Kids & Santa

buckaboo21

Do you have younger children? As each of mine has learned the Santa story, I lessened their "pain" by letting them in on the fun. :) They then were given the joy of helping to fill the stocking of the next child younger (I have three, one still believes). So my oldest got to help choose items for the middle child's stocking. Then he in turn got to help with the youngest child's stocking. They put a LOT of thought in to those stockings. When my youngest learns the story she will get to help stuff the dog's stocking. She'll love that. If you don't have other children or pets, you might let her be Santa for a neighbor or someone you know who could use a lift by stuffing a stocking for them and leaving it secretly from Santa. My kids thinking BEING Santa beats believing in Santa any day. :)

my 13yo has known for some time now, but I still insist that our family believes, and if you dont believe you dont get a present from him (which is usually a pretty good one) so it is kind of a big fun joke (anything to drive a teenager crazy!) and he also always gets presents from the dogs!

my 13yo has known for some time now, but I still insist that our family believes, and if you dont believe you dont get a present from him (which is usually a pretty good one) so it is kind of a big fun joke (anything to drive a teenager crazy!) and he also always gets presents from the dogs!

:gdyeahthat: My dd13 said something about no santa and I told her if she didn't believe she wouldn't get a santa present. She kinda doubted I would take it away and then decided she didn't want to take the chance. My older two, ds15 and ds18 know better than to say anything. :tongue1:

We were told that Santa is the spirit of giving. And even if he isn't a real person he is still very real.

The first year we knew that Santa wasn't a person we each got to play Santa. Mom and Dad showed us where the gifts were and we got to put them out for our younger siblings. And now even though we are adults Santa still comes. We were also told that Santa only came to those who said they belived. It kept us from blabbing to our siblings, cousins, etc. because if we said that Santa wasn't real we wouldn't be getting any gifts from him that year.

My dd who is 6 was at school ,and every week there is a special person. When it was my dd week in Sept. she wanted mom and dad to be santa she thought that would be sooo awesome.

Someone at school told her last week there is no santa. She came home all mad about it , and her sister who is 9 got involved. She told her ( she still believes) "They are liars! There is a santa I SAW him last year." I said, you did? She said," Yes I know it was him, he had on the big santa suit, those boots and a beard as white as snow." he came in our room and checked if we where awake or not so she closed her eyes fast." She said I heard him down stairs in the livingroom and he made a ho ho ho sound"

My dd6 was like WOW!!!!!!!!!

I thought holy cow isn't her mind creative!!!!!!!!!!!

I told dd9 to keep that story to herself, because there are always kids who don't believe so to keep it under her hat.

I think she is going to struggle NOT believeing after that. He brother who is 12 giggles and shakes his head.

We have our older child help with shopping, hiding gifts, wrapping etc he thinks its more fun then believing in santa now. the key is to keep it fun when they know. I like the idea if there is no sibling to help with help someone else by being there santa.

I told my kids about how Santa (Once a real person had a vision to see that all the children had a little something for Christmas be it fruit and little toy, or nuts etc) came to be, and how he still lives on in spirit and through the parents making his vision carry forward.

I also made sure they know the real meaning behind Christmas and they also support an Angel tree child or needy family with the Church.

My kids have always known there is no Santa..but still have fun with "him" anyway....taking pictures, supposedly getting gifts from him, etc...

I am actually amazed at how long kids go on believing....5th grade etc....somehow at a very early age (I think it was kindergarten) I found out accidentally on my own.

Like Kandy, we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas and because of that reason alone Santa is just an afterthought.

My Ds 10 knew last year and he played along great because of Ally who was then 3 years old. When he asked last year, I knew that he already knew the correct answer. I could tell. So I told him the truth. He has been keeping it up this year too. To keep things fun for him, he gets to make a list just as she does. Only with him, his list is huge and I get to pick off from it. So in a way he is suprised. He is begging to go BF shopping with me, but I don't think thats a good idea. I told him that he can go shopping that weekend with me. He is going to pick out gifts for people this year like his girlfriend, sister, dad and grand parents. He really likes the idea of that. He likes that he is in on the "big secert" too. He has 4 others nieces and nephews that look up to him, so when Santa comes to his Nana's house on Christmas eve, he will be playing along with all of the grown ups. His sister makes him sit on Santa's lap, that's one thing he does not like, but he does it for her. I am enjoying watching him understand what all we have to do to make Christmas and Santa come alive. And I am glad he is apart of it all.

I have a 14 yo, soon to be 10yo and a 5 yo....My 14yo knows the deal but helps me by putting out the gifts and even shopping some for the stocking stuffers! She also knows if you don't believe in Santa he doesn't bring anything for you! ;)

I have always taken my kids shopping for a few things and make them take the gifts to toys for tots. They know that some kids parents don't have the $$ to buy their children gifts...even on years we have been strapped we have donated something. I always make a point of telling them how happy the little boy/girl is going to be that gets 'our' gifts and say now we know how Santa feels by 'giving' to everyone.

Please keep in mind: There is a little Santa in all of us!

We also bake and take goodies to some older people in the neighborhood who don't have many visitors and that is year round! Older people without family are happy to have a little time with you (and seeing the magic of Christmas in the kids eyes this time of year)!

I can't even imagine saying the words out loud! I grew up with the rule about not receiving if you don't believe and my kids will do the same. I got Santa gifts until I was 23 and got married! My BFF told her son this year (he's 9) that you know who isn't real....and the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, et al. I was horrified...I think she kind of ruined the magic. My kids know the real meaning of the season but they also know that Christmas is magical and the myth is part of the magic! Most kids figure it out on their own and they don't really want it to end so they play along.

my lovely SIL tried to tell my daughter 2 years ago there is no santa. I am fine with her telling her kids that he is a detractor from what they believe in but OMG I have never wanted to wallop someone upside the head so badly/ Totally NOT her place but she rarely understands boundaries

Luckily DD just said "Guess ____ & ____ are so bad Aunt___ tells them there is no Santa" to which mommy replied "yep"

I know not my most adult moment but I'm ok with that :P

you can still have all the fun of the season....go take a pic with the mall santa, build a gingerbread house, make cookies and leave out the very best ones, adopt a needy family and personally shop for them (that is the TRUE Santa spirit)

my kids get a gift on Christmas eve and it's always a new pair of pj's and they don't get to see anything else until the morning...everything is wrapped and it's all a surprise and lots of fun

Keep the fun of Santa alive by being Santa! Play Santa for the needy. Contact the Salvation Army or similar charity and be Santa for someone in need! Try to find a child the same age and gender as your child and let him or her help shop for them!

I already do this w/DD9, and I expect her to take an even more central role in it when we're no longer leaving out milk and cookies Xmas Eve. (And BTW I will cry my eyes out that Xmas Eve... I'm just hoping she won't admit anything to me for a couple more years...)