>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Hello,

i'm very new to posting but I read the forums all the time, I went ahead and bit the bullet and puchased my laptop yesterday, Bestbuy had a dirt cheap display model of the Sony vaio vgncr120e. It was valued at almost 1,300 brand new and they marked it down to 809.00 because it had a tiny scratch on it. So you might want to check out bestbuy and see if they have any clearance items.

Wouldn't call it 'dirt cheap', but it's certainly a bargain. The BB stores themselves usually have clearances on display models or out-of-box items, so it's always a goood idea just to stop in and hope 'ya get lucky.

Great tip, and welcome to the community! :D

Just a cheap laptop heads-up, people ...

CC is notorious for rebates. If you're considering the compaq laptop for $299.99 (model #C717NR) don't forget it's got $150 in mail-in rebates. It's $449.99 out the door. If it's an instant bargain you're lookin for, maybe consider the BB Sony (#VGN-NR110E/S with the smaller 120GB hard drive, not the 120E/S with 160GB) for $399.99.

FYI: The model #VGN-NR120E/S on BB online with the bigger hard drive is used for the upgraded one along with the other hardware and software goodies for $499.99.

So, whaddaya think so far about the so-called BF 2007 'cheap' laptops? I think alot of folks are takin' advantage of other offers and non-BF sales and gtting better laptop bargains early this year. I know that about $400 is still a good deal for the laptops they're all offering, but personally I was hoping for some dirt-cheap, older outta-style laptop for much less than that without major rebates. And what happened with all those <$200-300 rumors? There's still a glimmer of hope as we're waiting for a few more ads, but we'll see.

Discuss. :yup:

I am looking at both the Sony Laptop at Best Buy (I think I am getting the upgraded one $499.99) or the compaq at CC or maybe wait and see if there is a better deal to be found during the year...what do you computer savvy people think??

Just a cheap laptop heads-up, people ...

CC is notorious for rebates. If you're considering the compaq laptop for $299.99 (model #C717NR) don't forget it's got $150 in mail-in rebates. It's $449.99 out the door. If it's an instant bargain you're lookin for, maybe consider the BB Sony (#VGN-NR110E/S with the smaller 120GB hard drive, not the 120E/S with 160GB) for $399.99.

FYI: The model #VGN-NR120E/S on BB online with the bigger hard drive is used for the upgraded one along with the other hardware and software goodies for $499.99.

Ok so the best deal is the BB #VGN-NR120E/S with the extras??? If I am reading this right or just wait and see what else comes out or maybe something else not on BF? I am wanting to get enough memory with this laptop the one I got last year doesn't have enough for all my stuff...but that one is going to DS9 so no worries on memory for that but I need to get one that is going to have enough or find a deal on more memory....help I don't know what I am doing!!

Hey Everyone! The last three years I have been first in line at my local BB and this year I am not so enthused with the deals, def. with the laptops. Last year I purchased the Gateway AMD Turion 64x2 laptop for 699.99. I just recently sold it in hopes of getting a new one at a great price. I was looking at the Toshiba for 799.99 and I just don't feel so impressed with it. It only has 40GB more hd space and a HD DVD player (which frankly I don't really know if i would care to have a HD Player) for 100.00 more then last year. Does anyone feel the same as me or would you say that this laptop is a good deal?? Does anyone see any other higher end laptops that are a better deal then this one?? Thanks-

Ryan

"Black Friday....The Chuck Norris of Thanksgiving"

I'm visiting my parents for thanksgiving and will be doing some christmas shopping afterwards. Appleton, WI is much smaller than Chicago but they have some of the same stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, and Walmart. Is anyone from that area? If I wanted to get a laptop for my parents for christmas, should I be expecting the same type of long lines as in Chicago where my chances of a laptop are slim and none? What should my expectations be?

Thanks in advance,

You can expect lines but not like in Chicago. I live in Upper Michigan, so we go to Green Bay/Appleton to do shopping. The one thing to check is where the stores are. Oshkosh has a very nice outlet mall. Hope this is helpful.

:)

I finally found an add with things in at that I want but it is CC. What are the chances of getting one of the $299 laptops there? I live in OK City and I have kids under 11 at home so camping out all night is out. Any suggestions? I could spend a ton of cash at CC this yer but the way the deals are set up it will be hard to buy somewhere else and price match.

KAthy

Since the BB ad has just been posted. What is the best laptop they have on sale for BF is good/decent for gaming?

The Toshiba for 799.99 is probably the best for gaming of the BB Black Friday laptops, mostly because of the core2duo processor and 2gb ram. Its got a 17" screen so that means the battery life wont be great. It wont play Crysis or anything like that, but it will run most games.

Is the $399 Sony at BB a good deal (I need a lap to surf the net, type up documents, burn cds, and upload pics). Is it worth camping out for?

I would say yes, it will easily surf the net, type docs, burn cds, and upload pictures. Only thing is you could probably get a laptop that will do that for around the same price as a non BF sale. The Sony is good brand and it has decent specs, it can do more than what you need, even some mid range gaming if you like that kind of thing.

Alright I see some people talking about the sony $399 lappy from BB on BF. Well I showed this to my sister-in-law and she really wants one. I know it'll handle everything she wants to (i.e. net surfing, photos (downloading them from her camera, editing them, and sharing them), music, word processing, etc.),

anyways my question is, she has children and occasionally likes to use her camera to take some videos of her kids. Could this lappy handle video editing (I know for a fact she would only do basic cropping, she would get fancy and want anything really professional.) ?

