How Do You Cook Your Turkey? Tips, Etc.

tn20

tn20

can you please post the receipe ; for a to-die-for Bourbon-Gingersnap ham,

Of course! This is SO good!!! We saw someone make it on tv years ago and it is our family's favorite!

Ingredients Needed:

1 bone-in ham, you can use the ham butt or thigh (shank?) portion- we always use the thigh

1/4 cup brown mustard

2 cups DARK brown sugar (you need the additional molasses, so don't use light brown sugar!)

1 oz Bourbon, put in a spritzer bottle

2 cups of Gingersnap cookies, put through a food processor, blender, etc. to crush

Utensils Needed:

Digital thermometer

Roasting pan

Utility Knife (Unused- like you get for $2 at the hardware store)

Tongs, if you have them are helpful

A basting brush is too

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F

2. Remove ham from bag, take your utility knife and set the blade to the lowest setting. Then score the ham all the way around going at a diagonally in one direction. Then repeat going the other direction to get a "diamond" pattern on the surface of the ham. You are trying to cut through the skin and fat layers just below it.

3. Insert the digital thermometer into the deepest part of the meat, put a foil tent on the ham, and put it into the oven until it hits 130 degrees.

4. Take the ham out of the oven and pull the skin off (use tongs if you have them) along with any fat that comes off with the skin.

5. Heat your oven to 350 degrees.

6. Take paper towels or napkins and dab the outside of the meat to help remove some of the liquid fat.

7. Take the brown mustard and brush it all over the ham.

8. Put the brown sugar on the mustard, kind of patting it on to get it to stay.

9. Spray your bourbon onto the brown sugar layer.

10. Take your gingersnap cookies and pat on as many of them as you can get to stick. This is the big key ingredient, so make sure you get the thickest layer you can on there.

11. Insert the thermometer into a new place in the thickest part of the meat.

12. Return to the oven with no foil tent this time.

13. Cook until your thermometer reaches 140 degrees.

14. Take out and let it rest for about 30 minutes before carving it up.

I promise, you will NOT be disapointed with this ham! We have several family members who don't care for ham, but beg us to make it every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

cute story - nothing really to do with the recipe

when my son was about four, my husband took him Christmas shopping to pick me out something. He picked out a turkey baster. He was so proud and happy Christmas day when I opened it because he absolutely knew I would need it. Makes me teary eyed thinking about it-it was so sweet of him to think of something he knew that I would use and need.

That is SO sweet!

It reminds me of my DS7 last year. His school has a Santa Shop the last week of school before Christmas break where kids can bring their money in and pick out gifts for their loved ones. Well, I am always looking for a pen and can never seem to find one. DS came home and was so excited about his present for me that I had to keep stopping him from telling me what it was. Christmas morning I open my gift and find a bright pink (my favorite color) pen that says Mom on the side. It is one of my most prized posessions and I only use it for special occasions because I don't want the ink to run out.

Several years ago I told my mom I was going to try my hand at making the turkey for Thanksgiving. At the time my aunt said, "So Jerica is making the turkey. Sis, you are having ham too as a back up right?" Thanks for the vote of confidence! Anyway, I wanted to prove to her I could do it. I watched food network and any other cooking shows I could find, poured over cook books and drove myself nuts.

I took different parts from several recipes. I brine my turkey for 24 hours before I cook it (like Alton). My brine contains sugar, salt, herbs, lemons, onion and orange and apple juice (like one of Emeril's recipes). Before the turkey goes in the pan I stuff the cavity with rosemary, sage, thyme, and orange and apple slices. It lays in the pan on a bed of carrots, celery stalks, and onions. I cover it with cheese cloth that has been soaked in a mixture of half white wine half melted butter (tip from Miss Martha Stewart). I cook it at a really high heat to start with and then lower the temperature after 45 minutes (several recipes suggested this). Since I usually do a really big bird I usually pour some more of the butter/wine mixture over the bird about once an hour. When it is 10* from final temp I pull it from the oven and tent it with aluminum foil. As soon as the foil is on we take off to Mom & Dad's. By the time we get there the turkey has had plenty of time for the meat to rest so the juices redistribute. There is never any turkey left. Last year I took 2 turkeys just so Mom and I could have some left overs to split. Even with two turkeys there were still no left overs!!!

