Stocking stuffers!

nicole20

I love doing stockings.  I hang 5 but only 4 get anything in ...mine is left empty....lol.....sorry but I am not filling my own stocking...lol.....and I do my mom one here. They get their stockings Christmas eve.  I do a lot of what you all do and I put in a cd or dvd  or games.

My stocking is always empty too.... I have to get my own Christmas presents, so I refuse to have to fill my own stocking.

We also do toothbrushes in our stockings!!  I even got one when I was a little girl.

We have fun and make a big deal out of stockings, even though nothing costs very much.  nail polish, lip stuff, candy, silly toy, car game, makeup, hair stuff, lottery tickets, small gift cards.  And, always a chocolate Santa in the toe. 

Stockings are usually the most exciting thing at Christmas and I'm feeling guilty.  Just not into the spirit yet.  Jeff has been in and of the hospital twice and a month in a nursing facility and once again I'm tapped out, emotionally and financially.... We do stockings and the bigger gifts don't come until my EIP (which is like a bonus) in March...  Trying to build up enthusiasm but it's really been hard.  Maybe the cold snap tonight will shock my system...

Hugs to you. Hope things pick up for you. Christmas is my favorite time of year too, but I've been dealing with a lot lately too. My mom was in the hospital for a while, is now in a nursing home, not really getting any better. I've been doing all my parents' housework, bill paying, etc. for over a year and a half now. My dad still works and my mom has always done everything for him. Since he's still working, I go over every day and pack his lunch, do dishes, laundry, sweep, dust, pay bills...everything. Plus taking care of my own family. I'm a stay-at-home mom, youngest has ADD and many issues at school, husband's hours got cut at work. I could go on and on, but I'm trying to focus on the things I have that a lot of people don't. Christmas will be slim this year, but we'll be together.

Hugs to you. Hope things pick up for you. Christmas is my favorite time of year too, but I've been dealing with a lot lately too. My mom was in the hospital for a while, is now in a nursing home, not really getting any better. I've been doing all my parents' housework, bill paying, etc. for over a year and a half now. My dad still works and my mom has always done everything for him. Since he's still working, I go over every day and pack his lunch, do dishes, laundry, sweep, dust, pay bills...everything. Plus taking care of my own family. I'm a stay-at-home mom, youngest has ADD and many issues at school, husband's hours got cut at work. I could go on and on, but I'm trying to focus on the things I have that a lot of people don't. Christmas will be slim this year, but we'll be together.

Hugs to you, I think we are related.  Lots of people are going through this this year, have friends that have ended up moving home to take care of parents, sudden health crises.... Praying for a better 2014 for us all...  

I love stockings best, but this year will be different.  My husband passed away in 'April, but my daughter got engaged last month, so I still have 4 to do.  I put a game or movie and some cool jewelry for my DD and candy and gift cards.  For my son, usually a game and some new headphones or something like that.  i don't know what to put in her fiance's yet, but something will strike my fancy eventually

Stockings are always an orange in the bottom, candy (mostly snickers and the mini pb cups since they are a family fav) and a few small items such as cosmetics for the females and if there are tickets or gift cards, they will end up in there so they are not lost in the gift pile under the tree. We do not usually do anything too expensive for stockings, it has always been a sort of bonus gift.

Growing up we didn't "do stockings".  Don't get me wrong my parents were great but my mom was one of those Christmas Eve shoppers (it just wasn't her thing).  Still to this day she puts the grandkids gifts in those rubbermaid totes instead of wrapping anything.

When I had ds I started doing a stocking for him.  Then a few years later I woke up one Christmas to find dh had gotten me one and filled it.  So, we do them every year.  I guess after reading this thread I'm lucky he gets into it somewhat.

Anyhow for ds (20) and dh the last few years they've gotten:

cologne

small value gift cards (if they are larger amounts then they get wrapped and put under the tree)

DVD's

Beef Jerky (been putting this in my son's stocking every year since he was about 4 and him and whatever dog we had at the time always share it while we open presents)

Puzzle books and nice pens for dh

wallet

gloves

razor blade refills (the gillette ones)

In mine there are a few staples that have a recurring theme:

Perfume

Hair Accessories

Socks

Chap Stick

Hallmark Ornament

• Like 1

Santa always puts mostly candy (all those fun xmas-themed Hershey bars and Reeses and stuff like that) in the boys' stockings, and then a bagged lego set, one or two more little toys (like $1-$2 stuff), and a tree ornament. 

We have a tradition with my mom where I fill her and dad's stockings on christmas eve and she fills mine and my husband's.  She stops over in the morning and fills ours and then I take care of theirs when we go over for xmas eve dinner.None of us open them until xmas morning.  I usually do toiletries and a few snacks for them, but this year neither of them are getting any toiletries since I discovered my mom's hoard in the bathroom closet last time I was over there! She has tons of little toothpastes, floss, bags of razors, etc.  So I'm thinking about doing a bag of coffee in each of their stockings and then a few snacks. 

