Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread

Brad

What do you think about the camera Sam's Club will be selling on Black Friday, Olympus SP-610UZ 14MP 22x Long Zoom Digital Camera Bundle for $149.88? Does anyone have an Olympus? I really want to get a DSLR but there is no way I can afford it now. I want at least a 20x zoom. I plan to take indoor and outdoor photos and for our vacation to Disney and Universal next year.

It doesn't seem like it's that great. It's "cheap" meaning the casing feels cheap. On the plus side it uses AA batteries so it's easy to just pop in new batteries, but the battery casing apparently the batteries pop right out when you're changing them - something to be careful about. The flash is manual - you will need to open the flash yourself, it will not automatically pop open.

Because it's a cheaper, budget camera, there are definitely compromises made in the image quality also. you might not notice it if you're just taking pictures to post online or make small prints. It is NOT good at night. Probably means it's not good indoors either in poor lighting. It's fine outside. But don't expect to be able to make huge prints and in full size your images won't look spectacular.

It's an acceptable budget camera. It's nowhere near DSLR quality. I'd have a hard time recommending it though. Indoor photos aren't going to be good... and you take a lot of photos at night at Disneyworld/Universal... I'd look elsewhere.

Read this:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_sp_610uz_review/

This is where I pulled a lot of the info about this camera.

What do you think about the camera Sam's Club will be selling on Black Friday, Olympus SP-610UZ 14MP 22x Long Zoom Digital Camera Bundle for $149.88? Does anyone have an Olympus? I really want to get a DSLR but there is no way I can afford it now. I want at least a 20x zoom. I plan to take indoor and outdoor photos and for our vacation to Disney and Universal next year.

Have an olympus and their lenses are good quality, not familiar with the model though. I have a DSLR, the Pen EPL-1, it's a small DSLR but it takes awesome photos, for long range I would definitely hold out for a good DSLR. Look for some reviews on the model though if that's the budget you have to work with and see if they can assist for what you are looking for.

What's the lens in the AAFES? Is it an extra lens? They all come with a basic lens (18-55mm.) The bag you can get anywhere, and it's probably a better idea to get a bag you want - I don't like those freebie bags. The Nikon D5100 is actually a slight step up from entry level.

I actually don't like the T3 - I'd rather spend the money on the T3i, I just like the specs on that camera better (while the MP isn't a huge concern, shooting in live view could be useful.) It also has the larger screen on the back, and it is multi angle which could be helpful when shooting video. (In HD!)

The T3 (1100D) is more of a Sub-Rebel, it replaces the old XS series. If you can't afford the T3i or even the older T2i (which is still better than the T3), look at Canon's Loyalty Program for even cheaper refurbished models. :D

I am overwhelmed by the cameras!! I would like a new one as my old one is somewhere at my old (radiated) place. I am using my HD cell phone camera which is nice but I would like a nice digital camera again.

Am I better off getting one here in Japan or are the deals for BF too good to pass up? (mind you the yen is strong so it's like getting a 23% discount on the USA price)

Johnny, what size camera do you want? Point and shoot? DSLR? Inbetween?

Do you want to take HD video?

Do you need a lot of zoom?

What is your price target?

- A camera that is your standard size nothing large. Not sure what point and shoot is. :(

- No my cell phone takes HD video so no need for HD video but not opposed to getting one with HD video.

- Zoom just standard is Ok

- Price range? Well a good camera here in Japan runs me about 7900 yen.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4960759128843

I was unsure if I can get a better deal on BF (also the yen is stronger ) and if so what is a good one to get.

I am overwhelmed by the cameras!! I would like a new one as my old one is somewhere at my old (radiated) place. I am using my HD cell phone camera which is nice but I would like a nice digital camera again.

