Official Black Friday TABLETS Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 1 month later...
With new models of iPads always coming out, do you guys think that they have an older model iPad mini for cheaper? I know they usually have buy one and get an $xxx gift card, but not sure on older minis. I saw an earlier thread that mentioned refurbished models are good too. Are those shipped in the original box with plastic wrap? Odd question haha! ;) just wondering if it's obvious that it is refurbished.

I've been researching for my daughter (I'm anti-Apple). My research thus far:

Ipad Mini I has a non retina screen and operating system may not have much time left. I will stay away from that.

Difference between Mini II and III is negligible, so much so that III is not an option for me

Mini IV is pricey - but it is an upgrade. Just too much for my liking.

The sweet spot is definitely the Mini II and can be gotten refurb from Apple

Ipad Air 2 refurb might be worth it - it has the better chip and bigger screen

Refurbs come with new case and battery regardless of whats wrong, and a one year warranty

As always - do your research

Edited by sdn40

I want the unlikely and maybe even impossible.  I want a cheap kindle or tablet that can actually take photos.  I want to buy one for my aunt to snap photos of documents at all the libraries she researches at.  Amazon usually has a great kindle price but no camera.  Ideas?

I want the unlikely and maybe even impossible.  I want a cheap kindle or tablet that can actually take photos.  I want to buy one for my aunt to snap photos of documents at all the libraries she researches at.  Amazon usually has a great kindle price but no camera.  Ideas?

The $49 Kindle Fire has two cameras on it. Neither are like top of the line 12MP like the higher end new phones but the one that's rear facing should be fine for what you're describing. I'm not sure if/how much they will discount it but $49 is a pretty good deal.

Need some help. My Daughter is a freshman at college. She has a laptop but its regular size.

Question should we get her a windows tablet and keyboard or a small laptop to take to school?

First time looking at these and not sure what to do.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

If she doesn't need the full blown laptop and the DVD player then the Microsoft Surface Pro's look pretty cool. It runs a full blow OS, I understand it can do anything many laptop's can do and the Pro's look to have normal CPU's in them. I am thinking about picking one up to mess around with it.

Need some help. My Daughter is a freshman at college. She has a laptop but its regular size.

Question should we get her a windows tablet and keyboard or a small laptop to take to school?

First time looking at these and not sure what to do.

Thanks

I think a Surface Pro is overkill and I would personally like the regular laptop just the same. If this was the only computer, then maybe could justify the $1000, but I think the regular laptop will suffice for the first year.

I think a Surface Pro is overkill and I would personally like the regular laptop just the same. If this was the only computer, then maybe could justify the $1000, but I think the regular laptop will suffice for the first year.

That's why we need BF Sales on them :)

I just prefer the Pro portion of them as they are using actual Desktop type CPU's for the most part. You can go with the i5 or i7 line and you're getting a full blown Win10 install. Opens the tablet up to being a laptop replacement that for the most part you should be able to run any WIndows application on (granted some won't support touch).

• Like 1

Yea, just remember you are paying a heck of a premium for the portability of the tablet portion of the Surface. To use it as a laptop, you are not saving any space. Also make sure you know what kind of keyboard and screen you are getting. A portable system with a tiny, low resolution screen and crappy keyboard make for an expensive system that is a pain in the butt to use. I haven't researched it at all, so I don't know if that's the case, but just giving a heads up that there are most certainly some compromises with that system that you have to be willing to live with. Cost being number one. You really have to know if you can get the most out of what the Surface has to offer because you can get a really nice laptop for a lot less

Edited by sdn40

That is a lot out of our budget.  She just needs something to take to school instead of lugging the laptop.  She mentioned others had something small so was

trying to find something that would work.  For example one teacher told them to bring in their laptop or device they will be researching something they are doing

in class.

Thanks

Well you also don't need to go for the Surface Pro 4, there have been good deals on the Surface Pro 3 for less than half of that. As bribri25 said though if it's only for some research and doesn't require anything decent just find something cheap and light.