I rub extra virgin olive oil under skin on the breast so it stays nice and moist, then on the outside i rub sea salt, fresh ground pepper, italian seasonings and put lots of butter (the butter really makes it brown up super nice). I let the turkey brown, then turn down, cover with foil till done. I do baste the bird the whole time it cooks - I probably don't have to - but its tradition!! I also ad some of the drippings to my dressing before I bake it. We don't stuff our bird because we all like the crunchy top - I have gotten so I make 2 shallow pans of stuffing and bake them so there is more crunchy for everyone! YUM!!

Isn't it sweet when you know they are listening and noticing things like that!! It makes the gift so special.

That is SO sweet!

It reminds me of my DS7 last year. His school has a Santa Shop the last week of school before Christmas break where kids can bring their money in and pick out gifts for their loved ones. Well, I am always looking for a pen and can never seem to find one. DS came home and was so excited about his present for me that I had to keep stopping him from telling me what it was. Christmas morning I open my gift and find a bright pink (my favorite color) pen that says Mom on the side. It is one of my most prized posessions and I only use it for special occasions because I don't want the ink to run out.

Easy baked turkey

turkey any size

3 celery stalks

1 lg. onion

1 whole apple

1 qt. of hot water

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 475 degree the night before, around 9 or 10 pm.

place turkey in roaster. Stick apple, celery and onion up his tail...... salt and pepper the boy. Pour the hot water in pan. Put lid on and bake for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!!!!!! After cooking for an hour turn stove off and go to bed. Do not open stove!!!!!! Leave Tom in there to slowly cook all night. The heat in the stove will continue to cook him while you sleep. In the morning turkey is done and very moist.You will have plenty of broth for dressing and gravy. I reheat for about 30 mins. b4 lunch.

Remember..... do not open the stove!!!!!!!!

I use a 16 lb. turkey

Easy baked turkey

turkey any size

3 celery stalks

1 lg. onion

1 whole apple

1 qt. of hot water

salt and pepper to taste

place turkey in roaster. Stick apple, celery and onion up his tail...... salt and pepper the boy. Pour the hot water in pan. Put lid on and bake for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!!!!!! After cooking for an hour turn stove off and go to bed. Do not open stove!!!!!! Leave Tom in there to slowly cook all night. The heat in the stove will continue to cook him while you sleep. In the morning turkey is done and very moist.You will have plenty of broth for dressing and gravy. I reheat for about 30 mins. b4 lunch.

I use a 16 lb. turkey

I'm not an expert by any means so I'm not sure if I understand this...won't the temperature drop to low at some point and the turkey just sit there growing bacteria?

I'm not an expert by any means so I'm not sure if I understand this...won't the temperature drop to low at some point and the turkey just sit there growing bacteria?

when you heat your oven up to such a high temp, it takes a long time for it to cool off. if you dont open the oven door. by the time the temp in the oven drops to even say around 300 the bird will have been in the oven for atleast 3 or 4 hours. But then again this all varies by oven.

Our entire family LOVES deep fried turkey. My aunt and uncle have the fryer and cook one for everyone. My husband and I always prepare our own and they deepfry it for us after the main turkey is finished. This is the recipe I got from my aunt:

Make a seasoning with these ingredients:

2 Tbs. garlic powder

4 tsp. seasoning salt

2 tsp. poultry seasoning

2 tsp. paprika

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

You mix these ingredients together and rub onto the (defrosted) turkey well (make sure to get it between the legs and wings too).

