Cruddy Christmas Gifts

Finnegan

My most questionable gift was from my great aunt when I was 15. She got me a black sweatshirt from K-mart with a rooster on the front! I just about died. After that year she just got us packages of socks for Christmas. Ya gotta love her.

My husband's aunt one year got a toliet seat from her sister. Yes, a real one. This is even more funny if you knew his aunt. She lives in a beautiful house, wears designer clothes, and has everything top of the line. She also is very prim and proper and never talks about bodily functions. She was mordified by the gift. Everyone on our side of the family still giggles over the gift, but never mentions it in front of her.

I can't really complain about crappy gifts. My extended family is very poor and they are really sweet despite their finances. I know that when we go to Christmas at my Aunt's house, she tries to get everyone something. Although most of the time, it isn't something I would have picked out myself, it always makes me feel good to know that she thinks enough of me to show she loves me. She got me Gardenia hand lotion that was really fragrant! She knows that I love Bath and Body Works so I am sure she thought I would love it. While I do not like Gardenia, I know that she thought it would be perfect. I love that woman!

I can't really complain about crappy gifts. My extended family is very poor and they are really sweet despite their finances. I know that when we go to Christmas at my Aunt's house, she tries to get everyone something. Although most of the time, it isn't something I would have picked out myself, it always makes me feel good to know that she thinks enough of me to show she loves me. She got me Gardenia hand lotion that was really fragrant! She knows that I love Bath and Body Works so I am sure she thought I would love it. While I do not like Gardenia, I know that she thought it would be perfect. I love that woman!

I love your attitude.

Aww, thats really sweet. :)

My most questionable gift was from my great aunt when I was 15. She got me a black sweatshirt from K-mart with a rooster on the front! I just about died. After that year she just got us packages of socks for Christmas. Ya gotta love her.

My husband's aunt one year got a toliet seat from her sister. Yes, a real one. This is even more funny if you knew his aunt. She lives in a beautiful house, wears designer clothes, and has everything top of the line. She also is very prim and proper and never talks about bodily functions. She was mordified by the gift. Everyone on our side of the family still giggles over the gift, but never mentions it in front of her.

LMAO.. sounds like a hoot! :D

My cruddiest gifts would have to be from my boyfriend's mom...for the 13 1/2 years we have been together his mom has always given me 3 items from the dollar tree with the $1.00 price tag still on & they are always Christmas decorations then when she comes to visit the next year she always looks around to see if they are up and acts offended if they are not. But what takes the cake is when she gave me a cheapie jewelry box one year for my b-day in May then when we moved I had left it in a shared storage facility ....well guess what I received for Christmas that year..yep,the same exact box that already belonged to me:tongue1:

Through a white elephant exchange with DH's family, the limit was supposed to be $25. While I brought a martini gift set w/ shaker, glasses and the works, I got a Hershey's cocoa pot, two mugs and two packs of cocoa. I didn't even know such thing existed. It became such a joke in my house and I couldn't even sell it at my rummage sale. I ended up giving it to Goodwill.

I love reading this thread. Now I know I'm not alone in receiving the crap gifts. First was when I was about 9 or 10 and ALL I got in my stocking were socks, no toys, socks. Funny thing, now my daughter loves getting novelty cute socks in her stocking. My first year married my aunt gave me and my husband a can of off-brand peanuts wrapped in aluminum foil. The next year was a cheap bottle of mad dog liqour again in the aluminum foil. The next year we got hand towels with crocheted edges and the towels said "Hampton Inn" on them. :eek: The last year was this most ugliest red "little" apron, so when my cousin, her granddaughter got engaged I re-gifted the apron to her. Told her the story and how now it's a family heirloom. And I still have those towels.

My MIL is the queen of bad gifts. She buys or regifts whatever she can- never thinks of who she is giving it to.

Last year for Christmas she gave me and dh a joint gift of an inflatable shower. Not sure what we were supposed to do w/ it- as yes we do have indoor plumbing these days.

A few years a go she gave me 1/2 a pack of childrens socks. They were a pack of 6 athletic socks for girls. She removed 3 and taped the package back shut and gave me the other 3. She also gave me a used hair dryer stand crusted in old hairspray. She told me she used to use it because her arms would hurt from holding the dryer- but she got a new one. So, she packaged back up the old one and gave it to me for Christmas. She gave my son when he was 12 a toy that was for a toddler. It was a fisher price toy truck. Also, she gave me "sticker earrings" from a vending machine one year. Now, it's not about the money, as she has no problem dropping $500 on a sports card for her boyfriend for Christmas- she's just always been really cheap w/ us.

