in at Meijer is $50 MORE than the exact same thing they had last year, so I think I'll hold off until after the first of the year maybe.

I doubt if I sleep in, but I equally doubt that I'll spend more than $25 all day Friday.

I agree the deals are not up to par this year. That is fine since my xmas budget this is year is much smaller. The only gift I may go out for is the gold DS lite but I'm pretty sure it'll be online.

Good luck to all who do brave the biggest lackluster shopping day but for me it is time to save.....Unless the deals suddenly get better. :)

so 30 minutes until wednesday and we still dont have fry's black friday ad.... I see it took till the last minute last year too.

ill just assume its not very good.

Apparently the ads for EBGames, Sports Authority, etc...that were out last year suck as well since it is now well into Wednesday and the ads are still not posted. Guess I'll just have to wait to see tomorrow's paper while I'm standing in line at Kmart for a Wii.

I agree that the deals are not as great this year, but that is to be expected given the economy right now. Retailers are experiencing lower sales than expected and they can't really afford the door busters that we have seen in past years. There are thousands of people who are in financial distress, whether they are struggling to pay a mortgage or have been recently laid off. I don't expect spending to be what it was in previous years either. Its tough out there

Yes, I've been watching this thread, scrubbed all bookmarked stores, and after seeing this morning's lack of net deals posted at the last minute, all I can assume is the 60-80 folks that plan these deals at each company/chain are seriously out-of-touch.

Kudos to Sears, and Sears ONLY. VERY aggressive, and VERY happy with them the past 4 weeks.

Now I can say it's OFFICIAL, due to the value of our precious American currency it doesn't buy diddly squat in Chinese goods anymore, even on BLACK FRIDAY.

Sigh :(. Here we go again... I said this in another thread but it's worth repeating since we seem to have so many armchair economist around here:

The dollar has been sliding for four years straight now so your implication of no deals due to the dollar simply isn't true. Moreover the electronics purchased for Black Friday this year were under contract by the stores and manufacturers many, many months ago. Do you really think Best Buy would wait until early October to work out a price with Toshiba, Sony, etc. to buy 10,000 laptops? That contract would have been ironed out, and paid for, long before the subprime fiasco ravaged Wall Street this past August. That's when the dollar really started to rack up the losses in case you don't know (about 5% versus the Euro so far)...

Not to be too negative, but I see a recession already starting.

Sure things are slowing down, but we've still got a ways to go before we see two quarters of retraction. With every passing day though it seems the odds of that happening are increasing. Still, never underestimate the American consumer. Spending too much money has become part of the American culture and since roughly 2/3 of our economy is dependant on spending we just don't know how the chips will fall yet.

I've also been saying for a few days now, that many of these deals you DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOR DOORBUSTERS and stand in line for.

This is certainly the case. Some of the deals I've seen on Buy.com and from other retailers during the last 6 months have been phenomenal. Simply checking the boards here and a few other places every Sunday will save you a lot of money throughout the year. Sure the TRU and Walmart ads may be a bit of a let down, but with $229 laptop combos at Best Buy I'll never understand how people claim there aren't any deals worth getting up for.

-Timothy

Ya know every year they get earlier and earlier to open up (next year it will be 4am) and every year the ads get worse and worse. Makes me wonder why we get up for this...

I guess the stores already made money so what do they care about BF...personally the Internet is to blame for all this because the sales there are year-round.

I see some good deals but a lot of the deals especially when it comes to electronics is old models. My thinking is 9/10 you usually get what you pay. If you get a laptop for $300 it's usually a piece of garbage with outdated stuff. Though I see some really good laptop deals around the $550-600 mark.

all the ads are horrible and I'm not even excited, anyone feel the same? I could almost care less if I went out tomorrow and I never thought I'd hear myself say that

I can agree, but I guess it's "less" disappointing as this would have been my first BF ever. My friend hyped it up for me...but there wasn't really anything that I jaw dropped for to get out there and give it a go.

all the ads are horrible and I'm not even excited, anyone feel the same? I could almost care less if I went out tomorrow and I never thought I'd hear myself say that

I agree.. There’s a few things I'd like to grab but if I don’t get those items, it won’t bother me.

Guest caminitorinaldo

my husband is already coming down on me about buying too many gifts for the kids.

and since there isn't anything i have to have, i am actually going to skip BF (first time in 6 years).

amazon had a TON of great toy sales last year as Christmas grew closer, and i am banking on that for any more last minute gifts~

i will still go out tomorrow, just not get up early :yawn: