Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Official Black Friday APPLIANCES Discussion Thread

13 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 20,412 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 10:43 am

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

#2 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 9, 2017 - 2:57 am

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF.  I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop.  Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years.  Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer.  Thank you!

#3 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,649 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 9, 2017 - 7:49 am

When we built our new house 2.5 years ago we got all new appliances. After research and talking with the appliance people we ended up getting Maytag, went with the 5.3 cubic ft top load washer and it's matching dryer. Both of them have the steam feature in them and to date have been absolutely flawless in working. We did add the extended warranty to both for nothing other than all the electronics in them. My dad used to own an appliance repair business and he always swore by Maytag being well built and it still seems to be the case from our current experience. We had looked at the Samsung ones but outside of exploding the lady at Home Depot told us they had been having a lot of complaints with them tearing clothes. So that was 2 strikes for them on the washer/dryer front.

#4 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Sep 9, 2017 - 9:04 am

My aunt had a Kenmore front-loader several years ago.  She hated it and honeslty I'm not even sure the darn thing lasted 2 full years before it started having issues.  

I'm perfectly happy with my base-model appliances.  While the "fanciness" would be nice, the hassel that some have with them...not so much.  

I've had my Frigidaire washer for 18 years now and only two minor repairs that I can think of.  I've had to replace the matching dryer however and went with Kenmore.  So far so good on that one.  Now that Sears is fast becoming irrelevant I'm not sure what that will mean for repairs though.  

Edited by HanShotFirst, Sep 9, 2017 - 9:07 am.

#5 Midnight55  OFFLINE  

Midnight55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 Posts
  • Member since 2014

Posted Sep 9, 2017 - 12:02 pm

@Brad when do we get to order the shirts

Sent from my SM-G955U using GottaDEAL mobile app

#6 mommy2twingles  OFFLINE  

mommy2twingles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 10, 2017 - 6:37 am

Looking for a new in wall oven.  Hoping to find some deals

#7 tsjbenny  OFFLINE  

tsjbenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 11, 2017 - 3:08 pm

I have had the Samsung Washer and Dryer and have had problems since the beginning. I have invested about 2,500 in repairs. I finally had enough and literally put them to the road. I do not recommend Samsung. I bought Maytag and so for no problems.

#8 stewarta4  OFFLINE  

stewarta4

Black Friday Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2014

Posted Sep 12, 2017 - 11:46 am

This year we will be shopping for all new stainless appliances (Fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher) for our kitchen. I've been referencing last year's ads to try to get a general idea of how much we will need to spend. Hoping to spend less than $3k. The less, the better...but also don't want to end up with terrible quality appliances. Last year Lowe's had all 4 pieces (Samsung brand) for $2,225...hoping to find a similar deal this year. Does anyone have any experience with buying large items like these on BF? I assume retailers allow you to schedule delivery/pickup at a later date? 

#9 stewarta4  OFFLINE  

stewarta4

Black Friday Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2014

Posted Sep 12, 2017 - 11:58 am

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF.  I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop.  Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years.  Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer.  Thank you!

We have a Samsung front loader and I cannot say enough bad things about it...I'd give anything to have a regular non HE top loader again...

#10 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,649 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 13, 2017 - 4:45 am

This year we will be shopping for all new stainless appliances (Fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher) for our kitchen. I've been referencing last year's ads to try to get a general idea of how much we will need to spend. Hoping to spend less than $3k. The less, the better...but also don't want to end up with terrible quality appliances. Last year Lowe's had all 4 pieces (Samsung brand) for $2,225...hoping to find a similar deal this year. Does anyone have any experience with buying large items like these on BF? I assume retailers allow you to schedule delivery/pickup at a later date? 

Sears usually has a ton of packages on sale. I just bought a package from Lowes of stainless appliances for a house we are flipping. Paid just over $2k for Stove, Fridge (wanted side by side), dishwasher and gas stove.  It's Samsung and unlike their washers these seem to be really good quality and had great reviews. Lowes/Home Depot seem to have bundle sales all the time.

#11 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 13, 2017 - 11:00 am

Last year, the Lowes near us began honoring their BF deals on appliances the weekend before Thanksgiving.  All you had to do was ask nicely.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#12 msomnipotent  OFFLINE  

msomnipotent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 21, 2017 - 6:46 am

I'm hoping my washer and dryer make it until BF. They are both LG. They have both loved throwing error codes at will since shortly after I bought them, and they are more expensive to fix than other brands. The dryer rollers were 3x the price of others, and that is with me fixing them myself. Having said that, they have been limping along for 6 years now after putting about $350 into repairing both but they still need work that I'm not willing to do. I'm looking at the Electrolux EFLS617SIW with gas dryer, or a Speed Queen. I would prefer the SQ, but I don't think my king sheets would fit in 3.1 cf. The professional reviews for the Electrolux rave about the cleaning ability, which is very important to me, but a surprising amount of personal reviews had ongoing problems with them. My mother and sister like their cheapie Maytags, and I'm tempted to just buy what they have and call it a day. 

The repairman said that washers/dryers are only meant to last 5 years. Since when did something that costs over $800 each become that disposable? Why is it so hard to pick out a decent washer??

#13 avsfan  OFFLINE  

avsfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 23, 2017 - 3:47 am

We've been very happy with our LG pair that we bought several years ago (they were Consumer Reports recommended at the time.)

#14 angelicswtnss  OFFLINE  

angelicswtnss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 23, 2017 - 5:51 am

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF. I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop. Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years. Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer. Thank you!

I need some recommendations as well. Washer and electric dryer are my big items this year. I need a top loading washer though. I'm not messing with front loaders!

Sent from my SM-N920T using GottaDEAL mobile app

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users