Teachers what do you want

allshoppedout

I put ** by my questions because they are all over the place :)

I was hoping some teachers that are Gotta-dealers would respond to this thread...

There is a LANDs END Medium size canvas TOTE available, it has re-inforced seams and handles & stands up --that is doesn't fall over when you empty it....

**IS THIS SOMETHING YOU'D WANT? or Do you already have too many bags?

I have alot of people to buy for and I want to spend my money to get something useful for the teacher not something that'll end up in a trash bin in 3 weeks....

Also I feel odd giving it empty......but don't really have money to FILL it, **I mean maybe I could put 1 thing in it, but WHAT? Suggestions?

I'd also like to know from teachers/para professionals :

**What was your best gift you got that was "expensive" from parents/students?

**How about best stocking stuffer from parents/student?

**Best Medium-priced gift you ever received from parents/student?

and if you wish to answer-- **WHAT Should I NEVER buy A TEACHER?

One of the best gifts I received from a parent/student was 3 holiday handtowels. I have received paper, pens, mugs, lotion, candy, ornaments and candles...I have loved each and every thing that was given as it was the thought that mattered. One year a student who was very poor wrote me a nice note. I still have the note and it meant more to me than any presents. The lotion came with a poem about helping hands and was a small bottle but that was nice. Most of us that teach really don't expect gifts it's the thought that counts. Hope this helps.

One of the best gifts I received from a parent/student was 3 holiday handtowels. I have received paper, pens, mugs, lotion, candy, ornaments and candles...I have loved each and every thing that was given as it was the thought that mattered. One year a student who was very poor wrote me a nice note. I still have the note and it meant more to me than any presents. The lotion came with a poem about helping hands and was a small bottle but that was nice. Most of us that teach really don't expect gifts it's the thought that counts. Hope this helps.

It does help, and it is quite wonderful that you feel that way. My son LOVES to make the teacher a special card :) he really likes giving them a photo as well. He is at a new school this year and it was a tough transition at the beginning. These ladies have helped him ALOT and I want them to think I thought about their presents, that WE care and appreciate all their effort, support and help..

(didn't want to get them their 46th, You're a #1 Teacher mug~ I mean considering all the papers/stuff they have to manage all the time, I don't want to add to the clutter.;) )

Thanks Again

I appreciate your sense of humor, but I have to ask, because there are all kinds in the world, did you actually see a teacher receive those for a gift? :shock:

no... it was just the ... most appropriate of all the nasty silly things running through my head :)

we usually give baskets of school supplies... :)

I really enjoy Bath and Body Works, especially the anti-bacterial line. (Think H1N1.....we are begging for the stuff!!!)

Most expensive gift- $25.00 gift certificate to Outback

Medium- Yankee candles

I have gotten some very touching presents over the years. Homemade gifts, baked goods, flowers, etc. I teach middle school and many of the students tell me that they picked out the item themselves.

What not to buy.......Instead of coffee mugs, maybe travel mugs instead. I drink coffee all day so I have gotten many. One year I received a basket of coffee flavored items that were not coffee. Like candy, a candle, etc. It was really cute!!

Really we like ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! I like the idea of school supplies. We use Expo markers a lot. Those things are pricey when bought in bulk.

Thanks for thinking of us!!!!

NO MUGS!!!

a really nice bag is nice

gift certs to book stores, coffee shops, toys r us, etc are good

NICE hand santizer (like above, think Bath and Body...stuff for teacher, not classroom)

books for the class

art supplies

movies for the class

candies only if you KNOW it is something they like (like you always see a Hershey bar on their desk, then that would be good, etc)

honestly, it IS the thought that counts though

On another board I read a thread where a few teachers said they get gas cards (gas station gift card) and they loved it.

My kids are still in grade school and the classroom book orders that come home in Nov and Dec alway have an option to buy the teacher a certificate for a book order. I usually just order the certificate for them which lets them pick out a book for their classroom.

I find most of our teachers want something personal (a note, a photo from the class, something like that) and then cold, hard cash! I taught preschool for a few years and cash or GCs were always the most appreciated. However, like others have said, personal notes and photos always warm the heart.

I plan to give my daughter's 2nd grade teacher a LE tote ($12 yesterday!) filled with a GC, cookies, and maybe even some wine. :) My son's preschool class is going together to give the teachers GCs to the mall ($100 to each teacher). I also give extra classroom supplies to the teachers around the first of the year because I know it helps start the year off right!

Want: Teacher supply store (not Staples or Office Max, a local one with teacher stuff, not just office stuff) or a local restaurant gift certificate.

Best gift ever: A handwritten card from a developmentally challenged high school sophomore with the IQ of a five year old. He wrote out Merry Christmas and his name. I cried. Second best: Fuzzy dice paperweights. They are so tacky, it makes them awesome.

Worst gift ever: A box of chocolates, that had been opened and one was missing.

What not to give: Candles (get them every year), anything apple themed (once redid my kitchen in apples because I had so much stuff).

I think a tote bag would be very nice, as she could use it for school or home (especially if she has kids of her own!)... To put in it, how about a magazine: something age-appropriate, either teacher-related or just for personal down-time-- plus a certificate for a year's subscription to the magazine? I don't know if there's somewhere online where you can order one but let the recipient send in the address info later, but if not you could get a money order for the amount of the subscription and put it and the subscription card in a stamped envelope addressed to the publisher, with a sticky note on the outside, instructing the teacher to fill in her address and pop it in the mail!

Or how about one or two cheap romantic comedy DVDs (from BF sale) or DVDs of classic "I Love Lucy" episodes, and possibly a 3-month Netflix subscription (with a note that she can use it now or save it for her summer break)?

If you want to go the direction of buying school supplies, I'm sure they'd be appreciated... but I'd suggest balancing them out with some things more for her than the classroom, like a nice stationery set or a small manicure set.

(FYI, I'm not a teacher but my niece is, and I know these are things she'd enjoy! :))

Not a teacher but last year I gave 4 of DS' teachers Tervis Tumblers and they all LOVED them!!! I was told that they went everywhere with them. I walk by each of their classrooms today and I still see them using them!! I got the 24oz one with the lid and straw and then filled it with candy and a small gift card. It was very cute and very well received.

Allshoppedout, I love the tote bag idea. I can never have enough of them. They wear out after a while, too. A Land's End one might never wear out.

I love ornaments from kids. I can look at each ornament and remember each kid believe it or not. One parent who didn't have a lot of money put me together a basket with basic supplies (paper clips, post it notes, etc). She didn't spend any more than $10 and it was one of my best presents to date.