Giveaways and freebies

phrogxix

These seem to have gone the way of the dodo, but does anybody remember the good ol' BFs when it seemed like every store was giving you something just for walking in or included just for making ANY purchase? Now it seems like if there are any freebies or giveaways, and they are scant, are tied to a big ticket item. I understand why, I'm sure plenty of folks just did "free stuff" runs, but what was your favorite giveaway or freebie on BF? Was it tied to a specific purchase, given away for just making any purchase, or just there for showing up?

I remember a looooooong time ago, maybe 10 years or so, Target gave out the cutest little bag with a snowman on it. I don't remember what was in it. OAN: I always go to VS or Bath and Body Works on BF and even though you have to spend $60 or so, they give out bags with samples and stuff in it. The bag I got from B&BW last year had full size samples in it!

we always stop at penney's. I remember the target bags too. I think they did it a few years, I remember the snowman bag but I also remember one that zipped up into a pouch (maybe the same one). About 6 years ago we had a new shopping center with BB and Target and they both had free goodies that year, BB was just coupons and a snack maybe I think? Sports Authority had scratch offs w/chance to win a GC last year I think but just got a coupon I didn't use.

You don't have to go back 10 years. Back in 2004, Sears gave out $10 gift cards(the conj mentioned above) every Saturday for a month if I remember correctly. You had to be one of the first 50 or 100 people in each store. So we would get two, one for me and one for the wife. It adds up quick. The cool part is my wife signed up for gift card giveaways. They were for each department, such as $50 in homeware, $20 in boys clothing and maybe $250 in Electronics/ Appliances. My wife won the grand prize drawing for a $500 GC to be used ANYWHERE in the store. We ended up using the $500 and the smaller $10(7, I think) gift cards on a 51 inch HDTV. $570 dollars for free was great!:D

the snowglobes--- do they give them out 1st thing when you walk in? do u have to make a purchase? and how long do they last?

In my experiences, they have had a table of them set up in each entrance. They are small globes, not full sized. I have gotten them a couple hours after opening, and I have had them run out before I made it there early on. Different stores in different towns also, so I think most will also have different experiences.

• 1 month later...

I used to like the boxes of Cracker Jacks that had coupons for either a % off or free gift... one woman won a Diamond Necklace one year - it was so much fun! (Plus it kept the kids quiet for a while as they ate the Cracker Jacks!) ;)

That was Proffitts! I loved them! Those cracker jacks would be my breakfast on BF morning!

I remember one year, someone gave away little chocolate bars with a coupon on the wrapper. And Sam's has given out doughnuts and coffee before.

But the first BF riot I ever witness was at Target, many years ago, when they gave out little matchbox like cars to the first 100 or so people. Only they failed to mention there was a limit of how many they had and people got into a fight over those little cars!

I do get JCPenney's snowglobe every year. I remember the Sears' GC, our Belk gave out GC's last year and everyone in our family got one, B&BW totes, and around here our Big Lots' gave a "freebie" on Thanksgiving and BF. The Big Lots freebie was usually something like a small stereo and I think one year it was a VCR, man that was a few years ago, though, lol.

There used to be a mall in the area that has since gone under. They were the best place to go on BF. The info desk would give away coupons and free ornaments. Plus, they had stores like Mervyn's and Montgomery Ward which also had a lot of freebies and good deals.

Not too many places like that anymore. I may try to get the snowglobe at Penney's. Haven't decided yet.

My favorite will always be the $300 I won at Sports Authority last year. I went in for the BOGO1/2 on socks of all things. I needed them for my running/upcoming marathon. I was just hoping for a $10 gift card since the amounts were between $10 - $300. $10 would have paid for my socks. $300 paid for sooooo much more. :eyepoppin

Well, it's not a 'freebie' per say, but in Rite Aids' ad there is the Soleil Shaver's on sale for $5.99, and then it says there's a $4 off Rite Aid Coupon. Well if you got the coupon inserts this past weekend, there was a MFG coupon for $2 Off, so basically you could get those for free. :)

Ya, I'm stretching here.