Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

This was on our local news this morning, talking about empty shelves and shortages this holiday season. They said the same thing, start your shopping early and if you see a must have item on your list get it then and don't wait for a sale since it may sellout before you an get it. 

Another thing I saw pointed out on the news was "Holiday Foods", they are looking for shortages on anything from turkeys to canned pumpkin, and possible flour, sugar, and baking necessities. If you are in a position to get your items now (or soon) I would highly suggest it. You don't want to have a frozen pizza for Thanksgiving or Christmas. :yuck:

• Like 3

Another thing I saw pointed out on the news was "Holiday Foods", they are looking for shortages on anything from turkeys to canned pumpkin, and possible flour, sugar, and baking necessities. If you are in a position to get your items now (or soon) I would highly suggest it. You don't want to have a frozen pizza for Thanksgiving or Christmas. :yuck:

I had not paid must attention to that side of it. Well I guess I will be going to the grocery store sooner than I thought for my necessities. 

• Like 1

I hadn’t even thought about that being an issue. Here I was not too concerned about toy shortages as I will only have 1 kid gift to shop for and then BAM, you took away my sense of security. I’ll have to pick up the canned pumpkin, vanilla extract and other non-perishable items now while I’m sure they are available. I’ll start thinking about the turkey early November to avoid issues on the other items (I have a small freezer so will have to make room and plan my meals around losing the freezer space to the turkey).
  • Like 1

Or eat something else.  If they are going to charge the same for turkey as rib roast, have yourself a prime rib Christmas!

• Like 3

Or eat something else. If they are going to charge the same for turkey as rib roast, have yourself a prime rib Christmas!

Completely agree. Walked into the wholesale club yesterday and was looking at brisket to smoke was almost $8 a pound. I usually pay around $3 a pound. I laughed and walked away. I don’t need anything enough to be willing to pay over twice the price.

• Like 3

I have already been buying anticipating having trouble finding what I want or getting it in time. I won't overpay for it though. Already buying my candy making supplies for Christmas and making sure I have pumpkin and the like. I always shop early anyway but making sure all is covered this year. I will shop the sales for anything I want to add extra or get for a birthday present.

• Like 2

I went and got my dry goods and baking supplies this past weekend. Now I will be searching for the meats and sides closer to thanksgiving. We have local farms in my area where I can prepay for greens, sweet potato's, corn, etc. I have never really used there service but have shopped at their stands so I hoping this can guarantee me the items I need but not sure it it will be "what I want". 

• Like 1

Already started! 

• Like 1

I have noticed that more and more items are limit 2 or limit 4 in our grocery stores. I’m not talking just TP and PT. I mean peanut butter and canned beans. So, it is a good idea to not only keep an eye out for holiday presents. But also, things on your baking list so even if there isn’t many presents there are plenty of homemade treats :)
  • Like 5

My dad is an OTR truck driver.  Word is that there is an upcoming trucker strike.  Take it however you want but we are stocking up on nonperishables to make sure we can get things, stocking the freezer and shopping for the holidays sooner rather than later.  

I have heard rumors of this - but now it is hitting close to home when one of us has a family member in that business. Thank you for the heads up - am working on MANY lists right now to make sure we have what we need. I only wish my grown kids didn't act like I am a "Over-Worried Old Lady!" But ... guess who they will call when they can't get something?!?  :banghead:

• Like 1

I have heard rumors of this - but now it is hitting close to home when one of us has a family member in that business. Thank you for the heads up - am working on MANY lists right now to make sure we have what we need. I only wish my grown kids didn't act like I am a "Over-Worried Old Lady!" But ... guess who they will call when they can't get something?!?  :banghead:

My oldest always mocked my pantry.  He was pretty happy to stop by and grab k-cups and toilet paper when the shelves were bare.

R.6e5ed8ad5fc8c24de8d6564c852585a9?rik=u

• Like 6

Definitely won't just be toys/gifts that will be scarce this year!!!! If you plan on cooking big holiday meals, stock up on the staple pantry items you may need now and shop for the perishables closer to the holidays (unless they can be freezed now)... I work p/t at one of the big box stores and I have seen first hand empty shelves in the past few weeks just from college move ins, schools re-opening, etc... and some of these shelves remain empty for a couple of weeks before they are restocked... Edited by tracy0504
  • Like 1

I went to plan my order for my chocolate and caramel from the company I buy from, and the caramel is showing out of stock.  I wasn't going to order for about 10 more days, so it'll probably be back in stock in time, but I admit I panicked a little. Amazon has it, but at like 3x the price. I don't want to use Kraft caramels. Not that there's anything wrong with Kraft, but it's just not what I use. So, ya, it'll be back in stock in time, right?  I need some reassurance.  Y'all have me so nervous. LOL.

Definitely won't just be toys/gifts that will be scarce this year!!!! If you plan on cooking big holiday meals, stock up on the staple pantry items you may need now and shop for the perishables closer to the holidays (unless they can be freezed now)... I work p/t at one of the big box stores and I have seen first hand empty shelves in the past few weeks just from college move ins, schools re-opening, etc... and some of these shelves remain empty for a couple of weeks before they are restocked...

I have noticed a lot of empty shelves in the big box stores and in the local grocery stores over the past several weeks. 