I know one year she asked what we wanted and we told her new bakeware. She bought us 2 disposable aluminum cookie sheets and a disposable aluminum roasting pan.

The best though was the broken christmas decoration from the Dollar General. I thought at first she didn't know- but then there was a piece of paper taped to the box stating "75% off damaged". She said- I figured you could glue it back together. It went in the trash as soon as we got home!!!!!

This year though I have her #--- I bought her 2 little glass figurines I'd never buy for anyone!!! Okay well almost anyone.... I got them for $0.99 each at Walgreens. No thought- only that they were butterflies and she likes butterflies. I just refuse to put effort into her gifts anymore when she puts none back.

My MIL is the queen of bad gifts. She buys or regifts whatever she can- never thinks of who she is giving it to.

Last year for Christmas she gave me and dh a joint gift of an inflatable shower. Not sure what we were supposed to do w/ it- as yes we do have indoor plumbing these days.

A few years a go she gave me 1/2 a pack of childrens socks. They were a pack of 6 athletic socks for girls. She removed 3 and taped the package back shut and gave me the other 3. She also gave me a used hair dryer stand crusted in old hairspray. She told me she used to use it because her arms would hurt from holding the dryer- but she got a new one. So, she packaged back up the old one and gave it to me for Christmas. She gave my son when he was 12 a toy that was for a toddler. It was a fisher price toy truck. Also, she gave me "sticker earrings" from a vending machine one year. Now, it's not about the money, as she has no problem dropping $500 on a sports card for her boyfriend for Christmas- she's just always been really cheap w/ us.

I know one year she asked what we wanted and we told her new bakeware. She bought us 2 disposable aluminum cookie sheets and a disposable aluminum roasting pan.

The best though was the broken christmas decoration from the Dollar General. I thought at first she didn't know- but then there was a piece of paper taped to the box stating "75% off damaged". She said- I figured you could glue it back together. It went in the trash as soon as we got home!!!!!

This year though I have her #--- I bought her 2 little glass figurines I'd never buy for anyone!!! Okay well almost anyone.... I got them for $0.99 each at Walgreens. No thought- only that they were butterflies and she likes butterflies. I just refuse to put effort into her gifts anymore when she puts none back.

You WIN!!! LOL!!! I couldn't stop laughing reading your post :sidesplit:sidesplit

My dh even found them amusing:)

My step brother gave me 2 dvds that were music videos from the 70's that he had opened, watched, recorded and then wrapped. He even told me they weren't in the plastic because he watched and copied them. I don't even like music videos or 70's music.

My best friend in high school gave me a pair of purple crushed velvet pants with a matching ruffled lavendar top. I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. I have never worn anything like this in my life. The sad thing was she was so proud of it.

DD & SIL recieved a set of huge (24" tall) metal, glitter covered candle holders that looked like gifts stacked for Christmas from his aunt one year. They were so tacky. She put them in a garage sale and no one would buy them for a $1 for the set.

My step brother gave me 2 dvds that were music videos from the 70's that he had opened, watched, recorded and then wrapped. He even told me they weren't in the plastic because he watched and copied them. I don't even like music videos or 70's music.

My best friend in high school gave me a pair of purple crushed velvet pants with a matching ruffled lavendar top. I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. I have never worn anything like this in my life. The sad thing was she was so proud of it.

DD & SIL recieved a set of huge (24" tall) metal, glitter covered candle holders that looked like gifts stacked for Christmas from his aunt one year. They were so tacky. She put them in a garage sale and no one would buy them for a $1 for the set.

Ok, I forgot about the year that my brother gave my husband and I each a blank video tape. I know it's about the thought but he was making decent money at the time. For several years in a row, the whole family got flashlights from radio shack ( the ones that were free with a purchase). He's actually improved over the last few years...

I am loving this thread!

I think probably the worst gift I received was from my grandmother, who was a really sweet lady but DGrandpa didn't give her any money (he was loaded...weird setup) so she had to give us stuff she already had. So one year my cousin and I got these jumpsuit things that were at least 10 years old with tags still on them, in women's sizes. We figured she bought them for herself and never got to wear them, so she gifted us. We loved her anyway :)

Oh, and one year I got an Arkansas Razorback hog head hat from a cousin. We don't live by Arkansas and I'm not a football or basketball fan, or whatever. Yeah, I still have that and am just waiting for a Dirty Santa swap to happen to get rid of it.

This thread is hilarious!!

Okay, my dad used to be a horrible gift giver. now that he's married, SHE does the gift shopping (gift cards!) except once in awhile-- like yesterday in the mail, i got an 18 pack of frozen burgers.

