Will the election affect when major ads are leaked?

Brad

So the last few years, big stores like Walmart, Best Buy, Target & Kohl's have all released their ads at the beginning of the 2nd week of November.

This year, that would be around November 7-9. Because the election is on the 8th this year, it will be interesting to see if they avoid those days and release their ads either earlier or later so they aren't lost in the election craziness.

Thoughts? Might we see those ads earlier this year?

Interesting thought.  In 2012, the election date was 11/6. Sam's and RiteAid came out that day. Walmart, Kmart, Best Buy, and others came out 2 days later, on the 8th.  I don't think the election will make much, if any difference, myself.

Edited by Bopeep

Interesting thought.  In 2012, the election date was 11/6. Sam's and RiteAid came out that day. Walmart, Kmart, Best Buy, and others came out 2 days later, on the 8th.  I don't think the election will make much, if any difference, myself.

True, but back in 2012, the major ads weren't leaked first by the stores themselves. The last few years they have been.

Very interesting.  It could be possible that one of the stores decides to release their ad late in the night on election night, especially if the election takes a while to decide, say 2 or 3 in the morning.  I could see a company release one just after midnight to give people something to read or even create a little buzz in the morning.

I think they will hold the ads until the election is deceided. I think this election is so different from all the others with amount of attention and craziness that there is no way to really compare it to other election days.  :insane:

• Like 1

I'm not sure it would really affect it, though, because store marketing isn't really linked to whether or not there is an election. Business goes on as usual for them so I think we'll see them right around the same time.

Also, for the people saying that whoever is elected will affect this Black Friday, remember they won't be inaugurated until January. :) :) :)

Edited by stina629

I read this weekend that the Walmart ad will drop 11/9.  I don't know how true that is, because I read several people in a comments section saying that but I could not find anything in the actual article that backed it up.

I read this weekend that the Walmart ad will drop 11/9.  I don't know how true that is, because I read several people in a comments section saying that but I could not find anything in the actual article that backed it up.

I saw an article that predicts Walmart will release their ad on 11/10...so i believe it will be in that general week, just not sure of the date...  it also predicts Macy's will be out 10/28, Target 11/8, JCP 11/7, Kmart 11/14...so this will be interesting to see if these predictions are close...

Edited by tracy0504
  • Like 1