Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread

Brad

Can anyone give me advice on online ordering a laptop on Black Friday? Is is possible or probable that I can get one? Also, thanks for all the advice on the best products, more is appreciated- looking for one for a high school student. Am I better off just trying to buy pre-BF?

What do you guys think of the HP ENVY laptops Office Max/BB have in their ad's? I am looking to purchase myself a laptop, and that is about my price range I would prefer to be around (500-600). Do they look to be worth that price-tag, or are there other's out there that are comparable, but cheaper? Also do you think the BF prices on those laptops will be the lowest they go this year, or will the stores have a week where they have good laptop deals before X-Mas?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop for a 15 yr old girl? She will do homework on it (writing papers and doing research), playing games like the Sims and getting online. I would like to stay under $350 if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

my first suggestion - find out the minimum specs on whatever games she's really into.

then buy a laptop based on those specs (but boost the ram as high as you can win 7 really does really really well on 8 gigs of ram (my husband is a gamer dude - plays these online games - and he has 8 gigs and never complains about speed issues - only occasionally do i hear about our internet - but that's not anything we can do anything about, that's trees falling during storms, lol.)

we have a laptop we bought last year from walmart - before black friday actually - was just a regular laptop 15 inch screen. was win 7. came with 2 gigs of ram. worked ok (netbook class processor actually) but this week my husband went ahead and bumped it up to 8gigs ram - oh, wow is that making a difference in his 'puter!)

that computer was $278+tax ($299 after all fees) at the time. when my son and husband come home, i'll check the netbook/laptop and edit this post to add in the laptop model number info. (edited to correct price - i found the receipt) - aspire 5749 is the model.

it is a netbook class laptop (what that means is it looks like a laptop (15.6 inch screen) but has a slower processor in it - netbook class. honestly, for everything we've done on it, has not been a detriment.

it does have a dvd player as well as hdmi outputs, many usb's, etc. :)

my son is homeschooled - actually uses an e-school and this 'puter has worked awesomely for that. he doesn't have many storebought games on it though. he's more about flash games.

i have used that computer for my college classes at times when needed and it has worked well to do all i need - email/net/online classes/graphics rich projects/term papers/spreadsheets/some power point stuff, that kind of thing.

Edited by happyfrog

I have a question, if someone could help :)

On the Office Max ad for the Toshiba Satellite 17.3" Laptop with AMD A6, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD with Windows 8 (L875D-S7332), it says the price is $379.99 after a $50 VISA pre-paid card.

Can someone explain what the VISA pre-paid card part is, please? I am thinking because i'm not from UK, I might not be eligable :(

I have a question, if someone could help :)

On the Office Max ad for the Toshiba Satellite 17.3" Laptop with AMD A6, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD with Windows 8 (L875D-S7332), it says the price is $379.99 after a $50 VISA pre-paid card.

Can someone explain what the VISA pre-paid card part is, please? I am thinking because i'm not from UK, I might not be eligable :(

Its like a debit/credit card with a balance of $50. Use it anywhere VISA is accepted. Now sure what that means for international, but likely some foreign transaction fees when you use it since it's based in US.

jamieva was referring to the laptop from Best Buy, not Fry's. Weren't they different ones?

If the reference was to the 2011 BestBuy Lenovo G575 laptop it was: 179.99

You can see in here: http://www.stlpcwizard.com/BF2011/Best%20Buy%20-%20BF%202011.pdf

The laptops were similar, but the Frys one had better specs.

**Best Buy: AMD E-300 processor, 2 USB ports, 1 mono speaker (in most), 2GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive: $179.99

**Frys: AMD E-350 processor (a bit faster), 4 USB ports, 2 stereo speakers, 3GB RAM, 320 GB Hard drive: $178.00

I noticed that the current cheapest 2012 black friday laptops (at Walmart [$179 Compaq] & Best Buy [$187.99 Lenovo]) have the old AMD E-300 [$187.99 Lenovo] and AMD C-60 [$179 Compaq] processors.

I would stay away from those unless you know how to install more memory, turn off Windows services, stop many programs from auto starting, and the like.

The C-60 especially is very weak. It will work for browsing and some light tasks and editing, but not real multi-tasking.

I'm surprised by the lack of real laptop deals so far to be honest. Like a $230/$250 Core i3 or so.

What do you think about Target's Gateway? AMD A8 Quad Core, 4GB memory, 500GB Hard drive. Priced @ $349. Use your Target CC and get it for $331.55.

Based on the "REG. 529.99" I checked out Target's website. They do have a Gateway laptop for $529.99. If we can assume that these are very similar units, it may be a good deal. Here are the specs on the laptop on Target's website:

Maximum Resolution: 1366 x 768

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Aspect Ratio

Display Features: Backlit Display, Widescreen, High-Definition, LED Display

Computer Features: Integrated Microphone, Touchpad, Numeric Keypad, Standard Keyboard, SuperMulti DVD Optical Drive

Processor Brand: AMD

Processor Speed: Up to 1.9 Ghz

Processor Type: AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350

Cache Memory Installed Capacity: 4MB L2 Cache

System Bus Speed: Up to 1066 Mhz

System RAM: 4096 MB

Memory RAM Type: DDR3

Maximum RAM Supported: 8 GB

Total RAM Slots Free: 1 Free/2 Total

Data Storage Capacity: 500GB Hard Drive Capacity

Hard Drive Speed: 5400 RPM

Built-In Graphics Card Model: AMD Radeon HD 7640G

Optical Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD+R

Maximum Read Speeds: CD-ROM 24x, DVD-ROM 8x

Maximum Write Speeds: DVD+R 8x, DVD-R DL 6x, CD-R 24x

Maximum Rewrite Speeds: DVD+RW 8x, DVD±RW 8x, CD-RW 24x

Wired Technology: 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Wired Connectivity: USB 2.0, USB 3.0