Am I better off getting one here in Japan or are the deals for BF too good to pass up? (mind you the yen is strong so it's like getting a 23% discount on the USA price)

Are you wanting something pocket size? My son's little Nikon 4100 fits in a shirt pocket , there is a new version, I think S6100 that is getting good reviews, he is wanting to move to a more bridge type camera and is asking for the Nikon L120, looks more like an SLR but isn't, about $250 here in the us, good zoom, still struggles a bit in low light but a friend of his has it and it photographs well for sports, cosplay at anime conventions etc.

the s6100 is on sale at officemax with 4gb card and case for 119.99 on BF, not sure how that converts for you JLR. It's 1 of 2 I'm considering for parents. Point and shoot just means the camera does most of the work for you compared to a DSLR which can be put on manual for you to control everything and get a greater range of photography. Quick/slow shutter speeds Fstops etc.

Which is the better of these two: Panasonic Lumix fh25(bjs bundle 99.99) or Nikon Coolpix s6100 (office max bundle 119.99)? Keep in mind this for my parents who are just about capable of using a point and shoot nothing too fancy.

I'd get them the Panasonic - I think it has the better lens. The NIKKOR lens is nice, but I think the touch screen on that camera will lend to more problems. Better to keep it simple.

I'd get them the Panasonic - I think it has the better lens. The NIKKOR lens is nice, but I think the touch screen on that camera will lend to more problems. Better to keep it simple.

Thanks, that makes life a little easier since I can order on Wednesday online:)

- A camera that is your standard size nothing large. Not sure what point and shoot is. :(

- No my cell phone takes HD video so no need for HD video but not opposed to getting one with HD video.

- Zoom just standard is Ok

- Price range? Well a good camera here in Japan runs me about 7900 yen.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4960759128843

I was unsure if I can get a better deal on BF (also the yen is stronger ) and if so what is a good one to get.

So 7900 yen comes out to about 100 dollars American. The Panasonic Lumix that tinkrbel mentions is a decent deal. That being said, I'd almost rather get the camera in Japan, I think they have cooler stuff.

Actually I kinda like this Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS. Seems like a good package in the size (129.99 at office max, not a great deal). The 300 HS is a really thin camera - great for pocket sized, full HD video. It's only 150 on amazon for the black one, because there is a new model coming out.

That being said, I'd almost rather get the camera in Japan, I think they have cooler stuff.

If the price is not much difference I might do that. I can handle the instructions being in Japanese maybe.. My TV I scored on Lucky Bag day I still can't figure out how to remove the blinking email icon when I turn on the TV. LOL

Is the camera on my link above a good one?

I am looking to get my husband a Pantex DSLR for Xmas. He wants a Pantex because he has several lenses that his mother gave him before she passed. He told me to get him the k-x, but it seems the k-r is a more popular model. Any thoughts? I am looking to spend somewhere in the $500 range. The only DSLRs I know about are Nikons. Thanks!

I am looking to get my husband a Pantex DSLR for Xmas. He wants a Pantex because he has several lenses that his mother gave him before she passed. He told me to get him the k-x, but it seems the k-r is a more popular model. Any thoughts? I am looking to spend somewhere in the $500 range. The only DSLRs I know about are Nikons. Thanks!

Check to make sure the lenses will fit a new DSLR. My dad had an old cool Canon camera and still had the lenses, but they don't fit on my DSLR unless I buy an adapter.

EDIT: Poked around. Pentax doesn't make the K-X anymore. They make the K-R and the K-5. Both good if you are more of the "outdoor" photographer and need a camera that can handle the elements. It's not going to be easy to find the K-X for $500 unless you can find it used. It seems like it's around 600 and anytime I see a lower price I get suspicious. The K-5 is almost $1,000. THe K-R is 600ish on amazon from a third party seller.

If the price is not much difference I might do that. I can handle the instructions being in Japanese maybe.. My TV I scored on Lucky Bag day I still can't figure out how to remove the blinking email icon when I turn on the TV. LOL

Is the camera on my link above a good one?

It's allright. It's super slim, and there are some compromises made for the size. It's not that great in low light (most cheap cameras aren't). It seems like because of the size, it's easy for your hand to shake when you are taking the picture, leading to shaky images, and apparently it's worse when you are zoomed in.

For the price it's ok, but I think it's cheaper in the US - 89 on Amazon.

why do you suppose there are NO Nikon d-slr cameras on sale for BF, the only good deal I see is from BJ's and since I am not a member, not really a good deal. And the only other offering is the Nikon w/o an extra VR lens. Is Canon that much better, or do people just buy Canon because of their name.