• Like 1

In years past, the guy in my life would get a unique beer or liquor added to the stocking. He always looked forward to what the beverage would be. Other things for him would be power bars/gels, always a M&M item, iTunes GC, small bag of favorite jerky, chapstick, mini lotion, and dvd or bluray. Stockings are my FAVORITE "gift"!
  • Like 3

I just ordered a bunch of little gadgets from perpetualkid.com for stocking stuffers.  DH is getting a desk catapult and the little ones are getting crayon styli for their tablets.  Stockings at our house tend to be a big thing, I fill everyone else's and my mama fills mine.  I usually put an orange in the toe, and fill the rest with candy, fast food gift cards, little toys, toothbrushes and fun flavored toothpaste for the boys, fuzzy socks and nice gloves for the girls.  I think this year I might get some lotto tickets if I feel brave enough to actually go inside the gas station.  :eyepoppin

• Like 1

Stockings are my least favorite thing to do....and I LOVE Christmas. I think the big thing for me is I always feel like it gets more expensive to do them. Now that my kids are no longer "little kids", the things that go in are not from the Dollar store. I keep looking at other peoples list of what they put in for some ideas. Spending 100+ for 2 stockings just bugs me.
  • Like 2

Lucyismycat, I'd love to know where you get the fun toothpaste. Target doesn't have any interesting ones. :)

I usually get toothpaste at Meijer.  I know in the past I've found orange flavored and cinnamon.  This year I'm shooting for bacon flavored and maybe cupcake. I'm sure I'll have to get those online. 

My kids are older now, but they told me their Christmas stockings were always their favorite part of Christmas morning. Which suprised me because I always had lil gifts in there for them. I sign up at alot of freebie sites during the year and keep those for their stockings....., samples of perfume or colonge, shampoo, bubble bath sample packs of snacks, toothpastes etc. I put candy and only small gifts that I get for free or less than a dollar here and there. I wrap some up and leave some unwrapped. I never knew how they felt about those stockings till last year when I wasn't gonna have them. Boy did I get an earful from my grown kids!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

know the feeling dad has cancer and this year has been nothing but dr appts, chemo appts and radiation appts, i am doing this all alone since the only family member close and trying to hold down full time job. christmas is gonna be really sad this year, i usually shop all year long have not had time and dont see any in near futur, will be a gift card christmas hate this

I usually get toothpaste at Meijer.  I know in the past I've found orange flavored and cinnamon.  This year I'm shooting for bacon flavored and maybe cupcake. I'm sure I'll have to get those online. 

My DS likes the Silly Strawberry or Orange Mango toothpaste from Tom's of Maine.  Our Target carries both as do most of the health food stores around here.

• Like 1

I loved the post above with apples and oranges- we always had one of those in the "toe" part of the stocking!  My grandma is infamous for ribbon candy in the stocking, but loose, so it gets all the little fuzzies stuck to it!

Anyway, I try to fill the stockings with all the little things you use during the year like toiletries for my 18 year old, duct tape, (I loved the gas card suggestion above- I was thinking of a few small food gift cards), hubby is getting some things like sandpaper, WD-40, football cards.  Oh, the pets get stockings with treats and toys- I have caught bunnies sneaking in to get treats more than once (and they love candy canes- steal them from the tree and munch them!)

know the feeling dad has cancer and this year has been nothing but dr appts, chemo appts and radiation appts, i am doing this all alone since the only family member close and trying to hold down full time job. christmas is gonna be really sad this year, i usually shop all year long have not had time and dont see any in near futur, will be a gift card christmas hate this

Sending love and prayers your way. This must be difficult for you, especially being the only close family member. I'm sure your dad appreciates your love and support and knowing that he has you to look after him and be there for him during this time.

Try to take some time for yourself when you can. Even if it's just a longer than normal shower or a cup of tea before bed. Be kind to yourself.

• Like 1

I still need to do stockings!! I usually love it but the bigger our family grows....it is just so much to remember and do This year I am doing 13 stockings Enough whining!:) I have most of the girls done but still need things for most of the guys, I have nothing for my dad or father in laws. I am going to read this thread again tomorrow and write down some ideas that I had not thought of for the stockings. 

Next year I have told them that everybody has to buy 1 thing for everybody's stocking and put them in the stocking sometime between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas. They all like the like the idea so we will see how it goes. 

My 20 y.o. sis is a HUGE SpongeBob fan so I am doing her stocking in SpongeBob.  Found a big candy cane, of course crabby patties. rummy cards, 2014 calendar.   One thing I put in everyone's stocking is the Lifesaver candy books.  I got one every Christmas when I was a kid and totally loved them and chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil.  Love those!