People Already In Line - Post Your Reports

bigjimslade

I just cant believe that many people are already camped out...seems too many for so early...and the only thing I have seen on any of the news channels is a couple of diehards in California, so I dont know...I know that we live in an big city (St. Louis) and even with the cold weather and all the people looking for deals, getting to Best Buy or any store for that matter by around 7:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving day is more than sufficient to get the deals you want! Not saying I don't believe you, just saying I cant see that many people camping out this early for ads that are less than lackluster! And I am one of those that camps out for the night on Thursday, so not bashing them, just cant buy that many people out already!

I think the camping out is more for the experience than for the deals...I did it 2 yrs ago at BB and do not feel a need to do it ever again (too much corruption in the line, very frustrating and not fairly run)...however i'm glad i did it, met great people (many in line since thurs morning), bonded with strangers who became friends as the hours passed. My family has always thought that I was completely nuts to go out on BF at all (rather camping out), and it's always just been my thing (my only friend that does BF is hours away from me, but we talk on the phone during the wait)...still, i'll be out early this year for the experience of it all, the excitement more than the potential deals (although if anyone gets in the way of my life size barbie doll at WM i will take you out). ;)

This is why I don't write much. People don't stick to the facts. Many are great at throwing out character judgements. And that is not a judgement, it is a truth.

Me-I have 7 kids and 4 grandkids. I have fitted 6 of the kids with BF laptops over the last three years and will try to outfit the older grandkids this year as their parents can't afford them and it is becoming more and more necessary for children to have access to a computer at home for their school work. Yes the prices on the laptops are falling, but not enough that I can pass up a starter one for the children in my family. Since I work every other weekend from 7am to 7pm I am not always able to get to the store for the interim sales. Also the small items like cruzers add up. I am lucky enough to be able to arrange my schedule ahead of time and dedicate this paycheck each year to BF shopping so most of my Christmas shopping will be done by Friday pm.

We feel it is fun. We choose to spend our time this way. We don't try to convince others they need to go or not go. End of story.

50 @ WM and 26 @ BB

9:55pm CST

Good heavens, that's insane! People must really have lots of idle time these days.

Thinking about it, I think there's a direct correlation between the deals getting worse as the campers increase. I remember in the '90s, when I first started hitting Black Friday sales, the deals were much better - hot items were regularly at 50% or more off their normal prices. However, as people have shown both that they'll show up earlier, and in greater numbers anyway, just because it's "Black Friday", retailers have little incentive to offer truly great, once-a-year deals. Why would BB knock 50% off a TV or computer if people will camp out for only 10-20% off? Great deals are incentives, and as more people show up on Black Friday, the need for retailers to offer incentives decreases.

How can ANY BF item be worth camping out for 3 days?

If a person makes $250 a day at work and spends 3 days in line, how does that justify the time?

Even if the person waiting for 3 days is in college, is your time and effort not worth staying home?

Personally, I will not wait in line for more than 30 minutes anywhere or for anything, BF or not. Just not worth my time. definitely not worth the $200 you saved on that computer you waited 3 days in line to get.

I just don't get the way people think.

Just to note...Myself personally...the days I take off from work are paid. And they don't eat into my vacation or sick time...so if I wanted to camp out for 3 days I would be camping and getting paid. I think a lot of other people's jobs are similar...in the sense they take vacation time, or personal time, sick time etc. I think it just varies with each job.

I would probably not camp out for that long, I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I prefer the comfort of my bed! :) Now...12hrs or 20hrs...yeah I prolly would! LOL!!

I think the camping out is more for the experience than for the deals...I did it 2 yrs ago at BB and do not feel a need to do it ever again (too much corruption in the line, very frustrating and not fairly run)...however i'm glad i did it, met great people (many in line since thurs morning), bonded with strangers who became friends as the hours passed. My family has always thought that I was completely nuts to go out on BF at all (rather camping out), and it's always just been my thing (my only friend that does BF is hours away from me, but we talk on the phone during the wait)...still, i'll be out early this year for the experience of it all, the excitement more than the potential deals (although if anyone gets in the way of my life size barbie doll at WM i will take you out). ;)

Those generally echo my sentiments regarding Black Friday. But I think that in spite of the less than jaw-dropping sales prices, people will still be lining up earlier. The economy is in the tank. I suspect that there are more than a few people who think that this just might be their last Christmas to give larger/more expensive gifts (anticipating the rougher times ahead).

I guess I'll have to do my recon early this year. People already in line? Nuts. I'll check out BB and CC in Mt. Laurel NJ as well as BB in Cherry Hill NJ. I could walk to my local Wally World, but I honestly don't see anything worth camping for.

Yea, it is a fun experience, my dad and I did it 2 years ago at BB when the sales were actually worth camping for. The crowd was great, and we policed the line to perfection. Anyway, I may take my video camera for some Youtube fun.

The only thing I see worth buying personally is the $199 7.1 Sony receiver at BB, which noone is talking about. I think I can get to BB 6am on bf and just pick one up. We'll see

Did I miss something? I don't think the deals are that great (just like last year). Back in the good old days of 2002, I got to BB 2 hours before they opened and was 2nd in line.... Unless something appears at the last minute I'm going to Radio Shack, buy some blank DVDs and call it a day.

Complete craziness for anyone to be out this early. the deals are really weak compared to past years. Alas, I think to many have been caught up in the hype and stores are taking advantage of this not coming foward with deep discounts like 4 or 5 years ago. Every year as the crowds increase the discounts decrease

The longest I have ever waited in line was 1 hour. I might try the online thing this year and maybe get a little sleep. Between hosting T-Day and juggling kids, I doubt that I will get anywhere more than 20 minutes before opening. My time is too valuable to spend it waiting in the cold. It's not like they are offering something that you can't get any other time for a few dollars more.

I am so lucky I guess. I live in a rural area and sure we have the big stores and malls but I never have to line up to get a BF deal at all. And camping out already---that is NUTS. I would never miss my Thanksgiving day with my family so I could stand in line and freeze. I know to some people it's the experience of it all, but WOW----it's still crazy.

IMO the sales are not worth it, 2 years ago sales worth every dime to stand in line for 13 hrs; but last year we shopped on line I went to sears 2 hrs prior to opening, funny thing though last 2 years we met some guy who says he stands in line every year at JCpenney for the SNOW GLOBE not to even buy any deals but to get a globe, how ridic! boy what some pwople will do for a lousy $5.00 globe.

Not getting in line this year unless I see something diff in ads tmorrow, but will probably go get a few things but not in for much, money is tight to. Kinda of puts you in the dumps for xmas spirit.

Last 2 years we were booming from our business and this year work has been awful income wise, I need some bail-out money, where's mine?