Canon and Nikon are on the same level, quality-wise, for their DSLR cameras. I can't say for sure why there aren't any good deals on Nikon, but it probably has to do with the incentives the manufacturers were willing or able to offer to the stores. Is there a reason you're looking to go Nikon or are you just trying to find a good DSLR package?

Ok, now that the camera ads are mostly all out, what should I get? I was an easy-to-use p & S where I don't need to adjust anything. I want to put it in a pocket, grab it quickly when the kids are being cute and quickly shoot pics. I want the best picture quality I can for a small p & s with a 150 budget. Here are the ones I am considering:

Cannon Elph 100, Cannon Elph 300, Casio TRYX, and Sony w530 and w570.

What do you guys think?

I'd get the Canon Elph 300. IF you can handle the size - it's really small, and for some people, the size is nice, but it's not easy to hold when taking pictures. I'd go to the store and hold both cameras and see which one feels better for you.

Just learn how to use your camera effectively, and with any camera, you can get great pics.

HELP! I'm a complete dolt when it comes to cameras. Any suggestions on a model that would be good for me?

I'm not the kind of person who carries one everywhere and has millions of pictures. I bring my camera almost exclusively when I travel. As I go to cooler places, I keep wanting to decorate with my pictures. I've been blowing some of the winners up and putting them on canvas but my current camera was $40 several years ago so they're not of the best quality. I definitely need something with a decent zoom etc. but something that can definitely fit in my pocket. I should probably look into one that has the feature that makes the pictures not crooked.... I definitely need that sometimes. :blush: Just as long as it's an option and not something automatic. Oh and I almost never take people shots so really don't need anything for red eye or anything like that.

Check to make sure the lenses will fit a new DSLR. My dad had an old cool Canon camera and still had the lenses, but they don't fit on my DSLR unless I buy an adapter.

EDIT: Poked around. Pentax doesn't make the K-X anymore. They make the K-R and the K-5. Both good if you are more of the "outdoor" photographer and need a camera that can handle the elements. It's not going to be easy to find the K-X for $500 unless you can find it used. It seems like it's around 600 and anytime I see a lower price I get suspicious. The K-5 is almost $1,000. THe K-R is 600ish on amazon from a third party seller.

Thanks for the heads up on them not making the K-X anymore. I had him look at the K-R and he has decided that is the one he wants. They make a mounting bracket that will allow him to use his Mom's old lenses. :) I found the black K-R online and at a camera shop that I am familiar with in OCNJ for $525. He likes the white one tho...but it's about $100 more...decisions, decisions...

ok which is the better camera- the one in the target ad for $99 or the one in the walmart ad for $159 I believe it is. Ones a nikon and the other is a fuji. I'm looking for fast shutter speed and zoom. Those are my top 2 things. I got a 5x sony and it's shutter speed stinks and zoom is terrible. I use it mainly for kids pics. Also, if I can't score the target camera, will it be available online? Walmart is my first store to hit, the toys r us, then target. I don't have a credit card for online use yet so if it is I will buy one. When does target usually list their cameras available online? And how does it work? Will they sell out before I can purchase? Thanks.

HELP! I'm a complete dolt when it comes to cameras. Any suggestions on a model that would be good for me?

I'm not the kind of person who carries one everywhere and has millions of pictures. I bring my camera almost exclusively when I travel. As I go to cooler places, I keep wanting to decorate with my pictures. I've been blowing some of the winners up and putting them on canvas but my current camera was $40 several years ago so they're not of the best quality. I definitely need something with a decent zoom etc. but something that can definitely fit in my pocket. I should probably look into one that has the feature that makes the pictures not crooked.... I definitely need that sometimes. :blush: Just as long as it's an option and not something automatic. Oh and I almost never take people shots so really don't need anything for red eye or anything like that.

The Nikon Coolpix S8100 will be $149.99 at Best Buy and it looks like a great option for you. It's compact (pocket sized), but has a 12x zoom. The quality of the camera will be very good, as well. Most pocket-sized cameras right now have a max 5x optical zoom.