Are you for or against Thursday/Thanksgiving store openings?

rwking75

Against Thursday opening. I also don't like the staggered sales like Walmart had last year. I don't have time to wait around or go back in 3 hours when something else I may want goes on sale. I don't go out till 11 Thursday night but I live in Massachusetts where we have blue laws and stores can't open until 1 am with a few exceptions that get permission to open at midnight but can't open before that.

• Like 1

im am against it i believe thanksgiving should be with family and good football but i am a mother of 6 and grandmother of 5 and on a very tight budget so like it or not i have to but i wish it was all back to friday we loved the 5am openings on friday and we would shop all day then go home and pass out fun!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Many have already hit the nail on the head. Traditional shoppers know that small children should remain at home. They also know what to expect and how to deal with others in a respectful manner. What many are experiencing is the worst of the convenience crowd, who now gladly take over where traditionalists cede to them. This is an entirely different animal. Rude, inexperienced, and prone to rush both to judgement and at the door, should the opportunity to do so arise. They bring ALL their children with them, as well as Auntie Mae and her 5 children. None have eaten. Half of them are running amok, and the other half need to tinkle. They steal your doorbusters by cutting in line with 5 friends who just happen to show up after a flurry of texts, tweets and selfies. Oh, and they have their children with them also....and their husbands in tow. Luckily, they are pre-programmed to shop at the most convenient place they could think of.....Walmart.

If you can avoid this upcoming disaster should the doors open even earlier than ever, you are hereby forewarned to avoid the WM at all costs.....

I am opposed to stores being open from midnight to midnight on Thanksgiving (or any online deals that start during those hours).  

Except for some pharmacies in the morning, I will not be shopping during the day or early evening (probably until around 10 PM) on Thanksgiving, but I will go out around 9 or 10 PM when my family is ending their activities for the Holiday. 

• Like 1

The people having to work should have the option of when they work that week, I think if u need money get 2 1/2 times for the same shift that you'd work is great.  I'm for getting paid more, but against it being forced on thanksgiving, They should work with the employees, ultimately thats what needs to happen and perhaps more Self-Checkout could be used during the day and time to prep for black friday. Just hire extra workers to check everything that exits the doors so that it goes fast and they would have no problems.

The people having to work should have the option of when they work that week, I think if u need money get 2 1/2 times for the same shift that you'd work is great.  I'm for getting paid more, but against it being forced on thanksgiving, They should work with the employees, ultimately thats what needs to happen and perhaps more Self-Checkout could be used during the day and time to prep for black friday. Just hire extra workers to check everything that exits the doors so that it goes fast and they would have no problems.

Given the option, most would choose that day off. Hiring more seasonal help is tantamount to disaster. The last thing you want is inexperienced help giving you the wrong advice or leading to the wrong product. They do have a choice and it was made when they signed on to work with the offending company. After more than two years into this new shopping scheme, if they weren't fully aware of their responsibility to work major events and holidays, it would certainly no longer be the fault of the company. The solution is unfortunately some sort of Blue law that prohibits store openings prior to Midnight. All of us wish things were different, but nobody should feel bullied or ashamed to go out and take advantage of the deals on this day.

• Like 2

I am against the Thursday openings.  I am also against all of the Christmas displays they set up a month ago.  This week you couldn't even find Halloween items at most stores, it is kind of sad.  I do realize these are stores and they are here to make money, but I do not think putting the almighty dollar first instead of taking one day to celebrate family is okay.  No matter what your religious preferences are, we need to get back to the real reasons for buying gifts for our loved ones, not just to see who can get the biggest haul.

• Like 4

Personally, I'm against it. I'm all about scoring a deal, but on Thanksgiving- my focus is on family & friends. And eating a coma inducing amount of food.

Like many others, I'll probably shop online when I can catch a break from the festivities.

• Like 2

I'm in the middle on this one...while I really enjoy family, food and fun, I love BF (Thursday) shopping as well!!!! I admit I have to give up some family time, but we get together a lot throughout the whole year...also I don't always get the opportunity to take BF off so getting good deals on Thanksgiving helps me out...

We are in line on Thanksgiving, anyway, so I kind of like the earlier opening times. I thought 6:00 was reasonable... gives people time to spend with their families while also giving people something to do other than watching football.

Looks like this year the trend might be to move things to 4:00. That will mean employees will need to be there around 2:00 which will ruin many Thanksgiving gatherings.

I remember when Kmart tried to open early on Thanksgiving several years ago. That did not go very well for them.

It is hard to say where the sweet spot will be. At what time will the need to get good deals intersect with the desire to spend time with family.

A couple of retailers have some out and said they are NOT opening on Thanksgiving day this year, while others have pushed times earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving. As a Black Friday shopper, what's your opinion?

As long as people are willing to work and shop.  I wish them all well.  I don't think it is my place to prohibit people from doing either.  Let the free market prevail!