Well you also don't need to go for the Surface Pro 4, there have been good deals on the Surface Pro 3 for less than half of that. As bribri25 said though if it's only for some research and doesn't require anything decent just find something cheap and light.

That's what I am looking for. Small and light. Are there any Windows tablets out there cheap enough?

Patiently waiting for the ads. Why are they taking so long...

I saw a Surface Pro 3 with an i5 Processor on Amazon for around $500 I think it was. Had Win 8.1 on it but i think you can still get the upgrade for them either free or cheap (not positive about that part any longer). Not sure what budget you have for this gift but it's an MS product and can work as a laptop replacement.

• Like 1

We have had both Lenovo and Dell windows tablets. Both are nice, they come in 10" and 8" sizes. They are at a more affordable price, we bought one last week for about $400 I think, but it had a lot of memory, and was at the higher end, so I'm sure can find one cheaper. Then you can pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard if needed. That might be a good alternative if you really want to stay with windows and have something small. The Mail app is nice on those.
  • Like 1

We have had both Lenovo and Dell windows tablets. Both are nice, they come in 10" and 8" sizes. They are at a more affordable price, we bought one last week for about $400 I think, but it had a lot of memory, and was at the higher end, so I'm sure can find one cheaper. Then you can pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard if needed. That might be a good alternative if you really want to stay with windows and have something small. The Mail app is nice on those.

I think if it's just portability and small research during class, you could get away with a decent 13" lightweight laptop for 1/3 the price of the Surface Pro. Then you'll have some budget for extra accessories, as needed.

If we get an android tablet, what program is close to word that can be put on it.  We were thinking a windows tablet, so if she does have any spare time, etc she can use word to type anything else up,  Yes there is google docs, but many times she is not allowed to use that.

Hoping for a cheap small windows tablet or a tablet.  

Thanks all

http://www.qvc.com/fg_APTSV_Amazon_103016_V1.content.html?cm_ite=MAIN_FAUXPAGE_7AO:AmazonElectronics&cm_ven=APTSV&cm_cat=AmazonFireTabletsSetsTSV_Week4416EM_20161025_ELECTRONICS_CAMP1041&cm_pla=A10to49MBS_QVCActive_Category_2102452198&p1=E7A2D59B-80C8-4F53-AB39-E3F6AD93F764&p2=B5F7374F-962B-4F61-88FF-9CFA8F846AEE&cvosrc=email.cheetahmail.2102452198

The QVC Today's Special Value for 10/30 is 2 7" Fire tablets with cases and software packs (not sure what the software pack is) for $89.95. Shipping is $5.50, but if you've never placed an order at QVC before you can use coupon code FIVE4U to get $5 off.  You can shop the presale now.

If we get an android tablet, what program is close to word that can be put on it. We were thinking a windows tablet, so if she does have any spare time, etc she can use word to type anything else up, Yes there is google docs, but many times she is not allowed to use that.

Thanks all

Google Docs is your simplest solution. If that's not allowed, there are a few other options, but some of them are in the 'Paid' realm. Nothing else will BE Word, but it comes close. Most docs will be interchangeable across both platforms.
  • Like 1

If we get an android tablet, what program is close to word that can be put on it.  We were thinking a windows tablet, so if she does have any spare time, etc she can use word to type anything else up,  Yes there is google docs, but many times she is not allowed to use that.

Thanks all

Before thinking about Android or Apple, I would make sure that during this research they don't require something windows based. I know in some past classes we've had to run specific programs which would not be possible on iOS or Android. Just a little food for thought :)

• Like 1

Before thinking about Android or Apple, I would make sure that during this research they don't require something windows based. I know in some past classes we've had to run specific programs which would not be possible on iOS or Android. Just a little food for thought :)

When did Apple come in? ;)  We were talking Surface Pro and Android Tablet.  But, yes, very good point to consider.

Don't want an Apple, leaning away from Android (she had previously) more interested in deals on a Windows tablet, or really small cheap laptop. It is just to take to school so she does not have to lug her heavier laptop