In the past, he has given me --- - a rifle for deer hunting along with that bright orange vest (i've never shot a gun in my life and certainly don't hunt!). once xmas he gave me a diet book from some dumb diet/natural guru dude. one bday he got me a book of poetry from Jewel. Now i like jewel ok, but not like that. One xmas he got my 7 yr old son a 3 foot tall HOLLOW chocolate SANTA! he was SO proud of that. like what were we supposed to do with THREE FOOT TALL chocolate santa! it was around until march then we pitched it. a couple years ago, for some reason Dad thought i LOVED allison kraus & her band, so he spent months and looked high and low for like TEN of her cd's and gave them all to me. he was proud to get all MY FAVORITE cd's...um, no. she's alright & all, but Really? 10?! they are still wrapped and i'm going to put them on ebay (Any takers?). 3 years ago he bought my son and i all weirdo books, like one for me was why the unions were taking down america. now seriously! he got my son some book on tractors or something odd. we took all the books back to a Barnes & Noble hoping that's where he got them. i got some great cookbooks instead. lol! One year he got my son a framed set of 5 $2 bills. i think my son was 6 at the time. the most embarrassing gift dad got me (I'm like xl size) was a bright red bra & panty set from victoria secret -- for mother's day!! i didn't know what it was so i opened the box at the restaurant in from of all the fam! OMGosh, i was horrified! i returned it for $75 credit. OY! lol!

A couple years ago, Dad did come thru with a good gift --- he got me an outdoor smoker. now, i've never been into smokers, but his nephew liked to smoke meat, so he thought i would too. it turned out to be useful and i'm glad he got it.

Oh Good Times & Goofy Gifts!!

My worst was from about 5 years ago. For Christmas, one of the aunts on my mom's side gave me some Hot Wheels. I wouldn't have minded had she given them to me 3 years prior, when I still played with toy cars, but at this point, I wasn't really interested in them anymore. To add insult to injury, my youngest cousin got the Lego set I wanted badly, along with a Gamecube.

It's the though that counts, though, and I did get to experience the madness of Black Friday earlier that year, which did make up for the mostly forgettable gifts.

ok every year my mil gets me clothes. i repeatedly all year tell everyone how i'd rather shop for myslef,..im a big girl..haha everyone understands this except mil...this year i got a navy blue sweatoutfit my grandmother would year like 4 sizes too small..i told my sister one year i'm going to sqeeze myself into it and go on down to her house...walkin in and ask what she thinks of it...hahaha

one year before my hubby and i were married he bought me a cheap necklace then bragged about it for ever,..said things like "I spent more on that necklace than I did some of my cars" haha however he forgot to take the $20.00 foil sticker attached to the inside of teh case. haha

My step grandmother likes to give us "gifts she knows we need" so every year we get one can of spam and a throw rug crafted from walmart bags (somehow she weaves them together, don't ask me how!) This year after I got my new rug to add to the pile in the attic she told me to be sure and save all my bags for her to make me a larger rug next year....oh my. Let me tell you that those rugs are so slippery it is a mess.

Also my dad got us a cd and forgot to take the dollar tree receipt out of the bag he taped shut, my great grandmother usually buys scarf, hat and gloves sets and splits them up among us so this year I got puffy pink mittens, one cousin got the matching scarf, and one cousin the hat...I didn't even know they made mittens for adults! By the way she only does this for the girls, all the guys got $50 walmart cards..gotta love family!

Oh wow these are some cruddy gifts!!

Let's see...this year kind of took the cake. My DH bought me 5 "nightgowns" and teddies from Victoria's Secret. Size medium!! I haven't worn a medium since high school! Then he has the nerve to keep asking me if I was sure they would not fit. Worst part is that he ordered from the website so all he had to do was walk 10 feet into the bedroom to check my size. Oh, and the fact that I do not at all need 5 items of sleazy lingerie. Waste of money if you ask me.

Also, he bought me a very nice Kitchenaid blender so I could make him milkshakes (which I did last night ofc) and a really nice small Kitchenaid frying pan so he can fry eggs without them sticking (that is the only thing I use a small pan for). Oh and pork rinds, yeah pork rinds. And pickles, there were dollar store pickles in my stocking.

I should say that he did get me a nice Kodak camera to replace the one I lost in Niagara Falls. But no memory card and all Christmas day he kept saying, "Why aren't you using your new camera?". I kept telling him that I could not take more than 4 pics w/out the memory card.

I guess I deserve it. I told him not to get me anything but really there are so many things I NEED, like new sneakers, a laptop, clothes (you know the kind you can wear in public). GC's would have been awesome. I just felt like crying all day Christmas Day.

Edited by miller205