As of now, how much do you plan on spending this holiday?

Brad

As of now, how much do you plan on spending this holiday?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. As of now, how much do you plan on spending this holiday?

• approximately the same as previous years
    • slightly less than previous years
    • significantly less than previous years
    • slightly more than previous years
    • significantly more than previous years

Well, earlier in this thread I said I'd spend a little less, mostly because I couldn't think of anything I really wanted (and DH and I spend the most on each other). However, we are now moving and I know I'm going to want new furniture and all the little things that go along with that. So I think I just jumped from "a little less" to "significantly more". I just hope we're settled by Christmas!

Guest BargainCat

significantly less, and on more practical useful items that dont add to the clutter we allready have in our lives. There's nothing most of us really need, and if someone does need something -then in the true spirit of Christmas thats what I am getting them. Im buying gifts thoughtful that match a persons needs and what matters to them. With so many people being laid off and losing jobs, it should be a celebration of people and togetherness - shareing simple times and pleasures - and not an orgy of spending that has to be paid off in installments later - ugh !

In short - Im still buying gifts, just will put more thought than dollars into them

• 3 weeks later...
I voted for about the same. I don't have an exact dollar amount but I always end up with about the same every year. It might be a bit more cause I have a new nephew and niece this year ( but I used to buy the parents gifts when they had no children and this year we are only doing kids )so it ends up about the same. I am however looking for a good deal on netbooks for dh and I:D

I don't think I'm going to the regular store for BF this year.

1. Money is too tight to spend really any money and I'm too afraid will overspend.

2. If my money is this tight many others are in the same situation- not really that fond of getting trompled, shot or stabbed all for the thrill of the hunt.

3. If I do go to BF I might hit the thrift stores that day- but may just stay at home and watch football with the family.

4. The regifting and thrift stores will be my main option this year since our budget besides 2 big items for 2 of the kids will be probably $500 or less. Already told husband that the money his mom gives us for Christmas will all have to go towards the kids. Might try to get him a coffeepot but outside of that- realistically necessities and the smallest Christmas in history for our family is what we are looking at.

I think we can all relate. I'm "hoping" to spend less this year on BF, but knowing myself, I probably won't. One thing I've heard people do is buy a Visa Gift Card with a specific amount on it and use nothing over that gift card. Seems like a cool idea... but I'm not sure I have the will power to stick to just a piece of plastic. :/

• 2 weeks later...
Probably more, about 1000 from now til xmas, but I already have 3 huge boxes of stuff I've been buying since last xmas. I have 8 new family members in the last few years as my two older children got married to people with chilren. I have one boy left at home, i will spend about 300 on him, 100 on each of my married children and buy the 6 kids about 6 or 7 presents apiece.That's not including my sister and brother and parents and grandparents.My husband has been laid off a few weeks, but I opened a xmas club at our bank in Janurary and put 25 out of every paycheck in it.I've got about 850 for black friday. Any presents I buy before then, I'm paying for out of our unemployment checksl

Most likely a little less than previous years. I usually spend around $150 altogether for gifts. This year our family has decided to pull names so that way, we would only buy one gift for the person that we pulled. We also bought a few small toys & games for my younger cousins and I will be making cookie tins for my 3 closest friends(and throw in a small gift).

I am hoping to spend a lot less this year. We usually concentrate on getting things for our kids on Black friday, but this year I want to get things for almost everyone that morning. And then order the rest on the following Monday. Last year we went over board. Correction, my husband went overboard, and we spent the rest of the year regretting it. Especially since he was layed off right after Christmas and is still out of work. Plus we are not hosting Christmas this year so that should save us an easy $500.00 right there.

I always give myself $1,000 to spend on Christmas. This is for my 3 kids, my 2 nephews, 3 nieces and 2 half-brothers and sister, and the inlaws. My SIL and i decided this year to not do presents for the adults(with the exception of the inlaws) due to the fact she is moving from Alaska to Kansas and the plane tickets are coming out of their pockets and that is totally fine with me, I am hoping that the $$ will go farther that way.

I will also get something for my SIL as her bday is also on Christmas Eve, just like me, lol.