Buying a new Mattress

crys

I am in the market for a new mattress and I am clueless on deals. I have a Sam's Club membership and see that they have them.

I am quite intimidated by the crazy, screaming MATTRESS LIQUIDATION commercials I hear on the radio. I am also leary of the homemade signs on the side of the road that say "New and still in plastic".

Any advice on the best way to go? I need a queen mattress and box set. I would also like to buy a twin mattress for a trundle bed too. I am in the Mid Ohio area. I am not looking for a top of the line sleep number thingy. I am looking for middle of the road set that is comfy! ;)

Edited by crys
forgot to mention...

With a mattress you get what you pay for. I wouldn't advise buying any of those that are advertised on telephone poles. The sales at the stores are always the same....never really on sale, always the same price. You will be fine at the middle price range, somewhere in the $800 area would be a beginning point. You really need to lay on the mattress to get an idea if you will be happy with it.

We have a pillow top mattress and like it- ours has it on both sides and they recommended that we flip it periodically and rotate. The pillow has not smooshed down either (we didnt get the super thick pillow top, just moderate). Ours came from Denver Mattress and we have had it several years now, probably paid about $600 for the set?

I have a tempurpedic TYPE mattress I got for $899. Had it 3 years now and still sleeps the same as the first night. No sagging no pressure points. I have wide hips so I was always sore the next morning with a regular matress. Hubby has restless leg syndrome and the chiropractor and our regular Dr. said this type would be best.... And they were right. I couldn't see spending $2000 on a set of tempurpedic name brand, the one I got in the store is the same except the price for a king set was under 900.

That's my input.

I don't think I would recommend a pillow top mattress. You can't flip them. And the pillow sinks no matter what they tell ya.

We also have a double pillow top and can flip both ways. We have a Bemco and it was 500 at our local discount furniture store. My mom only buys Bemco. I have also had Serta and they weren't too bad.

I would check JCPenney and Sears.

We also have two pillow-top mattresses - one we bought at Sleepies (sp?) 8 yrs. ago and the other one I believe was JCPenney (or maybe Sears?) 5 or 6 yrs. ago. Both are still fine. The one from Sleepies has pillow on both sides and the one from JCPenney only on one side (which made it a lot cheaper.)

We also bought dd3 bed and a twin matress from JCPenney about a year ago and I remember their prices were unbelievable. I do remember they had some kind of a special sale at the time but they really have some nice stuff on-line. We just ordered it and had it all delivered for in-store pick-up and everything looked in person just like it did on their website.