Merry Christmas everyone. We had a robust conversation about home automation in the BF Discussions which touched on some of the uses of some of the Amazon Echo devices. I have been smitten with the Amazon show. More important, my MOTHER has been smitten by the show. My mother is nearly 80 years old and has managed to avoid technology for nearly a century. I have installed computers which boot to social media. I disguised a tablet as an electronic picture frame which jumped into social media at a touch of the screen. To date, I have had no success at all.
A few months back, I invited my mother to dinner. She sat at the kitchen table as I prepared the meal and became curiouser and curiouser as I went about my business setting timers, asking for quantity conversions, and adding things to my grocery list. Then I asked Alexa to play a radio station and she had to ask what this thing was.
Since then, Alexa has added calling and 'drop in' features and, after using these myself, I have decided to put a show in my mother's kitchen. I was very fortunate to get one from QVC for $155 the week of BF (which included a smart outlet and a couple free subscriptions). Now I am compiling a list of 'skills' my mother might find useful. I'll laminate the list and tuck it under the show. Here is what I have so far. Please feel free to add suggestions as a reply to this message or via PM...
- Alexa call [name of echo device]
- Alexa answer
- Alexa ignore
- Alexa hangup
- Alexa set a timer for ten minutes
- Alexa set a turkey timer for 90 minutes
- Alexa show timers
- Alexa how much time is left on my turkey timer
- Alexa cancel my turkey timer
- Alexa stop
- Alexa set an alarm for 5:45pm
- Alexa cancel alarm
- Alexa set an alarm for 6:00am weekdays
- Alexa cancel weekdays alarm at 6:00am
- Alexa set an alarm for 10:00am weekends
- Alexa cancel weekends alarm at 10:00am
- Alexa set an alarm for everyday at 9:00am
- Alexa cancel alarm for everyday at 8:00am
- Alexa show alarms
- Alexa stop
- Alexa how many teaspoons in a table spoon
- Alexa show me a recipe for hard boiled eggs
- Alexa play my Christmas list
- Alexa play my 50s list
- Alexa shuffle
- Alexa turn off shuffle
- Alexa play [call letters of radio station]
- Alexa louder
- Alexa softer
- Alexa stop
- Alexa what is the weather for today
- Alexa what is the seven day forecast
- Alexa what time is it
- Alexa what day of the week does Christmas fall on
- Alexa how many days until Jan. 20, 2021
- Alexa what is the phone number for Home Depot
- Alexa what happened on this day
- Alexa whose birthday is it
- Alexa what is in the news
- Alexa tell me about [anything]
- Alexa show photos
You can say, "Alexa tell me a joke" and she will.
Near the Superbowl you could say tell me a "Patriot burn" and she would say one.
The bad thing is anybody can add to your grocery list! Kids added 500 pillows, 14 pounds of sugar, things like that lol
Happy December 1st... does anyone else buy too much on Black Friday? You know, just in case you might need it? I now have 3 air fryers, 2 printers, 2 Pioneer Woman gadget sets and the list goes on. Might return a couple things today. ;-)
I know the feeling bought DD a Apple watch 2nd series for her bday. She doesn't want it now!! I told my husband maybe I'll keep it and just give her the money.
Do the echo dots have the same functionality as the echo? I just can't understand why anyone would spend extra on the echo, if the dots do exactly the same thing...
Sent from my Moto G (4) using GottaDEAL mobile app
I have a dot and love it, might get another.
I have 3 they are in each bedroom and are loud
Just make sure you program each one with a different name or you will talk to one and all 3 respond
Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL
I only have one, but thinking of getting another....If they are all named the same and I tell them to play spotify will it be like surround sound?
I have to say by November this thread is going to be long!!! We are gonna have to come in here daily just to keep up with the reading, or it will be like a book.
Edited by Kash, Dec 1, 2017 - 8:38 pm.