50" Samsung 720P Plasma for $798 at Best Buy.com

bigemoney1

I worked at Best Buy for a while and I would recommend Samsung to anyone looking for a good quality HDTV. They definitely know the technology. 720p is a little outdated, but the difference is not quite worth the extra few hundred dollars, if you are on a budget. A 720p NAME BRAND tv is always going to be better than a 1080p NO NAME BRAND tv, no matter what anyone tells you. No-name-brand tvs just won't last very long before they need repair or replacement. Believe me I have seen the amount of returns on cheap brand tvs. Bottomline, its a great tv for the price.

I just purchased the 50" today the the Sales Associate said that this retails for over $1700.00. They did not have any demos out but she said that this is a very good deal. She recommended that if you will not be using a blue ray dvd player to just get the 720 rather then the 1080. Due to the fact that the HDMI cable is 720.

I bought one 3 years ago and LOVE IT! That is a GREAT price and you will not be sorry. I love their 800 number I have had to call several times for help with surround sound and my cable with the TV and they have always been very helpful (no fault of the tv, I am not very technical!) , in fact the last time I called the extended my warranty for an additional 6 months for no additional charge....I will always purchase this brand from here on out. Great Product and wonderful customer service.

The only problem with a plasma tv is the burn in. They still can't quite master the problem. It isn't permanent typically though. Most have what they call a WIPE feature that makes the screen all white for about 10 minutes. I have a 1080p Hitachi plasma that I need to use the wipe feature after watching a movie that has the black bars on the side. But the plasma tv has a faster refresh rate, meaning that you can watch high speed footage like football or action movies without the ghosting images. And the colors are more true and bright, and the black and whites are better. I own both LCD and Plasma and I can't side with on over the other. They both are good in their own ways. Plasma is better for sports and movies and they are cheaper for the bigger sizes. The LCD is good for smaller tvs in every day watching. Hope that helps.

Tried to order this, but it's unavailable for pickup at any of my local Best Buys... Didn't want to spend extra $70 on delivery or drive to Eau Claire, WI, (236 miles away) to get it in-store. Hopefully, Amazon will come up with a similar TV with free shippping...

This Sammy A400 is last years model, hence the discount. Spend the extra hundred or 2 and get the A450 which Newegg has for 1029.00 (much better than the 1199 @ CC and 1299 @ BB).

Also, new plasma tv's arent prone to burn in as one person stated. Maybe back a couple years ago they were but its relatively non existent today (unless you buy an off brand like Vizio, etc). Research and you will find this is true. Also, IMO LCD's have a limited viewing area, get off axis to the tv and the screen blurs, plasma's do not do this. LCD's have a hard time displaying deep blacks where as plasma's are much better at this as well.

Just do some research before buying any TV and attempt to get independant info from like CNet or similar. You have to be careful about what you read in these threads.

This Sammy A400 is last years model, hence the discount. Spend the extra hundred or 2 and get the A450 which Newegg has for 1029.00 (much better than the 1199 @ CC and 1299 @ BB).

Also, new plasma tv's arent prone to burn in as one person stated. Maybe back a couple years ago they were but its relatively non existent today (unless you buy an off brand like Vizio, etc). Research and you will find this is true. Also, IMO LCD's have a limited viewing area, get off axis to the tv and the screen blurs, plasma's do not do this. LCD's have a hard time displaying deep blacks where as plasma's are much better at this as well.

Just do some research before buying any TV and attempt to get independant info from like CNet or similar. You have to be careful about what you read in these threads.

what would be the advantage to get the 450, they are both 720?

I think this is the best deal I've seen and no waiting in crazy lines!

what would be the advantage to get the 450, they are both 720?

I think this is the best deal I've seen and no waiting in crazy lines!

Well, like I said research is your friend. Lets see, some of the differences between the 400 and 450 are contrast ratio, inputs, etc and the biggie, the 400 is last years model. I agree they are both 720P's but take a look at some of the AVS forums and you'll come to find out that their are issues w/the 400 (which is a repackaged 2007 model).

Honestly, do you think your really getting a 1500-2000 plasma for 800?

I just purchased the 50" today the the Sales Associate said that this retails for over $1700.00. They did not have any demos out but she said that this is a very good deal. She recommended that if you will not be using a blue ray dvd player to just get the 720 rather then the 1080. Due to the fact that the HDMI cable is 720.