Time to revise my shopping patterns .. going to start picking up more staples with each weekly shopping trip. Already started stocking upon flour, sugar and other baking supplies. 

• Like 3

I have noticed a lot of empty shelves in the big box stores and in the local grocery stores over the past several weeks.

Time to revise my shopping patterns .. going to start picking up more staples with each weekly shopping trip. Already started stocking upon flour, sugar and other baking supplies.

I just bought baking powder and cornstarch yesterday, but we were out of flour except for whole wheat so I will be checking ever day that I work so I can grab a couple of bags... I have a wedding cake to make for my son next month and need to make sure I have all of the perishables now!!!! Stocking up early is the smart thing to do, for me anyways...
  • Like 2

I normally don't see this until closer to the holidays, but the demand is high and supply not so much... Last year I couldn't find Baker's brand sweetened coconut at allll to make my coconut cakes as gifts so when I finally saw it again this year I grabbed several bags!!!! It still flies off the shelf and I'm sure we will be out again during the holidays so that's on my list... Flour at my store is gone and has been for the past couple of weeks, still waiting for it to be re-stocked so I can stock up!!!!! I switched to pure cane sugar for baking and canning and we sell a brand (that is also sold in the Dollar Tree) so I have been stocking up on that lately...
  • Like 2

I went to plan my order for my chocolate and caramel from the company I buy from, and the caramel is showing out of stock. I wasn't going to order for about 10 more days, so it'll probably be back in stock in time, but I admit I panicked a little. Amazon has it, but at like 3x the price. I don't want to use Kraft caramels. Not that there's anything wrong with Kraft, but it's just not what I use. So, ya, it'll be back in stock in time, right? I need some reassurance. Y'all have me so nervous. LOL.

What caramel/chocolate company is this? And don't be nervous, you are already on track to stock early before the holiday season hits... It's just a heads up because if the trend keeps on the same track, baking items may take longer to re-stock in the coming weeks... Some people may need/want to move their holiday food shopping ahead a few weeks...
  • Like 1

Via lifehacker
Due to pandemic-related supply chain issues, you should expect fewer bargains and depleted inventory when you do your holiday shopping this year. But some retailers think it is going to be worse than that, and are already telling their customers “September is the new December” and that they should start shopping now, as some products may be very hard to find come November and December.

Whole article here.

• Like 1

What caramel/chocolate company is this? And don't be nervous, you are already on track to stock early before the holiday season hits... It's just a heads up because if the trend keeps on the same track, baking items may take longer to re-stock in the coming weeks... Some people may need/want to move their holiday food shopping ahead a few weeks...

I use Peter's caramel (comes in a loaf) and I order it and Merken's chocolate from Stover & Co.  This year, Stover & Co has their own branded melting chocolate, so I'm thinking of trying that instead of the Merken's. Haven't decided for sure though because I hate to mess with what's tried & true.

• Like 1

Y'all, I haven't even started thinking about Christmas. Which is unusual for me. I have no thoughts or ideas of what I'm getting anyone, but guess I better get with it!

I have 2 big bags of bread flour and flour flour, but I moved this week, and I still haven't unpacked it. I mostly use sugar, powdered sugar and chocolate chips in my holiday baking. So I need to start grabbing all those now. I have no idea what stock is like at my stores, because I haven't been in a grocery store in over a year.

• Like 2

This made the news in my area. Stores have ordered extra inventory and ordered a month early to try and have stock but I think there will be a run on the stores as well. I think I will get my meats early. I usually don't like my ham frozen but I cant be picky this year. So please plan ahead or you will find yourself paying 100 for a turkey. 

• Like 2

My wife and I were just talking about it. We are moving this weekend and we intend to pick up stuff for baking and maybe a turkey starting next week. Crazy we need to start that now.

We can only do pickup at Walmart and at a small local store - both of which informed us they will not get any turkeys in until November - IF THEY GET THEM! :::Sigh:::

Would love to hear if other areas of the USA are experiencing the same thing.

• Like 1

This made the news in my area. Stores have ordered extra inventory and ordered a month early to try and have stock but I think there will be a run on the stores as well. I think I will get my meats early. I usually don't like my ham frozen but I cant be picky this year. So please plan ahead or you will find yourself paying 100 for a turkey.

Before I ever pay $100 for a turkey we will be eating prime rib for Thanksgiving lol.

We can only do pickup at Walmart and at a small local store - both of which informed us they will not get any turkeys in until November - IF THEY GET THEM! :::Sigh:::

Would love to hear if other areas of the USA are experiencing the same thing.

I never thought we would have to start shopping for cooking supplies 2 months before Thanksgiving.
  • Like 2

Before I ever pay $100 for a turkey we will be eating prime rib for Thanksgiving lol.

I never thought we would have to start shopping for cooking supplies 2 months before Thanksgiving.

How in the heck do you stuff a prime rib?!? LOL! ;)

I actually have found what seems like a wonderful online exotic and regular meat supplier - should have a Christmas goose (which I have NOT been able to get where I live sine 1998!) Ordered some other things to check them out first - BUT if these work out  - they have just gotten a shipment of turkeys in - as well as prime rib and everything from, yak & ostrich, to alligator. Will advise once I am sure everything is good - but since they have over 20 physical locations - I think it will be. :::Fingers Crossed!:::

• Like 1