Then you put a bottle of Liquid Smoke "into the turkey" with an injector needle thing (whatever they're called). You inject the LS into the meat of the turkey.

Then they deep-fry the turkey in peanut oil. YUMMY!!

I don't know if I can wait another week for some turkey myself. :2letseat:

when you heat your oven up to such a high temp, it takes a long time for it to cool off. if you dont open the oven door. by the time the temp in the oven drops to even say around 300 the bird will have been in the oven for atleast 3 or 4 hours. But then again this all varies by oven.

If you dont open the oven it holds the heat in. I have been doing this since 1982 and no one has gotten sick.

Have passed this recipe on to co workers through the years and they use it also. Its kinda like slow cooking something.

Gives me the use of my oven for other things.

If you dont open the oven it holds the heat in. I have been doing this since 1982 and no one has gotten sick.

Have passed this recipe on to co workers through the years and they use it also. Its kinda like slow cooking something.

Gives me the use of my oven for other things.

Don't get me wrong...I think it sounds like a wonderful idea!! and super easy, I just wondered how it could keep at the right temp overnight. I could see it for a few hours but overnight seemed like a long time.

I may have to experiment with my oven a bit. :)

Okay...so I'm a bit nervous, as I've never cooked a whole turkey before. Only a turkey breast.

We have a 16lb turkey. How long should it cook for? Trying to figure out if I should wake up early to ensure it's cooked in time.

We're eating at 4. Everything I've read says it'll take about 4 hours to cook. Is this about right?

I have found the fool proof way to cook a turkey. I call my younger brother and ask him if he can smoke mine while he is doing one for my mother (he is her healthcare companion). The one we got last weekend was falling off the bone good. And this morning he called and informed me that another one is ready (didn't have to ask or provide the turkey...). Will be picking it up tomorrow when I go to feed their cats. It's kind of like magic. I wished for another one to my kids and voila, it's ready!!!

Too late for this year, unless one is doing a turkey for Chr-stmas, but I brine my bird for 24 hours using Emeril's recipe, than roast following Alton Brown's Good Eats recipe.

I deep fried a turkey for years and love them. But once in the oven, the Good Eats bird takes two and a half hours (I do a 15 pounder) and it is the best turkey I've ever had. I've been doing it this way for about five years now.

Too late for this year, unless one is doing a turkey for Chr-stmas, but I brine my bird for 24 hours using Emeril's recipe, than roast following Alton Brown's Good Eats recipe.

I deep fried a turkey for years and love them. But once in the oven, the Good Eats bird takes two and a half hours (I do a 15 pounder) and it is the best turkey I've ever had. I've been doing it this way for about five years now.

Welcome Home we have all missed you

Easy baked turkey

turkey any size

3 celery stalks

1 lg. onion

1 whole apple

1 qt. of hot water

salt and pepper to taste

I use a 16 lb. turkey

I tried this (kinda) :)

At 7am I put the turkey (covered in vegtable oil) in the oven at 475 for 1 hour. Then turned the oven off.

At 3:30pm I checked it and it seemed done so I took the cover off and baked it for about an hour to brown it more.

At 4:30 I checked it's temp just to make sure and it was done. I took it out and let it rest while I finished up the other food then carved it.

We were able to eat at 5:00 like I had planned.

This was SO easy!!

I will do it like this again for sure.

I tried this (kinda) :)

At 7am I put the turkey (covered in vegtable oil) in the oven at 475 for 1 hour. Then turned the oven off.

At 3:30pm I checked it and it seemed done so I took the cover off and baked it for about an hour to brown it more.

At 4:30 I checked it's temp just to make sure and it was done. I took it out and let it rest while I finished up the other food then carved it.

We were able to eat at 5:00 like I had planned.

This was SO easy!!

I will do it like this again for sure.

It was very moist wasnt it. I can add another year of no fuss turkey under my belt. Mine came out great again. Glad you enjoyed the recipe.:)

• 3 weeks later...