HDMI cables can handle 1080P just fine and then some. And 720P will blow you away if you're used to regular TV. The difference you'll notice between 720P vs. 1080i vs 1080P is absolutely MINUSCULE compared to the difference between any one of them and regular TV.

BTW, 1080P is a resolution of 1920x1080x(24 or 30)Hz.

HDMI is a compact audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed digital streams, but even the oldest HDMI standards supported up to 1920x1200x65Hz and the only limitation here was the coders/decoders involved at the DVD players/TV monitors - not the cable itself. HDMI 1.3 (which is the standard at the moment) can even go up to 2560x1600x75Hz.

So, if you go with a 720P HDTV, that's fine and I believe you'll probably be just as happy with it as if you'd gone with a 1080P (maybe even more happy for the money you saved), but don't do so on the premise that the HDMI cable won't be able to send the signal because it can.

And the difference between a $70 HDMI cable and a $6 HDMI cable is NADA, NOTHING, ZIP, ZILCH. We're talking digital signals here - 1's and 0's - not analog signals. The strength of an analog signal makes a huge difference in the picture. But a TV interprets a strong 0 exactly the same as it does a weak 0, so you don't need to throw your hard earned money away on an expensive HDMI cable. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap HDMI cable from someplace like Meritline.com or something. Now, the argument between HDMI vs. Component (red/blue/green) cables is another story. My personal suggestion here is if you're only going to need a cable of 15ft or less, go HDMI. If its longer, go Component.

Hope this helps someone...

Actually if you do your research well enough, you will find that all plasmas will have temporary burn in. That is still very much a problem for ALL plasmas, they just create way too much heat for the pixels to cool off, even with orbiting pixel screen savers that the new plasmas have. I think that most of the reviews and so called experts haven't used plasmas for a long enough period in everyday situations to make the correct review of this problem. Plus "unbiased" reviewers like Cnet and others are actually paid a lot like politicians. They review what they get the most money from. Believe me I have worked with Plasmas everyday since they came out and I have seen all the problems and benefits of each brand and style. I love plasmas but no one will be able to tell me that burn in doesn't happen on the "new" models. Unless of course you buy a $6000+ plasma like a Pioneer Elite or better. But these budget tvs that go on sale for under $1500 are going to see at least a temporary burn in that needs to be wiped occasionally. Sounds like you have been sold by a smooth tv salesman, or perhaps Cnet.

Actually if you do your research well enough, you will find that all plasmas will have temporary burn in. That is still very much a problem for ALL plasmas, they just create way too much heat for the pixels to cool off, even with orbiting pixel screen savers that the new plasmas have. I think that most of the reviews and so called experts haven't used plasmas for a long enough period in everyday situations to make the correct review of this problem. Plus "unbiased" reviewers like Cnet and others are actually paid a lot like politicians. They review what they get the most money from. Believe me I have worked with Plasmas everyday since they came out and I have seen all the problems and benefits of each brand and style. I love plasmas but no one will be able to tell me that burn in doesn't happen on the "new" models. Unless of course you buy a $6000+ plasma like a Pioneer Elite or better. But these budget tvs that go on sale for under $1500 are going to see at least a temporary burn in that needs to be wiped occasionally. Sounds like you have been sold by a smooth tv salesman, or perhaps Cnet.

Ahh, another know it all. CNet, AVS Forum, all the other reviews and reviewers are wrong but you. Im glad you have worked w/Plasmas since they have been out. Hmm, I have a Kuro and I can tell you my son games often and there is no burn in whatsoever. I guess the people on this forum should listen to you instead of the industry experts. Yeah, I'll take my chances w/an expert that is paid by the manufacturers....just like the politicians. Geesh.....

I tired to buy this tv today, I live in Georgia and when I put it in my cart it's not avialabe for delivery, so then I try to enter "in store" pick up and I get a reading of "not available" in my area. It never said the items was "Sold out" just not available in this area. It make me wounder sometimes- it is just a scam to get you to visit their web site and purchase something else?

I tired to buy this tv today, I live in Georgia and when I put it in my cart it's not avialabe for delivery, so then I try to enter "in store" pick up and I get a reading of "not available" in my area. It never said the items was "Sold out" just not available in this area. It make me wounder sometimes- it is just a scam to get you to visit their web site and purchase something else?

Well this was posted three days ago, so it's probably out of stock. When I checked right now, it said "Sold out online" and to try your local stores, and none around me, my parents, or my sister had it.