Alright I see some people talking about the sony $399 lappy from BB on BF. Well I showed this to my sister-in-law and she really wants one. I know it'll handle everything she wants to (i.e. net surfing, photos (downloading them from her camera, editing them, and sharing them), music, word processing, etc.),

anyways my question is, she has children and occasionally likes to use her camera to take some videos of her kids. Could this lappy handle video editing (I know for a fact she would only do basic cropping, she would get fancy and want anything really professional.) ?

I believe if you going to do basic movie editing this will work fine, I have 3 suggestions though:

1. Movies files are generally big, meaning you might want to look into getting the 160gb hard drive.

2. Theres only 1GB of ram that comes with it, the more RAM you the smoother video editing will go, I would recommend upgrading to 2gb of memory(You may not need 2Gb but it depends completely on what you are doing with the video/what type of video it is/how long the video is.

3. The laptop doesn't come with video editing software so unless you want to use the Windows Vista movie maker you'll have to buy some too, just make sure it works with Vista before you buy it.

I believe if you going to do basic movie editing this will work fine, I have 3 suggestions though:

1. Movies files are generally big, meaning you might want to look into getting the 160gb hard drive.

2. Theres only 1GB of ram that comes with it, the more RAM you the smoother video editing will go, I would recommend upgrading to 2gb of memory(You may not need 2Gb but it depends completely on what you are doing with the video/what type of video it is/how long the video is.

3. The laptop doesn't come with video editing software so unless you want to use the Windows Vista movie maker you'll have to buy some too, just make sure it works with Vista before you buy it.

Thank you for your input, but I should say I told my sister-in-law for the extra $100 she can get the bigger hard drive plus that all-in-one printer, and I looked into and that print looks really good (not the best, but great for her). Also I told her it would be smart to go with 2GBs, and she agrees but she's uncertain at this time if she wants to upgrade, and I told her that's fine that she can upgrade when ever she wants to. Lastly I'll have to talk to her again then, but I think the built in windows movie maker is all she really need or would use.

But again thank you for your input. I believe my sister-in-law and my brother too will both be pleased by this laptop.

One small question before I go, is it the laptop or the printer that needs a usb bluetooth adapter in order to do the wireless printing feature offered by the printer (It's not that big of deal, I'm just curious)?

I would also like opinions on the 499$ BB model- would it be okay for light gaming (i.e. a game of Madden here and there)?

I'm not sure the specs on Madden, but i'd assume it migt run slow, really the only difference between the $399 and the $499 is the hard drive space. Only thing that could make your gaming experience better is to upgrade the RAM in the computer from 1GB to 1.5 or 2GB. But madden should run with the 1GB. Only thing is your battery life will go down quickly if your gaming.

Thank you for your input, but I should say I told my sister-in-law for the extra $100 she can get the bigger hard drive plus that all-in-one printer, and I looked into and that print looks really good (not the best, but great for her). Also I told her it would be smart to go with 2GBs, and she agrees but she's uncertain at this time if she wants to upgrade, and I told her that's fine that she can upgrade when ever she wants to. Lastly I'll have to talk to her again then, but I think the built in windows movie maker is all she really need or would use.

But again thank you for your input. I believe my sister-in-law and my brother too will both be pleased by this laptop.

One small question before I go, is it the laptop or the printer that needs a usb bluetooth adapter in order to do the wireless printing feature offered by the printer (It's not that big of deal, I'm just curious)?

The adapter would be for the printer(I think) but does the sony laptop have bluetooth? If it doesn't you'd need an adapter for both.

Guest mack222

I would also like opinions on the 499$ BB model- would it be okay for light gaming (i.e. a game of Madden here and there)?

I would go with doubtful. I can't see from the ad but I'm assuming it doesn't have a dedicated video card, this means the processor has to do all the work and would lead to low frame rates for all but the simplest games. I would call the store once it gets closer to black friday and they should be able to give you the full specs.

The HP for $549 might have a dedicated graphics card. I would go with that if you can find out the info.

Yes, it was the one from Best Buy. We also bought the $189 e-machines for the sister in law. We did camp out early but we got everything we wanted. This year we are going to actually buy stuff for ourselves.

Got the same two purchases myself. Desktop for my neighbor and laptop for my Mom. Both have worked very well for what they use them for. What time did you set up camp? I arrived at my local BB at 6 PM for the 5 AM opening. I was 20th in line. By 9 PM there were at least 100 in line and by opening maybe 1000. We have a small local store. I am considering between 1 and 3 PM this year. The $199 desktop will be a perfect gift for a long time friend and his 11 year old boy.

dad2trips

Can somebody tell me if the Toshiba's A215-s7422 at OD comes with a built-in Wireless?

What do you think about this Laptop? Is this one better than the Acer 14.1" Aspire 4520-5803??

I hope somebody can help me with this :)

Honestly, these days is a very rare laptop that DOESN'T come with built-in wireless. I really cannot think of a single laptop that I've seen without wireless built-in in the last couple of years. Even that $250 Toshiba Best Buy had last year had wireless built-in. If that one had it at that price, you can be pretty assured that all the laptops listed this year include it.

ive never purchased a laptop, always just used desktop, so i have a question..

how does the ram upgrading work? is it just one slot? on the website it says the max it can use is 2 gb. So if i buy a 2gb stick thats on sale for 55 dollars at best buy, is the 1gb of ram it comes with just removed and useless to me? or multiple so i can just buy a 1 gb and add it in?

for the vaio that is.