A couple of retailers have some out and said they are NOT opening on Thanksgiving day this year, while others have pushed times earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving. As a Black Friday shopper, what's your opinion?

Let's encourage even earlier hours. Then in a few years, they'll be opening on Wednesday. Problem solved. :D

Edited by tubemonkey
  • Like 4

Let's encourage even earlier hours. Then in a few years, they'll be opening on Wednesday. Problem solved. :D

A couple years ago, K-mart announced they would be open Thanksgiving.  Since our travel plans would put us near the store at opening time, I decided to stop in.  The place looked like a bomb hit it.  Turns out Massachusetts would not let its stores open on Thursday, so K-mart kicked off Wednesday night instead.  Salem New Hampshire decided to do the same.  People who waited in line on T-Day found all the door all the doorbusters gone and no rainchecks.  I have not shopped at K-mart since.  A sign on the door would have been considerate.

Glad to hear that some stores will not be open on Thanksgiving and will give their employees the day off to be with their families: Costco, Game Stop, Nordstrom are 3 that will definitely be closed.

However, those three are stores that do not depend on you rushing and buying doorbusters and picking up other things.  Costco and Nordstrom will always be able to afford to not open early on BF, and GameStop's model doesn't have you rushing in necessarily on BF - the things people rush into that store for are released on other days.

I have no personal preference either way. Those who have to work will have to work, whether it's a service job, retail job, or healthcare job. That is what we signed up for. I would like to see people spend time with their families no matter what day it happens on. Just because it isn't necessarily Thanksgiving Day doesn't lessen the time and meal shared together. People will figure something out…we always do. There is too much negativity in the world already. Let's just calm down and carry on, in whatever manner it is that you choose to shop. 

• Like 2

Against it. The fun of black Friday used to be getting up at 2 am, going to stand in line for 4 am opening and shop until 8 or 9 am. Now you have to go out 12 hours earlier and still get done at the same time. More of my shopping has moved to online from my couch.
  • Like 1

For the people that like it, you are supporting the "End of Thanksgiving" with family unless you have no family in your area !

Agains it !

Police, firemen, hospital employees, security guards, military personnel, and many, many others work on holidays.  

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2

I'd like everyone to go back to Friday openings. I don't mind online, but stores should be closed people can enjoy the time with their families. The time slowly crept back the last couple of years as other stores tried to get you in their stores first; all for the dollar.

• Like 1

For the people that like it, you are supporting the "End of Thanksgiving" with family unless you have no family in your area !

Agains it !

Or maybe these people make time special with their family all the time and not just on Thanksgiving.  I live near my family and we get together all the time to celebrate being a family.  We have parties and fun together all the time and don't need a "special" day to get together.

I have seen people mentioning that there are many people who have to work on Thanksgiving anyway and that is just ignored.  Besides essential service people like hospital workers, police, fire there are also cinema workers - did you know your local movie theater is open on Thanksgiving??  Many families go to the movie together after Thanksgiving dinner (I know because I used to work at a movie theater as a teenager and had to work on Thanksgiving).  Gas stations are open, and drug stores, etc.  

Life doesn't stop because it is Thanksgiving and many people just don't value this day as much as others - and that is OK.  Don't shame others because they don't have the same opinions as you is all I am saying.  Different people have different reasons as to why they support the earlier opening times and if their reason is important to them then it is valid regardless if they have family nearby or not.

• Like 6

I don't like it but only because I wish employees were able to stay home with their families (same goes for all those non-retail employees who have to work). My family always gets up at 5-6 a.m. Thanksgiving morning to start the turkey. My mom cooks through the night so all that is left to do is the turkey and dressing. We play bags and horse shoes until around noon (11:30-12) when the food is done. We eat, watch a new movie, and usually everyone takes a nap before the movie is even over. We all get back up and eat some more while laying around watching Christmas movies. Last year my husband and I left to go to Walmart for Black Friday around 3:00 that afternoon (the sales started at 6) so were able to spend plenty of time with family. If sale times move up even more than it might affect the afternoon nap but other than that I actually like it. I do wish that stores would start opening a little later though. 

I work in retail....I very rarely get to spend holidays with my family....and now I have to give up my Thanksgiving as well! I find it amusing when customers say to me "I can't believe you have to work today!" I wish I could tell them that I would not have to, if they would stay home!!!

I work in retail....I very rarely get to spend holidays with my family....and now I have to give up my Thanksgiving as well! I find it amusing when customers say to me "I can't believe you have to work today!" I wish I could tell them that I would not have to, if they would stay home!!!

You don't.  You could negotiate holidays off as a condition of employment.  You could also seek employment in a field that does not require holiday work.  If you choose to take a position that requires holiday work, then you ought to do it cheerfully.  That's what they pay you for.

• Like 1