Report: Target suffers Black Friday hack at 'nearly all' stores

Brad

This is OUTRAGEOUS ! Target is not taking any responsibility for their poor handling of their customers cc and debit information. Anyone who shopped in a US Target store November 27th to Dec 15th is at risk !! This information should be made available on the FRONT PAGE of targets website, NOT BURIED IN SMALL PRINT THAT NO ONE WILL EVER SEE!!!!! If you used a credit or debit card at a target store, your credit information may have been stolen, which means not only can purchases be made using your cc number, but your credit identity itself is AT RISK. PLEASE contact

www.consumer.gov/idtheft, or call the FTC, at (877) IDTHEFT (438-4338) or write to Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Response Center, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580. And COMPLAIN. Maybe retailers will be held accountable and stop passing all the hassle onto the consumers.

If your identity is stolen or money is charged to your account fraudulently, it is a HUGE HASSLE to straighten things out. Do you think target will help or even care???? COMPLAIN PEOPLE !!!

I haven't been able to log into the site either. 

FWIW, it is at the top of Target's website. They aren't hiding it. Also, I've had fraudulent charges on various credit cards in the past and I wouldn't say that fixing the charges was ever a HUGE HASSLE. They've just required a phone call, a notarized letter and waiting a few days for a new card to be issued. Yeah, this stinks, but let's not storm Target with torches and pitchforks.

so my question is....you get 1 free credit report a year with this incident would we be eligible for more? I didn't see anything mentioned in either of the articles I've read.

UPDATE: I just got an email with more details. I can't find spoiler option else I'd post in case anyone needs it.

Edited by tinkrbel

I'll have to look for that email when I get home.

I went to use my Target Debit last night, and it wouldn't work. It was late so I didn't bother going to guest services, but I'm sure it was suspended because of this. I hope a new card comes soon, I hate missing the 5%! But I'd rather be safe.

Edited by bluebear

Day 2 and still no luck getting through online or by telephone. Was able to finally get to a point on the automated phone system where I could hear a list of all my transactions. Thankfully I can account for all of them up to today.

Trying not to get angry over it but the more time that passes until I can cancel my REDcard the more frustrated I get. What a huge mess.

I was able to get through to MyRedCard online. Was very slow but worked fine. I don't think this is just about the target cc and debit card I think this is any card, a lot of the reports I've seen said they are sending data to banks to match up with their systems for people that have been hurt. So to me this means if you used anything OTHER than cash and possibly gift cards you need to watch your account. I used my one that goes against my bank account but I've seen nothing so far. I have a feeling anyone affected will now be getting new cards. To me this sounds more than just someone grabbing a DB it actually sounds like another scam I've heard going on where people are hacking firmware for card readers and having the actual terminal you're using do the skimming of the needed information. This has been happening around the US for some time now. To me this just screams of insider people from these terminal vendors I remember reading that there was a ring busted for doing this to Barne's n Nobel. I've had some ideas on how to stop a lot of this but they are only half formed (well except the ones that require a band of ninjas :) )

10% off your purchase in store Saturday and Sunday:

http://pressroom.target.com/news/a-message-from-ceo-gregg-steinhafel-about-targets-payment-card-issues

Excludes all gift cards, entertainment cards, airtime cards, prepaid cards, iTunes cards, Apple, Bose, all video games, Playstation 4 consoles, Xbox One consoles, Target Mobile(SM), prescriptions, optical, clinic, and alcohol purchases. Offer cannot be combined with other storewide or category/department coupons.

I went to Target and I expected to see info on the front doors or at the service desk (that I visited for a price match) but I saw nothing!  There may have been something at the normal cash registers but I did not check out there.  I am disappointed that Target is not letting their customers know more info about it in the stores.

Two days I have been trying to call Target to cancel my redcard.  No luck getting through.  I was able to contact my bank to cancel my debit card that I have also used at Target.  Now I have to wait 7-10 business days for a new debit card.  I wish I could get through to target to cancel my redcard as I have a regular credit card and a debit card through target.  This makes me very nervous.

Two days I have been trying to call Target to cancel my redcard.

I'm hoping they have different phone#'s but I spent over 4 hours waiting on a single call yesterday and from 9am-roughly 8pm trying to get an answer with no luck regarding their shipping deadline promise which isn't being met. Imagine plastering "guaranteed Christmas delivery" on website and then using cheap UPSSurePost (ups to USPS for final delivery) to deliver and chat reps could care less. Per a chat rep I'm contacting UPS now since I can't waste 2 days on the phone with Target for no resolution.