Wireless Technology: Wi-Fi Enabled

Wireless Standard: IEEE 802.11b/g/n

Built-In Card Reader Type: Multi-in-1 Card Reader

Input Type: Microphone, USB, Headphone Jack, VGA, SD Card Slot, RJ-45

Output Type: VGA, HDMI, Headphone Jack

Audio Features: Built-In Speakers, High Definition Audio Support

Card Slots Supported: SD Card, MultiMedia Card (MMC)

Built-In Webcam Features: Built-In 1.3 Megapixel Webcam

Has anyone ever ordered a laptop from Office Depot online, on Thanksgiving morning at all? was just wondering how long their shipping time would be on a laptop bought in the Black Friday online sale on Thanksgiving day itself?

Thanks in advance all.

Do you think the $179 Compaq Presario laptop in the WM BF ad is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15.6-Compaq-Presario-CQ58-A10NR-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-E1-1200-Accelerated-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/20975097

Or is a "special buy" a specific one that they don't typically carry?

We've already bought one from BB for $250 back in September that was 2 GB/320 GB like this one, but we are trying to compare, since the BB one was a Toshiba and we paid $250. We are getting it for our soon to be 9 year old for the online games he likes to play (Roblox, Free Realms, Webkinz), as well as for school work, with the intention that this will last a few years, hopefully 3, at least...

Edited by stacya
added info

Do you think the $179 Compaq Presario laptop in the WM BF ad is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15.6-Compaq-Presario-CQ58-A10NR-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-E1-1200-Accelerated-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/20975097

Or is a "special buy" a specific one that they don't typically carry?

We've already bought one from BB for $250 back in September that was 2 GB/320 GB like this one, but we are trying to compare, since the BB one was a Toshiba and we paid $250. We are getting it for our soon to be 9 year old for the online games he likes to play (Roblox, Free Realms, Webkinz), as well as for school work, with the intention that this will last a few years, hopefully 3, at least...

No, that is not the correct laptop.

The $179 Walmart laptop is the CQ58-bf9WM listed here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-Pacific-Blue-15.6-CQ58-bf9WM-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Dual-Core-C-80-Processor-and-Windows-8-Operating-System/21150616

They do have it marked incorrectly by the way. The processor is an AMD C-60. Not C-80 as they list in the title.

The AMD C-60 is a pretty weak performer. Way below the AMD E-300 even.

I would go with the HP Envy. Now you must decide on these 2 factors. The two differences between these computers and the screen size and the memory count. Both are expandable to 16GB and both have the Intel I5 processor and a 750GB HD. Both are great computers that also have outstanding customer service :)

Hope this helps :)

I would go with the HP Envy. Now you must decide on these 2 factors. The two differences between these computers and the screen size and the memory count. Both are expandable to 16GB and both have the Intel I5 processor and a 750GB HD. Both are great computers that also have outstanding customer service :)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for responding.

I am leaning towards the 15.6 inch screen since the memory is more. I am really nervous about getting another HP I have had 2 in this house and both have not lasted 2 years. We got DS a really GOOD laptop a few years ago, it was $1,000 clearanced to $700 because HP had changed the keyboard color. The motherboard went on it the September before it was 2 years old. We got it the beginning of November. The 2nd one was for me, I got on BF (not a doorbuster) and it also did not last 2 years, first my speakers went (I rarely used them to begin with) then the motherboard went also right around the 22 month mark. This time I plan of getting a SquareTrade warranty which will mean that nothing will happen with it and it will last a long time :tongue1:

The only thing my 11 year old daughter requested this year was her own laptop. She uses my husbands old one. She wants a pink one. Can anyone direct me to any of the stores that might have a pink laptop? Specs don't have to be great as she is only 11 and she doesn't play games on it. Mostly just goes to youtube for videos and such. Thank you so much.

did you know you can easily customize most any laptop? they call them 'skins'.

actually my kids personalized all the laptops in our house with holographic stickers. i've had many compliments on some of their 'work'. lol. (dollar store!) i actually put holographic stickers (butterflies) on my coffee travel mug (thermos brand) and i've had folks asking me where i got it so they could buy one, too.

might be something to keep in mind as an idea - so you can focus on innards (specs) of computer, instead of color.

i've not seen a pink one though - and unlikely to see one for a door buster i would think - because there would be low demand for it. if you go to amazon website and type in laptop skin you'll find all sorts of options. :)

i know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but perhaps it would prove helpful. :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=laptop+skin+pink

is a link to amazon with search of laptop skin pink. saw some very cool ones!! :)

I noticed that the current cheapest 2012 black friday laptops (at Walmart [$179 Compaq] & Best Buy [$187.99 Lenovo]) have the old AMD E-300 [$187.99 Lenovo] and AMD C-60 [$179 Compaq] processors.

I would stay away from those unless you know how to install more memory, turn off Windows services, stop many programs from auto starting, and the like.

The C-60 especially is very weak. It will work for browsing and some light tasks and editing, but not real multi-tasking.

will those be ok for just surfing the net? what about playing games........nothing major just kids' games with Flash on Disney and Nick Jr. type websites.

Thanks so much!!

No, that is not the correct laptop.

The $179 Walmart laptop is the CQ58-bf9WM listed here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-Pacific-Blue-15.6-CQ58-bf9WM-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Dual-Core-C-80-Processor-and-Windows-8-Operating-System/21150616

They do have it marked incorrectly by the way. The processor is an AMD C-60. Not C-80 as they list in the title.

The AMD C-60 is a pretty weak performer. Way below the AMD E-300 even.